PDA

View Full Version : Kid shows up in class wearing his bb from other dojo

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

crappler
8/31/2009 10:42pm,
I've always wondered what the etiquette was for showing up at another dojo in your bb from another place. I always considered it a challenge. This kid shows up today in class. Respectful as all hell, asking me not to hurt him and I'm there wrapped up in my little colored belt. Turns out he is an Aikido Larper.

This poor kid has no idea how fucking cruel Karate is.

crawford
8/31/2009 10:49pm,
my understanding is the etiquette is simple; always contact the sensei before even stepping foot in the dojo. If it's not the art you got the bb in, expect to wear a white belt. If it's the same art, then chances are you'll be allowed to wear your bb, and given a formal introduction to the class as a visitor, etc.

Very dumb and very rude to show up wearing a bb in a different style.

hadoken
8/31/2009 10:51pm,
i'd say humility is required and the belt should be left at home.

maofas
8/31/2009 11:02pm,
Don't injure him, but push him until he pukes.

henshinx
8/31/2009 11:03pm,
when I switched over to kyokushin I didnt even bother asking the teacher I just showed up with a plain gi and white belt. Foresight is a good ally

Happy Panda
8/31/2009 11:04pm,
Back when I was younger and stupider, I wore my Kenpo brown belt to the first BJJ gym I had been to. Wasn't because I wanted to keep my rank or whatever, it was just the only belt I had to hold my gi together with. Didn't think it would be a big deal since I had never really paid attention to belts, didn't think they were important.

BJJ guys are a bit more serious about it, obviously. At most places I probably would've got worked, but they politely explained it and gave me a white belt to wear. Wasn't really an issue, and I don't see why it should be.

I still think belts are stupid.

mike321
8/31/2009 11:09pm,
Not good etiquette but avoid the "consider it a challenge" mentality. That can lead to some old school silliness that is worse than the etiquette miss. Happy Panda's school sounds like they handled it well.

theotherserge
8/31/2009 11:28pm,
I've had some advanced guys come by occassionally. Because of how I am, I've always encouraged them to "wear what they earned" That way, if what they do sucks, we can laugh at it later; or if what they do is teh awesome then we can compliment them/ask them for tips/pointers etc. I don't care as long as the learning environment is good for me and my group.

Its funny that the BJJ/Judo guys always have asked "Is there a color-coded system for Sambo" and I or one of my guys says "We just wear the jacket and belt to match" So I've had BB's in white and it was just obvious who/what they were. They just rolled with us and didn't interfere with "this is how we do things in F4G J!ZU" or whatever they do.

To me, that is the Sambo ideal: you learn from working with/competing with, other styles. Steal openly and don't hide anything.

It's the 'tards that have a 2nd degree brown in Krav Maga (WTF is that?!?!) or some other bullshido-style that get all antsy about wearing their belt and "sharing" information, except for the things that are too dangerous to train.

I say leg-kick the **** out of this guy... btw crappler, I love that avatar!!

searcher66071
8/31/2009 11:44pm,
This kid should have left the belt at home, even if the instructor said it was OK. Back in February I started training again in Kenpo and I left my BB at home and put back on a white belt(not to mention that I already had rank in Kenpo).

Respect aside, it is better to show some humility by starting over.

Purpleskunk
9/01/2009 12:21am,
Somebody posted something about switching judo schools and received a black belt there, only going backto his former school where his sensei? didnt like the idea of him wearing a blackbelt, so he wore what the latter gave him.

MrGalt
9/01/2009 12:49am,
I would say that if you are visiting from out of town or because a friend trains there or something like that and your uniform is clearly not from that school wear your native belt. Nobody's going to think you're pretending to be ranked at that school. I've visited with a white belt a couple of places when I was younger and when it came time for sparring people said they felt like I was trying to sucker them since I didn't spar like a white belt. Basically I think it depends on your motivation.

If you're signing up in a new school or style then absolutely put on the white belt or whatever appropriate sign of n00bity is required at that school.

crappler
9/01/2009 1:28am,
Back when I was younger and stupider, I wore my Kenpo brown belt to the first BJJ gym I had been to. Wasn't because I wanted to keep my rank or whatever, it was just the only belt I had to hold my gi together with. Didn't think it would be a big deal since I had never really paid attention to belts, didn't think they were important.

BJJ guys are a bit more serious about it, obviously. At most places I probably would've got worked, but they politely explained it and gave me a white belt to wear. Wasn't really an issue, and I don't see why it should be.

I still think belts are stupid.

They aren't stupid they hold my pants up...

SaintHamish
9/01/2009 1:31am,
Punch his nipples then eat his belt......smoke bomb......

crappler
9/01/2009 1:36am,
I'm thinking this is a really perfect opportunity for something. Any suggestions?

Meex
9/01/2009 1:53am,
I once took a visiting friend to train at a particular dojo
who's style my visiting friend told me, he had earned a
green belt in. . .which I forwarded to the instructor when
I asked if he could train there while visiting.

This "friend" - let's call him "Dick" - shows up with the proper
gi, and a black belt. No explanation, just put it on and walked
onto the training floor.

The instructor doesn't say a word, but I knew he noticed the bb.

During the night's training, Dick was put down so many times I
thought it was a comedy roast!! LOL

After a while he noticed all of his training partners were bb's, and
each time they switched he got schooled by a fresh, new bb.

To top it off, he even got a first hand look from the instructor! Yay!

After the training, the instructor says to me, "Eh, I thought you said
your friend was a green belt?"

"Uhh. . .yeah, that's what he told me."

"Well, WTF is up with the bb? 'cause brah, that ain't no black belt!"

So I call Dick over and ask him.
With the instructor awaiting a response, Dick says,
"I didn't think it mattered, so I wore my (kempo) belt!"

The instructor said, "Let me tell you. . .because you
wore that bb to train here, we accepted it as such, and
we made sure you trained at a bb level. You did not
impress anyone, and we knew you either were not a bb,
or that your training was not up to our standards. so the
guys tried to give you a break. Kind of - haha!"

"You are welcome to come and train anytime, please wear
the proper level belt, next time."

`~/

moral? Don't be a Dick!

Cuchulain
9/01/2009 3:41am,
As a 5th gup Tang Soo Do practitioner I attended a Kyokushin class. I asked the Instructor what I should wear, and he said that I was welcome to train in my Tang Soo Do Dobahk and belt adding "In Kyokushin we respect other styles". Needless to say the next time I trained in his dojo, I chose to wear a white belt.