PDA

View Full Version : What do you all think of boxing?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

drummingman
7/25/2009 3:19am,
Im looking into getting boxing lessons soon and i was wondering what you all think of boxing? Also, what do you all think of using boxing as a martial art?

There is a book that i want to pick up about boxing as a martial art. Here is a link to the book: Amazon.com: Championship Streetfighting: Boxing As A Martial Art (9780873649346): Ned Beaumont: Books (http://www.amazon.com/Championship-Streetfighting-Boxing-Martial-Art/dp/0873649346) Have any of you read this book? If you have what do you think of it?

Meex
7/25/2009 3:56am,
Punching is overrated.
In the street, if you throw the first punch,
you will probably land it.
After that, it's just a lot of hair-pulling and grab-a$$.
No technique, no skill, no training.
Punching a heavy bag is best used for
punching a heavy bag.

my $0.01
`~/

PS:
But, Wing Chun. . .now there's something to use in combat!

Mega Leaf
7/25/2009 4:10am,
Boxing is great for fighting
I do Kickboxing and I say Boxing is very helpfull
the conditioning, the focusing on hand strikes...helps your fighting ALOT
so try it out and see how you like it :)
first day they might have u doing something silly (like bob and weave for 5 minutes)
but dont let that bother u =p

Truculent Sheep
7/25/2009 4:19am,
Boxing is all very well, but I much prefer to use padded envelopes as they are cheaper...

Seriously though, I think you should definitely do it. There's more than enough documented and anecdotal evidence to show it does work in many self-defence situations, and you'll also get punched in the head a lot. What's not to love?

illegalusername
7/25/2009 5:21am,
Boxing is about punching people in the face. It also researchs and develops new and exciting ways to punch people in the face.

It is a really good way to learn punching people in the face.

drummingman
7/25/2009 5:23am,
Boxing is all very well, but I much prefer to use padded envelopes as they are cheaper...

Seriously though, I think you should definitely do it. There's more than enough documented and anecdotal evidence to show it does work in many self-defence situations, and you'll also get punched in the head a lot. What's not to love?

I thought about getting hit in the head a lot. That is a bit of a worry to be honest.

Horus
7/25/2009 5:55am,
I totally didn't realise how tough boxing was until I started doing it at my YMCA. It doesn't help that I'm skinny, but it's taken me a while to not feel like my wrist is snapping and my knuckles are breaking every time I land a hard body blow. Also, throwing punches is a major energy drainer.

I'd recommend it to anyone though, at least to do every once in a while, gets you used to taking a punch and is great for fitness.

Gezere
7/25/2009 6:34am,
Boxing sucks. Take Tae Kwon Do it has kicks!

100xobm
7/25/2009 7:10am,
You've got to realise you need a martial art which works at every range.
Wushu bro, trust me. You need them flying kicks for when the high chamberlain's men come on horseback to try to take the seal of Q'rath.

Diesel_tke
7/25/2009 8:35am,
Yeah boxing didn't work very well for this guy:

YouTube - Boxer (street fighter) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wq5tgszDbE)

OR this one:

YouTube - Boxer Vs 4 attackers street fight (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCJ8J5yVTB8)

Go try Tai Chi. Much better.

cyril
7/25/2009 8:39am,
I thought about getting hit in the head a lot. That is a bit of a worry to be honest.

Most boxers don't show signs of any long term damage until about their 20th pro fight, or so I've been told. You have a long way to go until your 20th pro fight in boxing, so I think you should give it a go and see what kind of worry it is by your 20th pro fight.

Srsly Do the Bahk Xing

honest_truth
7/25/2009 8:52am,
boxing sucks, its for fags, no really.
what do you think shadow boxing is ?
its a dance performed by homos to show off their fisting skills, dont take that piece of crap.

instead take bujinkan, its what ninjas used to do, or aikido, its a samurai martial art that would prevent the opponent from drawing his sword, or umbrella, basically it teaches you how to fight multiple opponents, people with weapons and teaches you how to deal with common scenarios lik wrist grabs.

or take TKD, shotokan karate, it teaches you how to block punches and its point sparring makes sure you hit fast and first, and in a street fight thats all that matters.

then you would take some RBSD class, Systema or Krav Maga, its what the russian and israelly military uses, very effective, even fat people who wheeze when walking can use it, you will probably be taught by one, it proves that the system is for everyone.

but seriously, dont take gay fisting boxing, or wrestling/BJJ where its a bunch of people playing grab ass and practising sex positions, dont take crap like muay thai, because thailand is the home of tranvestites, and every MT club is actually a massage parlour with 'happy ending' untill you catch AIDS, SARS, SWINE FLU and CANCER at once. finally avoid MMA at all costs, its a mix between boxing fisting and grab ass wrestling / BJJ.

you can always find anti grappling moves like elbowing someone in the back of the head as you fall down because a bruno look alike shot for a takedown to suck your dick, and thats not all he wants to shoot at you, so beware.

Lindz
7/25/2009 8:54am,
Most boxers don't show signs of any long term damage until about their 20th pro fight, or so I've been told. You have a long way to go until your 20th pro fight in boxing, so I think you should give it a go and see what kind of worry it is by your 20th pro fight.

Srsly Do the Bahk Xing

Citation needed.

JonT
7/25/2009 9:17am,
Yeah boxing didn't work very well for this guy:

YouTube - Boxer (street fighter) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wq5tgszDbE)

OR this one:

YouTube - Boxer Vs 4 attackers street fight (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCJ8J5yVTB8)

These videos made me smile a lot

Matt Phillips
7/25/2009 9:18am,
Im looking into getting boxing lessons soon and i was wondering what you all think of boxing? Also, what do you all think of using boxing as a martial art?

There is a book that i want to pick up about boxing as a martial art. Here is a link to the book: Amazon.com: Championship Streetfighting: Boxing As A Martial Art (9780873649346): Ned Beaumont: Books (http://www.amazon.com/Championship-Streetfighting-Boxing-Martial-Art/dp/0873649346) Have any of you read this book? If you have what do you think of it?

I have that book. Its awesome.

Boxing is the ****.

sochin101
7/25/2009 9:41am,

Boxing is a superb martial art. At the very heart of it is learning to hit things. This is a crucial component of many martial arts, but one that is often sadly overlooked.

Boxing is about punching people in the face. It also researchs and develops new and exciting ways to punch people in the face.

It is a really good way to learn punching people in the face.
You, sir, have taken the egg that is boxing, separated the albumen and yolk, and whisked the whites up to make a delightful face-punching meringue.
Now, please use the yolks to make a delicious ice-cream accompaniment that we like to call body-shots.

It's a dessert a fearful effectiveness.

Don't get hit. Seriously.

I'd recommend it to anyone though, at least to do every once in a while, gets you used to taking a punch and is great for fitness.I love you, even though you tried to kill the Emperor.

Boxing is the ****.
Look, this man has a 'Scientist' tag. That means boxing is scientifically approved.

Boxing = Awesomeness in big gloves and hand wraps.