PDA

View Full Version : Gina Carano Interview in NYT

1point2
8/04/2009 9:19am,
Gina Carano is interviewed for today's New York Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/04/sports/04mma.html

Though austerity often attends the life of a young fighter, Carano has achieved the sort of renown that inspires sultry magazine spreads, online popularity contests and even mean-spirited sex-tape rumors. At 27, she has become the face of womenís mixed martial arts, fighting her way to respectability in a male-dominated sport that has yet to secure its own respectable place in the mainstream.

There's 2 pages more, with audio and graphics. There's good insight in the article, with life history and portions of Gina's philosophy.

It's written in a fairly even-handed manner by Michael Brick. However he does mention that the reason MMA is banned in NY is "its brutality" (MMA's, I presume, not NY's).

Matt Phillips
8/04/2009 9:38am,
No relationship, no boyfriend, girlfriend; it’s the only thing that has kept me focused.
Gimme an "O"
Gimme a "U"
Gimme a "T"

What that spell?

johnevans
8/04/2009 10:45am,
Do you think Gina is hotter than Kyra Gracie? I can't decide.

1point2
8/04/2009 10:55am,
Do you think Gina is hotter than Kyra Gracie? I can't decide.

That's a stupid question that's not appropriate for this forum or this thread. That kind of puerile discussion goes in LLL. If you have questions regarding this policy, search for the JKDChick thread where she lays it out.

johnevans
8/04/2009 10:57am,
Apologies, I had just been on the LLL forum and wasn't thinking.

Zapruder
8/04/2009 11:06am,
So besides the soft spoken humility and ability to seriously kick that ass, she has two pitbulls...I am a fan for life!

JP
8/04/2009 11:58am,
So besides the soft spoken humility and ability to seriously kick that ass, she has two pitbulls...I am a fan for life!

That's a lot of awesome for one person, isn't it.

sambosteve
8/04/2009 2:12pm,
Good article. I wonder if she will make weight this time around...it is a title bout after all.

Wolf
8/04/2009 2:57pm,
as far as i know she hasn't had problems at 145.

1point2
8/04/2009 3:06pm,
What do we think of the tone? It seemed to have a good intro to MMA (kickboxing + wrestling + jujitsu is about as good a description as the layperson can comprehend), and except for the specific phrasing with "brutality" I thought it was fair.