PDA

View Full Version : Just Breathe – Why BJJ

Pages : [1] 2 3

Goju - Joe
7/26/2009 10:10am,
So what’s so special about BJJ for me?

Is it the image of being a bone breaking badass? Come on please I am a 37 year old bald father of three

Is it the pretense of doing something that MMA fighters do and hobnobbing with real athletes?

See previous answer

So what attracts me to BJJ.

It’s the fight to breathe, It's that point at the end of the class during rolling after 20 minutes of being exhausted having some 230 pound goon get side control on me applying shoulder pressure and being totally gassed out and wanting to quit.

But not quitting, simply focusing on breathing, create space, breathe, get my hips under, breathe, recover half guard, breathe, sweep or recover full guard, breathe, go for a sub or a sweep and breathe.

In a life where things like, taxes, kids, parents health, the economy and a million other things can overwhelm a man. An hour and a half of primal fighting to simply breathe and keep going beyond your endurance of fighting on when quitting is just a tap away is supremely important to mental health

In a society that consistently tries to denude men of their masculinity of rituals and rights in which we learn to be strong (not just physically, but spiritually and emotionally) we all need something to measure our selves against, to compete against like Hemmingway’s Old Man and the Sea, a good external battle is really fight against our desire to quit and give up, and this is what defines us as men.

In some ways BJJ to me is the external manifestation of an internal and symbolic fight, that no matter what happens you just have to focus and fight for that next step, that next breath, don’t worry about the big stuff just simply breathe.

Zapruder
7/26/2009 10:21am,
FUCKING AWESOME!!!!!

http://mondial2006.blog.lemonde.fr/files/13195924_oliver_kahn_1.jpg

capchaos86
7/26/2009 10:36am,
Absolutely brilliant post!

El Neko
7/26/2009 10:56am,
it's been a while, but we have another post/thread everybody should fucking read.

This **** made my day

u1ysses
7/26/2009 11:15am,
Yeah, I agree. The best thing I've gotten from BJJ and Judo is the ability to keep a cool head and work incrementally while someone is trying to choke the **** out of me or crushing me beneath them. Thinking back to my noob days of "OMG HE HAS MY NECK TAP TAP!" makes me feel like a completely different person.

ZenOfAnger
7/26/2009 11:19am,
Wonderfully put!

illegalusername
7/26/2009 11:30am,
This was badass. Like this dude.
http://xs941.xs.to/xs941/09300/badassdude726.jpg.xs.jpg (http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs941&d=09300&f=badassdude726.jpg)

Goju - Joe
7/26/2009 11:51am,
thanks for all the positive feedback. On a rainy day I just wanted to articulate something that's important to me and I think important in MA and life general.

Its the main point in several arguments I have had on here with some younger members.

The skill and accomplishments you get from training is a side effect to the internal battle to keep training. And even if you're not good and may never be good that fighting the fight and to keep training is important.

BJJ is a great martial art because you get reminded of this every class and every roll you do.

I have had a really shitty 2009 so far so this philosophy has become very very important to me.

two dogs
7/26/2009 12:55pm,
So what’s so special about BJJ for me?
In a life where things like, taxes, kids, parents health, the economy and a million other things can overwhelm a man. An hour and a half of primal fighting to simply breathe and keep going beyond your endurance of fighting on when quitting is just a tap away is supremely important to mental health

In a society that consistently tries to denude men of their masculinity of rituals and rights in which we learn to be strong (not just physically, but spiritually and emotionally) we all need something to measure our selves against, to compete against like Hemmingway’s Old Man and the Sea, a good external battle is really fight against our desire to quit and give up, and this is what defines us as men.

Lovely post and put so well, I have also had a bit of a **** year with redundancy, deaths and the above 2 paragraphs sum it up for me.

JingMerchant!
7/26/2009 12:58pm,
*Arrives at thread*

*Reads OP*

*Salutes Goju-Joe...*

Vorpal
7/26/2009 1:43pm,
Okay, so I'm 230lbs. Why do I have to be a "goon" though?

Great post btw, I had thoughts along the same lines dragging my ass home from training this morning.

Diesel_tke
7/26/2009 2:41pm,
Well put! I've been pondering this why question for a while. I haven't really been able to put my finger on it. You hit the nail on the head. I'm going to attribute your 6 years of seniority over me to why you came to this realization before I did.

Thanks for putting your thoughts to paper...so to speak!

RoninPimp
7/26/2009 2:45pm,
Great post. Hippie...

Rancid Pantaloons
7/26/2009 3:11pm,
don't have time to read it so *subscribe* till tomorrow:)

MEGALEF
7/26/2009 3:15pm,
http://mondial2006.blog.lemonde.fr/files/13195924_oliver_kahn_1.jpg
KAAAHN!

ChickenBeakFist
7/26/2009 3:45pm,
YouTube - Conan, what is best in life? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az0dGKfYKrE&feature=related)