PDA

View Full Version : I got my ass kicked by a 60+ year old man

Pages : [1] 2

honest_truth
8/30/2009 5:52pm,
Technically i got my face punched in and now have a headache.

i went to my MT club and there was a boxing coach, who trained Olympians, so he was working on some technique with one of the guys there who was getting punched around, while that guy was recovering he asked me if i wanted to work on something, i said mainly defense and my habit of punching from a distance (i'm more used to using punches as a diversion to kicking)

so we got in the ring and worked for half an hour on my problems, during which i got punched everywhere, but i learned a lot too.

at first i felt bad i couldnt hold my own against someone who could be my grandfather, then i asked our head coach who said that he was sparring full contact with another guy who is my size but ripped with muscle everywhere, and the coach knocked him around till the other guy was dizzy so they went easier.

that old man deserves a medal and i want to be like him when i grew old, 60 years old and beating up ripped 20-something year old boys.

(My defense also sucks, but now i know how to work on it)

Sley
8/30/2009 6:18pm,
Technically i got my face punched in and now have a headache.

i went to my MT club and there was a boxing coach, who trained Olympians, so he was working on some technique with one of the guys there who was getting punched around, while that guy was recovering he asked me if i wanted to work on something, i said mainly defense and my habit of punching from a distance (i'm more used to using punches as a diversion to kicking)

so we got in the ring and worked for half an hour on my problems, during which i got punched everywhere, but i learned a lot too.

at first i felt bad i couldnt hold my own against someone who could be my grandfather, then i asked our head coach who said that he was sparring full contact with another guy who is my size but ripped with muscle everywhere, and the coach knocked him around till the other guy was dizzy so they went easier.

that old man deserves a medal and i want to be like him when i grew old, 60 years old and beating up ripped 20-something year old boys.

(My defense also sucks, but now i know how to work on it)

hummm proof that Boxing is not all brute force

Permalost
8/30/2009 6:34pm,
That's what you get for challenging Omega.

JollyRoger
8/30/2009 6:40pm,
That's what you get for challenging Omega.

+1 Zing! :headbang:

Kentucky Fried Chokin
8/31/2009 12:36am,
The same thing happened to me in BJJ.

marcell
8/31/2009 1:13am,
Never underestimate dudes with gray hair. I've learned that the hard way also.

marcusdbrutus
8/31/2009 1:20am,
Old man strength is hugely underrated.

100xobm
8/31/2009 1:42am,
This wouldn't even be worth mentioning in judo, it's different in strikeistan though, and worthy of merit.

littleoldme
8/31/2009 4:49am,
Never underestimate dudes with gray hair. I've learned that the hard way also.

this guy learned the hard way too

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01434/boxer_1434110c.jpg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/lawandorder/5698062/Burglar-left-bruised-and-bleeding-by-retired-boxer-72.html

socratic
8/31/2009 7:12am,
Did he look like Clint Eastwood? If so then you should have excepted an assbeating.

sempaiman
8/31/2009 7:30am,
...gray power!!!

2Many
8/31/2009 8:31am,
Did he look like Clint Eastwood? If so then you should have excepted an assbeating.

He must have felt lucky.

Jim_Jude
8/31/2009 11:42am,
"...an old man asked me if I wanted to train..."

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f114/jim_jude_3/AdmiralAckbarKnowsaTrap.jpg

permahudef
8/31/2009 12:57pm,
I train MT with someone who says he's 70. He doesn't look 70 to me, and he sure doesn't move like he's 70. He's one of those super-active seniors you hear about on the news. He says he started Karate in the 1950's and won a bunch of tournaments.

One day he did the fitness kickboxing class before Muay Thai. As we were doing a warmup (jumping over a rope at knee height 40 times, then jump over and crawl under just touching with your hands and feet), he was starting to slow down (but still pwning most of the people there). I joked "Pete, I dunno about that fitness kickboxing...I think it's making you out of shape...you're moving like you're a 40-year-old man!"

We're pretty even in striking, but I'd give him the edge. Sneaky-old-man-southpaw style with experience.

crappler
8/31/2009 2:27pm,
It's a lie. I am basically made of glass. The grey hairs are a sign that I am one day away from a wheel chair. You have absolutely nothing to be afraid of.

Permalost
8/31/2009 2:56pm,
Dog Brothers gatherings are like this- not that they're super old, but the older guys that don't look like much can really fight well. Equalizers.