PDA

View Full Version : Microwaves

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

IndoChinese
1/28/2004 12:34am,
okay, the breathing thread has spurred a tangential association..to microwaves.

i have read in a few places about how microwave ovens 'damage' food at the molecular level. the explanation was that the microwave somehow damaged the valence shell.

now, that's a free radical right? unbalanced valance? or no? not something i want to eat.

also, a test done on microwaved vegetables, supposed to 'seal' in the essentials, actually reduced anti-oxidant content by 97%.

so lets see...

makes free radicals...

destroys anti-oxidants....

that's one hell of a tradeoff.

remarks?

Mr. Mantis
1/28/2004 12:42am,
I don't own a microwave. And other than general health, what does this have to do with breathing and buttlocking?

IndoChinese
1/28/2004 12:44am,
overall health and performance. garbage in, garbage out...

IndoChinese
1/28/2004 12:44am,
its all QIGONG

GajusCaesar
1/28/2004 12:53am,
I would investigate that further if I were you. It might very well be bull. Of course it could be true as well. Microwaves do cook with radiation (a form of it) but they mainly heat things by exciting water molecules. That is why food seems "wetter" after you microwave it.

Kungfoolss
1/28/2004 12:54am,
Originally posted by kuntaokid
okay, the breathing thread has spurred a tangential association..to microwaves.

i have read in a few places about how microwave ovens 'damage' food at the molecular level. the explanation was that the microwave somehow damaged the valence shell.

now, that's a free radical right? unbalanced valance? or no? not something i want to eat.

also, a test done on microwaved vegetables, supposed to 'seal' in the essentials, actually reduced anti-oxidant content by 97%.

so lets see...

makes free radicals...

destroys anti-oxidants....

that's one hell of a tradeoff.

remarks?

I have one Kuntaokid, eat lots of fiber. How did one doctor put it...humans don't have an enzyme for digesting fiber so it functions as an SOS pad cleansing your intestines and colon as it passes through. :p

FingerorMoon?
1/28/2004 1:04am,
Microwaves make cold things hot.
It is not possible to function without them,
humans have never figured out another way to do this.

IndoChinese
1/28/2004 1:05am,
'I would investigate that further if I were you. It might very well be bull. Of course it could be true as well. Microwaves do cook with radiation (a form of it) but they mainly heat things by exciting water molecules. That is why food seems "wetter" after you microwave it.

oh, this an inquiry, i really want to know...what's 'exciting' mean? that has no meaning to me...

FingerorMoon?
1/28/2004 1:07am,
It means female water molecules dance in front of male water molecules.

Deadpan Scientist
1/28/2004 1:07am,
The wavelength of a microwave oven is tuned to optimally excite water molecules, however, the energy also non-optimally vibrates other types of molecules.

As for the study that showed the decrease in anti-oxidant content, do you have a citation for that?
I found this with a quick search on PubMed. Not the greatest journal, but it's all I could really find.

Bol Asoc Med P R. 1989 Jul; 81(7): 277-9. Related Articles, Links

Retention of nutrients in microwave-cooked foods.

Klein BP.

The high market penetration of microwave ovens in the United States and the burst of new food products available for "heating and eating" raises questions about the nutritional impact of the relatively new technology. Based on the information available in the literature, nutrient content and retention of microwave-cooked or reheated foods is equal to or better than the same product prepared conventionally or held hot in a foodservice operation. Using recommended procedures for microwave cooking and reheating should result in products that are satisfying from both a sensory and nutritional standpoint.

Deadpan Scientist
1/28/2004 1:09am,
Sounds like a job for Beatdown Richie

IndoChinese
1/28/2004 1:10am,
'I have one Kuntaokid, eat lots of fiber. How did one doctor put it...humans don't have an enzyme for digesting fiber so it functions as an SOS pad cleansing your intestines and colon as it passes through.'

Kungfoolss,

thanks for the visual...

excellent point however, if you dont keep the pipes clean, you may get some nasty stuff in your guts...impacted colons are just like clogged sewer pipes....breeding grounds for disease/dysfunction. I know personally of two people who died of cancer from this direct cause....AutoToxification(TM)....lol, sorry couldnt resist.

Peace.

Deadpan Scientist
1/28/2004 1:12am,

GajusCaesar
1/28/2004 1:16am,
I just spent a bit of time on Google and a few other search engines and health sites looking into the whole microwave thing. I found a lot of unsubstantiated ravings of people that think microwaved food is horribly unhealthy for you. Unfortunately though, out of about 40 differents pages I looked at, not a single one of them provided any scientific reference to back up their claims. Furthermore, all of the sites contain extremely similar wording and organizations of their rants against microwaves. It appears almost certain that the vast majority of them all came from a common ancestor that actually wrote the information. I tried very hard to find a scientific study of any kind to support their assertions, but could only find vague referrals to Germans and Russians without a even source reference where I could read the actual study. Does this mean microwaves are unequivocably safe? Sure doesn't. I, myself, would love to see a large scale study done by experienced scientists and published in a peer-reviewed journal. At present though, I will suspend judgement and probably keep microwaving my leftovers.

Yuna
1/28/2004 1:30am,
It's amazing what people will believe without any substantial evidence. There was one girl I knew of that went on an all-bacon diet. Her version of Atkins, I suppose. Terrible idea...

Kungfoolss
1/28/2004 1:31am,
Originally posted by kuntaokid
'I have one Kuntaokid, eat lots of fiber. How did one doctor put it...humans don't have an enzyme for digesting fiber so it functions as an SOS pad cleansing your intestines and colon as it passes through.'

Kungfoolss,

thanks for the visual...

excellent point however, if you dont keep the pipes clean, you may get some nasty stuff in your guts...impacted colons are just like clogged sewer pipes....breeding grounds for disease/dysfunction. I know personally of two people who died of cancer from this direct cause....AutoToxification(TM)....lol, sorry couldnt resist.

Peace.

Well, you know in Japan, the Japanese (women in particular) love having their colons cleansed. They love having it done so much, there are unlicensed individuals running around to fulfil the need ->

Women busted for unqualified colon cleansing

A Tokyo beauty salon operator has been busted for conducting unqualified "colon cleansing" on hundreds of women, it was leaned Wednesday.

Kiyomi Anzai, the operator of the "Grace" beauty shop, reportedly pocketed some 88 million yen in three years since opening her shop in Tokyo in October 1999. A former Grace employee, Katsue Saito, was also arrested alongside Anzai, both on charges of breaking the Medical Practitioners Law because only doctors are allowed to professionally insert an instrument into a person's anus, a Metropolitan Police Department spokesman said.

Police said 43-year-old Anzai advertised the colon cleansing service on the Internet after opening the business with 54-year-old Saito. The two women's service was highly popular, with hundreds of women from across the nation becoming repeat customers of Grace. Investigators believe the pair carried out the "hydro colon cleansing" around 3,800 times.

Colon cleansing is popular among women because it reportedly eliminates conditions such as constipation, fatigue, headaches, poor skin and blemishes by clearing fecal matter from bowels. (Mainichi Shimbun, Jan. 15, 2003)

http://mdn.mainichi.co.jp/news/archive/200301/15/20030115p2a00m0dm031000c.html