PDA

View Full Version : Attacks to the Legs

Pages : [1] 2 3

Freddy
1/27/2004 3:25pm,
What do you think guys about defenses against low kicks to your legs? Some defense strategies would be nice.:eek:

virtual_mantis
1/27/2004 3:31pm,
I raise my leg (what ever side they are kicking to) and turn it outwards. So I block the kick with my shin. Shin meets shin. very painful but effective.

WhiteShark
1/27/2004 3:32pm,
A) get out of the way.
B) Thai shin block. Always use the top half of your shin(near the knee) to block.

Mr. Mantis
1/27/2004 3:34pm,
Do stance training.

Footclansoldier
1/27/2004 4:12pm,
If I see it coming Ill block with my shin, if not Ill shift 80% of my weight on the impact leg, works good too, but that isnt so good agains scraping low kicks.

Freddy
1/27/2004 4:59pm,
How about a direct kick to your knee?
(In high school I know someone that actually witness a guy kick another guy right at the shin. The guy was wearing heavy Doc Martins and just ran up and kicked the guy in a brawl. The guy who was kicked shrieked a horrible sound and that was the end of it. The guys knee cap was badly dislocated. It moved several inches from its normal position. Skin was still intact.)

Blue Flames
1/27/2004 7:01pm,
Well, if you what your doing you shouldnt be caught off gaurd by that kind of kick. but oh well. yeah thatll do it. i prefer to keep less weight on my front leg so i can raise it easier and possibly counter with a side kick. This is he going for my front leg. If hes going for my back leg, ill run into him hard.

Mr. Mantis
1/27/2004 7:24pm,
Originally posted by Freddy
The guy was wearing heavy Doc Martins and just ran up and kicked the guy in a brawl. The guy who was kicked shrieked a horrible sound and that was the end of it.

What color was his laces?

HAPKO3
1/27/2004 8:20pm,
Against low kicks, the Thai shin block is the best. The only thing I'd like to add is that I always try to move my shin back to catch the guy's foot with my shin. When it works, it's a hell of a lot less pain that shin to shin, and it's a pretty much a fight ender. Another thing I do sometimes is step in, take the kick and trade a good cross for it.

HAPKO3
1/27/2004 8:23pm,
When someone throws a straight kick to my knee, I stick it into the kick. The knee is a hell of a lot stronger and sharper than a kicking foot, and the kicker is the one that takes damage. Knees are not a very good target for kicks, unless they're locked out that is.

IndoChinese
1/27/2004 10:48pm,
'When someone throws a straight kick to my knee, I stick it into the kick. The knee is a hell of a lot stronger and sharper than a kicking foot, and the kicker is the one that takes damage. Knees are not a very good target for kicks, unless they're locked out that is.'

very nice, HAPKO3.

the only thing i would say is that the kick that Fredddy described sounds like keri-age or up kick to the patella, it catches the kneecap from underneath with a snubbing hit with the ball of the foot. your defense would work well against most knee kicks, xcept this one. unless you bend it real deep, so he cant get the shearing angle, and instead you knee spear his foot. just a note about a variation of the defense you describe and a potential vulnerability.

btw, this is a very dirty tactic, not for competition or sparring, you can cripple someone this way, the patella kick, i mean...

Peace.

IndoChinese
1/27/2004 10:55pm,
Naemesi Geri (sp?) "returning wave"

when he attacks with a low kick, snap your foot back sharply to your knee in a crane stance. instantly strike back out with the same leg..if your timing is correct, you will catch his leg at full extension.

basically you vacate the attacked line, allowing him to penetrate, then attack him from above before he can retract his leg. great counter defense against low leg kicks. excessive countering force can easily damage his knee because you can catch his extension and add to it with your kick to WAY overextend it. bad juju...

Peace.

HAPKO3
1/28/2004 1:16pm,
Kuntaokid: To be honest, I don't think I have ever encountered an upwards kick into the kneecap. When I was talking about sticking my knee into kicks, I meant into straight or side kicks into the knee, as they are taught in various different arts. It would certainly not be a good idea against an upward kick the way you describe it, since then I would catch it on the shin or, in the worst case, the kneecap. It does seem that it would be realtively easy to move the leg out of the way in this case, though, since the kneecap is such a small target. I wouldn't know untill I play with it a bit, though.

Freddy
1/28/2004 2:20pm,
Thats it Kuntaokid its a keri-age! A really dangerous kick. It stopped the fight immediately.

IndoChinese
1/28/2004 2:33pm,
When I was talking about sticking my knee into kicks, I meant into straight or side kicks into the knee, as they are taught in various different arts.'

HAPKO3,

oh i was totally following you there, it's just that i only type half of what i think on any given subjects (imagine that), a decided to make a remark tying Freddy's comment to yours.

'It would certainly not be a good idea against an upward kick the way you describe it, since then I would catch it on the shin or, in the worst case, the kneecap. It does seem that it would be realtively easy to move the leg out of the way in this case, though, since the kneecap is such a small target. I wouldn't know untill I play with it a bit, though.'

yea, you just move your leg. since it a low kick he's throwing it a short to mid range tech, a quick pivot while you throw a high line fist will most times disrupt his attack ,at the very least,and catch him on entry if the timing is good.....just roll the opposite hip and shoulder and blast. go in.

Peace.

IndoChinese
1/28/2004 2:41pm,
nidan-geri "The Karate Kid Crane Stance"

jumping double front kick.

when he kicks jump up with the little scissors and counter kick to his chest or head.

works best for lightweights who can spring quickly. and against heavyweights because they kick a little slower. gives the crane time to fly...

choicy timing, not a long range tech as is most often seen, mid to short range. change your jump arc relative to the distance.

dont try to jump over the leg, rather hop at an angle while scissors kicking.