PDA

View Full Version : Kru Destroying me

Pages : [1] 2

Redline420
7/28/2009 6:46pm,
So i'm not sure if this is normal, to me it feel kind of weird. At my gym, my instructor rolls with us. I'm talking about BJJ here despite saying Kru. Hes really good at BJJ no doubt and everyone there is really helpfull, but when it comes to rolling with my Kru, he does a lot more ass kicking than instructing. I would think he'd be critiquing me and such but instead he'll flip me all over, pin my stomach with his knee so I cant breathe and then when I lose dominant position, he acts like its some unheard of thing for a kid doing it a month to lose to him who's been doing it for years, is in excellent shape and has 50+lbs. of muscle on me. I saw him today walk a kid like a wheelbarrow and laugh at him. Iv'e heard him and his friend from the fight team make fun of a kid a few few from him. It seems unproffesional to me and I would love a bully to come in and see whats up, but I don't want to waste peoples time. I think my Kru has serious ego problems with the way he acts at times. However despite this, most of the time I like him and I have a good time, and the instruction is very good from comparing it to things I've seen on youtube. I like my gym, but is this normal to put up with?

Keyboardsamurai
7/28/2009 7:13pm,
As far as is it normal to put up with, not at all. My instructor is Jorge Patino who's fought in the UFC before (against pat militech) and also some of his fighter's teach the class and they are all very humble.

I say look around for other places to train at that has good instruction with less ego. I would hate to train in a place like that.

Redline420
7/28/2009 7:16pm,
Oh and the other thing is every time anybody gets gear he calls it crap and makes you buy his stuff, and he bought gym shirts and he says we need them to train, so thats another 18 dollars I don't have along with the 75 dollar gloves I need to buy from him, well the second pair. I support myself which is hard as a teen and I barely have the cash to make the 120 a month payments.

2groggy
7/28/2009 8:05pm,
I didn't want to chime in on the teaching style thing until I heard a bit more. But the money grubbing is too much.

The guy's teaching habits and business habits are unlikey to ever improve. What are the options in your neighbourhood? Any other clubs?

Kilbourn
7/28/2009 11:12pm,
Welcome to the Bully Hangout.

What you should do depends on how much you value your training. If you really want to learn and there arenít many other schools available to you then stay. But if youíre like me and hate being instructed by unprofessional and disrespectful people, leave. I had to give up a school that was close to my house for one that was a 30 minute drive away over respect and professionalism issues. Even at my new school the instructor told me and another noob that he can be strict and may seem like heís picking on us but itís only because thatís how he was trained so thatís how he teaches and it doesnít bother me.

Also Iíve never been to a school that makes you buy their equipment over others.

DKJr
7/28/2009 11:21pm,
Welcome, that dude sounds like a douche. Is he a blackbelt?

Redline420
7/29/2009 2:39am,
No hes not a blackbelt. Its not that hes being strict, I would get that, its more I feel hes trying to like show off or something by dominating everyone. He can but honestly so what he should be able to if hes teaching the class. I have other options locally, I think I'll try a free class somewhere else and see if I like it better.

beardedtaco
7/29/2009 3:42am,
That sounds really uncool of your Kru.

I've never seen that kind of behaviour from anyone at my gym. When I roll with my head coach, he is very chilled with me, and when I do the right thing he gives me encouragement eg: "yes ! that's it, now pass pass pass. nice". Or if I do something wrong, he will sweep me or whatever, then rewind and give me pointers so that I don't let it happen again.

I mean what would be the point of him schooling the crap out of me ? I know he can 10 times out of 10. I get destroyed by the blue belts and he is taking his grading for black this week. Actually, everyone from purple belt and up is very chilled when they roll with me, and I really enjoy rolling the higher grades. The blue belts go pretty hard on me, but they have never left me feeling humiliated ( definitely humbled, though ).

When I first started there, and rolled a purple belt they completely destroyed me, but I think that was to give me a taste and show me that this stuff was real. Even then, there was no mockery or wheelbarrows or anything like that.

If you feel like his attitude is a negative impact on your own training and development, then seek greener pastures and don't look back. Going to the gym is something I really look forward to, the training, the people, the attitudes, etc. I would wish the same thing for everyone else.

Matt Phillips
7/29/2009 6:30am,
Care to name the gym?

Jeffrey
7/29/2009 8:56am,
Redline,

Perhaps you can at least tell us where you are located. There might be other bullies from your area who can recommend better schools.

Matt Phillips
7/29/2009 9:31am,
May I suggest Redline Fight Sports just on symmetry alone?
https://clients.mindbodyonline.com/home.asp

Necroyunus
7/29/2009 10:04am,
being destroyed is ok, which means there are better people than you and you can improve.
But you know what?
From my experience, alot of times that there is a gym which has an instructor like that (very strong. very good, and spending many time tapping other people and test himself and in a humiliating way) are not THAT good.Especially if they are no gi clubs.
I am sorry i dont want to go around stereotyping but can you tell me what are the other students levels? Are they beginners or are there any of them with long grappling experience.Any success in tournaments? Any person who has a higher rank then white belt? And the instructor is still superior to them?

Also, i dont know what is the atmosphere is like over there, but my instructor also doesn't tell me anything when we are rolling.But most of the time if he expects me to do something he does it slow so i can see it but if i cant he punishes me with finishing the move :)
Could you be exaggarating a little bit? (just to be sure, i am not telling you are doing it)

so many questions i am sorry for that :)

Redline420
7/29/2009 1:30pm,
Ok, so I'm kind of hesitant to name the gym until I am sure i'm not continuing. I know of one other gym in my area, and I know that gym has a solid fight team, is IFL certified and their fight team members have solid, verifiable records (I researched them myself). The only gripe I have is I know they don't teach BJJ, they teach Japanese Jiu Jitsu. I don't know if thats much diff or not. They also have those Miltech things, and they gym overall is BRAND NEW and fully equipt. I don't even have to own gloves to train there, they supply them. I think my payment is due today, so I think I'd like to just go in and say I cant afford to continue, which is true, and ask for my last month which I pre-payed back because I don't wish to continue. I could pay the first 2 months at the new gym with the money from one month at my current gym because of their sign up deal. I already e-mailed the new gym and asked if I could have a free class, which I'm pretty sure they will let me do.

AS for my current gym.
-Only one other student is a talented, experienced fighter as far as grappling. Muay Thai we have a strong number of talented guys that do compete.
-We don't have belts, all no-gi, but basically everyone but 3 would be white belts, I train half the time and can tap or control most of them.
-The instructor mainly is rolling with total begginers so I cant really say about him keeping up.
-The only thing my instructor says when were rolling is things like:
-"I don't get why you lose top position", (Maybe because you have 50+ lbs on me and experience and your not holding back on it?)

-(while talking to his friend) "Hahaha, did you see that, he just basically go HIMSELF in that triangle",

-(After 3 minus of crushing me, and I mean like driving his knee into me and not letting me get out, then having the round end) "I don't get why you didn't shrimp."

I never get instruction out of it, just an asskicking, some taunting and go to the next match, which is what I felt was out of place, as when I see things on youtube its a calm learning environment where the instructor is more or less teaching and giving advice while rolling and actually giving the new guy a chance to apply some things he/she has learned in class, like they don't completely run over all the new kids then laugh about it with their buddy. I wanted a place where I could just come in and train, I hate the BS of training in a special t-shirt and buying all this gear and stuff, I mean we need gloves for our grappling class that cost 75 dollars? Really? I'm just not cool with that. For me 75 dollars is kind of a lot combined with all the other expenses I need to pay. I think by the end of today I'd like to post at least the new gym so I can have someone glance the site over and tell me if it looks legit. Thanks for everybody's time, I really do appreciate all the help thus far.

Jeffrey
7/29/2009 1:41pm,
Redline,

I think you already know what you want to do, and just need a little nudge to get the courage to do it.

Necroyunus
7/29/2009 9:15pm,
Ok, so I'm kind of hesitant to name the gym until I am sure i'm not continuing. I know of one other gym in my area, and I know that gym has a solid fight team, is IFL certified and their fight team members have solid, verifiable records (I researched them myself). The only gripe I have is I know they don't teach BJJ, they teach Japanese Jiu Jitsu. I don't know if thats much diff or not. They also have those Miltech things, and they gym overall is BRAND NEW and fully equipt. I don't even have to own gloves to train there, they supply them. I think my payment is due today, so I think I'd like to just go in and say I cant afford to continue, which is true, and ask for my last month which I pre-payed back because I don't wish to continue. I could pay the first 2 months at the new gym with the money from one month at my current gym because of their sign up deal. I already e-mailed the new gym and asked if I could have a free class, which I'm pretty sure they will let me do.

AS for my current gym.
-Only one other student is a talented, experienced fighter as far as grappling. Muay Thai we have a strong number of talented guys that do compete.
-We don't have belts, all no-gi, but basically everyone but 3 would be white belts, I train half the time and can tap or control most of them.
-The instructor mainly is rolling with total begginers so I cant really say about him keeping up.
-The only thing my instructor says when were rolling is things like:
-"I don't get why you lose top position", (Maybe because you have 50+ lbs on me and experience and your not holding back on it?)

-(while talking to his friend) "Hahaha, did you see that, he just basically go HIMSELF in that triangle",

-(After 3 minus of crushing me, and I mean like driving his knee into me and not letting me get out, then having the round end) "I don't get why you didn't shrimp."

I never get instruction out of it, just an asskicking, some taunting and go to the next match, which is what I felt was out of place, as when I see things on youtube its a calm learning environment where the instructor is more or less teaching and giving advice while rolling and actually giving the new guy a chance to apply some things he/she has learned in class, like they don't completely run over all the new kids then laugh about it with their buddy. I wanted a place where I could just come in and train, I hate the BS of training in a special t-shirt and buying all this gear and stuff, I mean we need gloves for our grappling class that cost 75 dollars? Really? I'm just not cool with that. For me 75 dollars is kind of a lot combined with all the other expenses I need to pay. I think by the end of today I'd like to post at least the new gym so I can have someone glance the site over and tell me if it looks legit. Thanks for everybody's time, I really do appreciate all the help thus far.

it reminds me my own first gym, and i was so passionate to learn something those days.Always being taunted and humiliated, but I liked(!) the guys just like you've said.I though including the instructor they were all friends.
Haha.I write these because I want to say that kind of experience isn't worth your time.Just go to the other gym.Otherwise you will lose all your interest in time.You can even have a stupid feeling like `i suck` `im not good` `i cant fight no matter how i train`
So you can focus more on yourself instead of trying to impress your insructor which has ego problems.
I hope everything works for the best for you.

1point2
7/29/2009 9:26pm,
So i'm not sure if this is normal, to me it feel kind of weird. At my gym, my instructor rolls with us. I'm talking about BJJ here despite saying Kru. Hes really good at BJJ no doubt and everyone there is really helpfull, but when it comes to rolling with my Kru, he does a lot more ass kicking than instructing. I would think he'd be critiquing me and such but instead he'll flip me all over, pin my stomach with his knee so I cant breathe and then when I lose dominant position, he acts like its some unheard of thing for a kid doing it a month to lose to him who's been doing it for years, is in excellent shape and has 50+lbs. of muscle on me. I saw him today walk a kid like a wheelbarrow and laugh at him. Iv'e heard him and his friend from the fight team make fun of a kid a few few from him. It seems unproffesional to me and I would love a bully to come in and see whats up, but I don't want to waste peoples time. I think my Kru has serious ego problems with the way he acts at times. However despite this, most of the time I like him and I have a good time, and the instruction is very good from comparing it to things I've seen on youtube. I like my gym, but is this normal to put up with?

I'm going to go against the grain here and put forth the theory that maybe the instructor is being perfectly normal, and you're just misinterpreting it.

Does "flip me all around and put his knee on my stomach so I can't breath" mean "he scissor swept me then took a gentle knee on belly"? Does "him and this other guy laughed at some other kid" mean "good natured ribbing"?

We're not there, so we can't evaluate if your instructor is out of line, or if you're just overreacting or misreading events.