PDA

View Full Version : JKD - what is people's opinion of this

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

bigstu31s
7/27/2009 10:20am,
I watched a programme on Bruce Lee the other night on the Bio channel and there were lots of different people praising him up from Sugar Ray Leonard to Dana White. Just wondered how JKD is received around here.
Is JKD the forebearer of MMA?
What do we think of Dan Inosanto?

ignatzami
7/27/2009 10:24am,
I watched a programme on Bruce Lee the other night on the Bio channel and there were lots of different people praising him up from Sugar Ray Leonard to Dana White. Just wondered how JKD is received around here.

JKD can be great, JKD can suck. JKD can be, basically, kickboxing or it can be Wing Chun with sticks.

JKD suffers from HUGE quality control issues.

JKD =/= Jun Fan Kickboxing.

If your JKD school spars, competes, and produces good fighters then it's a good school. If not it's a bad school.

Dan Inosanto is a great guy, in my opinion, a great fighter? I don't know. A great promoter, SURE!

PointyShinyBurn
7/27/2009 10:39am,
JKD is hugely variable. I know a few Bob Breen JKD guys who are skilled, well-rounded, open-minded and dangerous fighters (also excellent teachers). I've also been repeatedly owned in competition by a guy who trains BJJ under an Inosanto JKD instructor.

I've met others (from different schools, though with notionally as much experience) who are wimpy, passive-aggressive fantasists.

bigstu31s
7/27/2009 10:46am,
JKD is hugely variable. I know a few Bob Breen JKD guys who are skilled, well-rounded, open-minded and dangerous fighters (also excellent teachers). I've also been repeatedly owned in competition by a guy who trains BJJ under an Inosanto JKD instructor.

I've met others (from different schools, though with notionally as much experience) who are wimpy, passive-aggressive fantasists.

That Inosanto JKD instructor wasn't Rick Young was it?

PointyShinyBurn
7/27/2009 10:54am,
That Inosanto JKD instructor wasn't Rick Young was it?Yep. Do you know his student Omar? Until he got promoted to purple he was developing a habit of messing me up.

Matt Phillips
7/27/2009 10:55am,
I its telling that JKD had encorporated boxing, Muaythai, BJJ and Shootfighting before UFC I, and yet still struggles to produce good fighters.

bigstu31s
7/27/2009 11:00am,
Yep. Do you know his student Omar? Until he got promoted to purple he was developing a habit of messing me up.

Afraid not. I used to roll with one of his ex studnets who used to tell me how good Rick was. One day I went to watch Rick compete in the BJJ European Championships and watched him win Gold.
I like the way Rick Young who was a real Traditional MA guy ie Black Belt in Karate, Judo and Wing Chun then decided he had to learn JKD and BJJ and not only learnt them but became bloody good at them. That type of Martial Artist inspires me. They could happily just sit back and rest on their Karate Black Belts and take the easy money but this guy keeps on pushing himself.

bigstu31s
7/27/2009 11:02am,
I its telling that JKD had encorporated boxing, Muaythai, BJJ and Shootfighting before UFC I, and yet still struggles to produce good fighters.

Thats what I was thinking.

HappyOldGuy
7/27/2009 11:10am,

SBGi has produced a fair number. I'm not up on exactly what the history is between them and JKD, but I know they started out that way.

Matt Phillips
7/27/2009 11:17am,
Great exapmle. Full aliveness was the missing ingredient. SBGi is Mecca.

Raging Monkey
7/27/2009 11:24am,
I was training in Larry Hartsell's Jun Fan Grappling Association long before SBGi existed and we isolation sparred and free sparred from all ranges as part of our regular training.

Matt Thorton just packaged it neatly and coined a catch-phrase for what the rest of us were already doing.

1point2
7/27/2009 11:27am,
Elucidating and promoting a philosophy, and making explicit the link between training methods and ability, is neither "just packaging" or "coining a catchphrase." Yes, other people knew. Saying it, spreading it, and explaining why is the difference.

Plus, he made the connection between bad training methods and cult mentalities.

Kuma
7/27/2009 11:30am,
He also advocated "aliveness," or at least paid it lip service. Don't see any evidence of practice, though. That's probably why there weren't and aren't a large number of successful practitioners.

1point2
7/27/2009 11:36am,
"Knowing is not enough, one must do."
"Chi sao is out."

this turned into Functional JKD, then SBGi. Others just took the principle and added boxing, BJJ, whatever, and sparred hard. Others...did wing chun.

As an outsider, I really liked Amazon.com: Jeet Kune Do Conversations (9780865681910): Jose M. Fraguas: Books (http://www.amazon.com/Jeet-Kune-Conversations-Jose-Fraguas/dp/0865681910) by Jose M Fraguas. I like a lot of his stuff; he asks good questions, stays out of the dirty politics but gets into people's heads, letting them ramble.

pmosiun
7/27/2009 12:11pm,

To be honest, a lot of people have been cross training before Bruce, example kajukenbo.

JKD is not the forebearer of MMA because MMA exist today because of one family, the Gracie.

If they did not challenge other martial art, the MMA today won't exist.

The reason is because people later would eventually realise the best martial art are one that covers stand up, clinch and ground.

The question that you should ask is would everyone be talking about JKD if Bruce was not a movie star.

Stick & Submit
7/27/2009 12:21pm,

James Wilks, who just won The Ultimate Fighter this year in the welterweight division, trained with Erik Paulson and Paul Vunak and is certified as an instructor under both.

So Wilks is a promising fighter to come out of the JKD Concepts branch...