PDA

View Full Version : Gracies In Action

Pages : [1] 2 3

Matt W.
1/29/2004 11:10am,
After having seen many clips here and there, I finally got the complete tapes of Gracies in A.tion 1 & 2. My thoughts...

First of all, it was highly, HIGHLY entertaining! Actually had me laughing out loud a couple of times. The best had to be when, during a grudge match, after getting beat mercilessly about the head and face by a Gracie from mount, a kikcboxer's corner throws in the towel only to have someone in the crowd yank it back out! Then the ref goes over to pull it back it, then pauses TO WIPE HIS FACE WITH IT before stopping the fight! LOL!

I also was very surprised at the style of fighting. It was a very MMA type approach. I was very surprised by how much ground and pound, and even trading from the clinch that I saw. It was not the ground/submission only style of fighting that I assumed it would be. I always new that Vale Tudo style training was a part of G/BJJ, but I never knew how extensive the striking aspect was. Many times their expertise on the ground was used to establish a dominate position simply so that they could strike. Silly me, I thought wrestlers like Coleman "invented" GnP. Heh.

Finally, when fighting people untrained in groundfighting, it always goes the same way... Takedown, some strikes or sub attempts until the guy turtles up, followed by a rear naked choke. Heck, I do that to friends who want to fight or "wrassle" all the time. And I suck! And even though many, many more MAists are becoming familiar with groundfighting, it is still amazing to me how many people are just like those guys in GiA and have no idea what to even expect.

Everyone interested in real fighting should watch these tapes, regardless of their chosen stye!

Regards,
Matt

Matt W.
1/29/2004 11:16am,
Yeah, that was supposed to be a bit of sarcasm, Os. Read a dry tone in my Coleman comment.

Matt

Gezere
1/29/2004 11:31am,
LOL

*Buys Matt a timemachine to join the 21st Century!*

Actually I been taking a trip back myself. I been watching old UFC fights and I got in a lot of old Judo and Jiu Jitsu (since that was the accepted romanization then) books. It really is surprising that damn near everything pple are salavating over in todays MMA and JJ community was being taught all along. It makes me really wonder how JJ was trully forgoten for so long. You find more JJ books than another MA (except Judo but then called Kano Jiu Jitsu in english books) and they show techniques for dealing with Boxers, wrestlers, 'hooligans' (especially pick pockets), and others. The Gracies definitely get credit for resurfacing these methods and training. I think a good project would be to scan these books and turn them into pdfs for the site.

Vargas
1/29/2004 11:48am,
I think the problem in MA has been the 'noise' factor. The good techniques have been there all along, but there has been so much misinformation muddying the waters that most people didn't know what was real and what was bullshit. TV and movies definitely played their part, as did the Western tendency to believe just about anything martial-arts related that originated from Asia (the continent, not the moderator :) ) ****, I just had a challenge-match last Friday against a taller, heavier oppenent and guess how it went? We traded strikes, I shot in, took him to the ground, got the mount, ground and pounded a little, then finished with an armbar. Then he tried to shoot in, I sprawled, took his back, rear naked choke. There have probably been, oh, six or seven million fights in the last decade that probably resembled those two matches but you would never know it looking through an issue of Black Belt magazine. Re-inventing the wheel is a time-honored military tradition that has been exported to the martial arts, I swear to God. . .

Gezere
1/29/2004 12:26pm,
Media definitely has had a hand in it. The late 60s and 70s were flooded with Chop Sokey flicks where 90% of the pple on the films weren't MArtist, Everyone thought he had to act like Bruce Lee or Gordon Liu in order to fight. This carried over to the 80s and the infamous NINJA Boom. Basicly many pple were wrapped up in Martial Fantasy more than anything. Yeah to many the UFC was a eye opener. It reawakened a need for proper training (I really can't say the need for groundwork anymore because one of the JJ books is 3/4 ground work and it was published in 1942!!!)

Times now are kind of funny. The most poplurar form of Jiu Jitsu comes from Brazil, Japan has deployed troops to a combat zone, and Germany has been PROTESTING a war.

Vargas
1/29/2004 12:34pm,
What kills me is the difference between Japan and the U.S. with regards to combat sports. The Japanese, one of the more polite and orderly cultures I've ever seen, LOVE combat sports and will sell out the Tokyo Dome for K-1 or Pride. Here in the U.S., home of the redneck, MMA is hanging on by it's fingernails and even the UFC can barely turn a profit. Go figure.

Punisher
1/29/2004 12:36pm,
The thing that bothered me the most about the "Gracies in Action" tape was Rorion's commentary. I know these are basically infomericals for GJJ, but it really turned me off. Continusly hearing how the Gracie represntative could have finshed the fight at any time but CHOSE to prolong it or the only reason certain fights weren't massacares was the opponents knew some ju-jistsu, although not the TRUE Gracie Ju-jistsu, drowned out a lot the other stuff he was saying that had merit.

BeLikeWater
1/29/2004 12:38pm,
vargas says

Here in the U.S., home of the redneck, MMA is hanging on by it's fingernails and even the UFC can barely turn a profit. Go figure.

ignorant question here but how much of this would have to do with either boxing and/or politician's being against such entertainment?

Matt W.
1/29/2004 12:51pm,
Punisher,

Actually, I have heard comments like that before. So I was expecting it to be pretty bad. But, IMO, it wasn't at all. I heard Rorion repeatedly say to have "Gracie Shiushitsu" as a "back up" to your other style. I heard him repeatedly say that punching and kicking is good, but if you don't know how to groundfight, punching and kicking won't save you. Both those things are pretty much accepted as true today. And even when he talked about prolonging the fight to prove a point, it didn't look like baseless trash-talking to me, it looked like it was true! Heh, heh.

Anyway, sure he was promoting his style. But it wasn't the type of trash talking I was expecting.

Regards,
Matt

Vargas
1/29/2004 12:57pm,
Probably a little bit. Even in it's glory days back in the early 90s, though, NHB was still a fringe sport. Kickboxing has been in the U.S. for decades, never got the bad rap that MMA got, but is still regulated to ESPN2 late at night. Rugby would be the perfect American sport (violent, lots of non-stop action, looks a lot like American football) but has never made it past the club team stage. So I don't think the pro-boxing roadblock is the whole story.

I think some sports just never capture an American audience. For instance, my wife used to play professional softball for the WPSL (Women's Pro Softball League). They had sponsorship, a TV deal with ESPN, pretty much the same thing that the women's pro soccer league had. The WPSL lasted one season, the pro soccer league lasted something like four seasons, then folded. Even the men's pro soccer league is fading into obscurity. If it isn't football, basketball, baseball, auto racing, boxing or hockey, forget about playing a pro sport and making big money in the U.S. Maybe there's only a finite number of sports fans out there and once they're all taken, tough ****, no more fans left. I would love to see Randy Coutoure or Michael McDonald make millions for their skill and talent. It's a nice dream, but that's all it is.

Ronin
1/29/2004 12:58pm,
Where can we get these tapes and do they come in DVD format?

Matt W.
1/29/2004 1:00pm,
*Buys Matt a timemachine to join the 21st Century!*

Hey, I just got my first cell phone last year!

Regards,
Matt

Beneath Contempt
1/29/2004 1:02pm,
I've looked for Gracie in Action on DVD too, but it looks like these are a while off.

BeLikeWater
1/29/2004 1:02pm,
...yet fake wrestling has such a following...

Punisher
1/29/2004 1:04pm,
ronin,

Look on Ebay that's were I found mine. Some guy has a store and transers the tapes to DVD or something. I got a DVD with both I and II on it for $20 or something like that.

Phrost
1/29/2004 1:10pm,
I agree that Rorion's commentary on the GIA tapes is 100% Pro-Gracie marketing, but without him, we wouldn't have MMA as we currently know it.

Historically speaking though, they're great records of early MMA.