PDA

View Full Version : Anything MA on Reddit makes me die a little...

Hesperus
7/25/2009 11:19pm,
Anyone else visit reddit.com? It's a user-submitted news site kinda like digg, but less shitty (not for long, I fear).

The comments (http://www.reddit.com/r/offbeat/comments/94jk1/real_kung_fu_video/) on this video should make you bleed tears.

I swear, I thought John Q. Public actually knew something about martial arts, I really thought he did...

SoylentNinja
7/25/2009 11:25pm,
Reality has brought you the most brutal gift of all.....

Disappointment!!

Kantroce
7/26/2009 2:04am,
God damnit. I'm reading those posts and it's just making me angry that people are that fucking dumb.

I sometimes forget that those kind of people are a very small minority on Bullshido then I step out into non-Bullshido internet areas and get blindsided by martial stupidity.

Lindz
7/26/2009 6:43am,
I used to be one of those people. I'm (probably) not anymore (I won't cal it definite until I get some training in a hard sparring style). It's not all in vain. Thanks Bullshido.

Hesperus
7/26/2009 1:24pm,
I swear, Bullshido ruins the rest of the internet for me.

I love you guys so much...*tear*

It is Fake
7/26/2009 1:34pm,
Anyone else visit reddit.com? It's a user-submitted news site kinda like digg, but less shitty (not for long, I fear).

The comments (http://www.reddit.com/r/offbeat/comments/94jk1/real_kung_fu_video/) on this video should make you bleed tears.

I swear, I thought John Q. Public actually knew something about martial arts, I really thought he did...

We laughed at this video somewhere already. No, I don't remember the thread.

You must ignore any website you like that can support MA videos.

Rational and educated people become stupid when it comes to Martial Arts.

I'll never forget the Dr who I met who told me about a story similar to Kung Fu the TV series,

Hesperus
7/26/2009 2:30pm,
This might be my favorite quote ever.

Dude, you say no empirical evidence exists. Well, prove it.

Permalost
7/26/2009 4:24pm,
"As a Chinese person, I would just like to state for the record that only a small minority of us can actually perform any kind of martial arts and you should under no circumstances try to re-enact the above scene with a random bald chinese guy off the street."

Awesome.

scorchedearth
7/27/2009 8:18pm,
Unfortunately sir, they do not.

Here is a quote from someone I know:

[quote]yeah, i've seen people get knocked down without being touched...an old instructor of mine would call it "psychic" fighting...pretty neat stuff

theotherserge
7/27/2009 8:30pm,
This might be my favorite quote ever.

+1!! LOL I have no tatoos, but an olyde Englyshe of "Dude, you say no empirical evidence exists. Well, prove it." might be worth it.

RondyR
7/27/2009 8:30pm,
Unfortunately sir, they do not.

Here is a quote from someone I know:

Psychic fighting is AMAZING!! Well, amazingly bad that is. I once saw a video on YouTube where the instructor "knocked out" like 30 students in his dojo without touching them; it was beyond hysterical. Then this guy tries this stuff against a MMA guy in a sparring match and gets the unholy hell knocked out of him. Needless to say, the guys psychic punches had no impact whatsoever. If I can find that video I'll post it; it's an once in a lifetime event to witness, you'll laugh for days!

RondyR
7/27/2009 8:37pm,
First off, if you've never seen Tai Chi Masters Battle you have to watch it; it is funny as ****. Here's the link:

YouTube - Tai Chi Masters Battle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W1ym3yggR4)

As for the physic fighting, or Kiai style, here ya go:

YouTube - Kiai Master vs MMA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEDaCIDvj6I)

Watch and piss yourself from the laughter! :)

You're so welcome!

Siniq
7/27/2009 8:53pm,
http://ezinearticles.com/?Martial-Arts-Vs-MMA&id=2518594

MrGalt
7/27/2009 10:48pm,
http://ezinearticles.com/?Martial-Arts-Vs-MMA&id=2518594

Dear god dude. If ezinearticles.com had a comment section for these articles I'd never get off my ass and my head would explode. Just looking through the various Bruce Lee nutriding and TMA links I found this in the first minute:

"Discipline is perhaps the most important part of the training. Bowing is key. In a traditional Japanese dojo there is a lot of bowing. It is done as an act of mindfulness and as an act of respect. The first thing the student learns is how to bow properly. Bowing to the teacher, bowing on and off the tatami mat, bowing to one another, etc. The student then learns how to carry himself while in the dojo. It is not social hour. The student should act as he would in a place of worship. There should be no talking unless spoken to by the teacher or assistant teacher. The dojo etiquette and rules in a traditional school are modeled after feudal military traditions. We need this today more than ever."

-some fat white aikijutsu sensei.

Classic!

karma2343
7/28/2009 2:20am,
Dear god dude. If ezinearticles.com had a comment section for these articles I'd never get off my ass and my head would explode. Just looking through the various Bruce Lee nutriding and TMA links I found this in the first minute:

"Discipline is perhaps the most important part of the training. Bowing is key. In a traditional Japanese dojo there is a lot of bowing. It is done as an act of mindfulness and as an act of respect. The first thing the student learns is how to bow properly. Bowing to the teacher, bowing on and off the tatami mat, bowing to one another, etc. The student then learns how to carry himself while in the dojo. It is not social hour. The student should act as he would in a place of worship. There should be no talking unless spoken to by the teacher or assistant teacher. The dojo etiquette and rules in a traditional school are modeled after feudal military traditions. We need this today more than ever."

-some fat white aikijutsu sensei.

Classic!

"Power Punch Problems
There are also schools that focus on increasing their power a la Bruce Lee. These martial artists practice one-inch punches. They hold focus mitts for each other. The students also punch into heavy punching bags.
Later, they square off against each other. And they begin to spar.
Each technique is packed with the strength needed to drop an attacker. They cock back their fists for even more power. Unfortunately, these artists just veered away from the philosophy of efficiency.
You see, true JKD strives to be very direct -- no wasted movements. JKDers spend a lot of time eliminating all extraneous motions. So, the wind up has to go. No room for it ... 99% of the time.
Bruce Lee advice suggests that your weapon move straight to the target."

Of course, its so obvious! In order to punch efficiently, you can't cock back your arm, or else you will telegraph your hit when you actually punch! One-inch punches are the only way to go.

MrGalt
7/28/2009 5:36am,
I was floored by the idea that "discipline" means "bowing a lot."

I thought discipline meant getting up and going to the gym when I really want two extra hours of sleep or putting the fork down when all of my friends are ordering dessert.

I probably bow more than that guy too, though.