PDA

View Full Version : What doesn't suck?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

bigstu31s
7/23/2009 9:47am,
We’ve all read the posts bashing the likes of Aikido, Wing Chun, Taekwondo etc so what I wanted to know is where did it all go wrong?
Did Taekwondo/ Wing Chun ever work in a real street fight?
Is Steven Seigal truly the only bad ass Aikdoka?

If someone came to this website looking for a Traditional Martial Art that would work in a real life street/self defense environment what would we recommend?

cyril
7/23/2009 9:50am,
Muay Thai

Lindz
7/23/2009 9:55am,
What's the name of this forum? That's right your martial art sucks. Mine is absolutely awesome.

johnevans
7/23/2009 10:07am,
Supposedly the type of jujutsu that aikido decended from was useful in a "street situation," assuming that you were on a street in japan in the middle ages.

Other TMAs, even aikido, might be useful in a street situation depending on how you are trained. For example, I believe there are forms of aikido that are taught to japanese police, and that there have been modern re-interpretations of aikido and jujutsu used by police in the US. This might be less a function of the style of martial art you are training in, and more a function of the methods used to train you.

As far as Steven Seagal being the "only bad ass aikdoka," I don't think he's actually done a martial arts move in a movie in like, the past 5 years. The real bad ass aikidoka would be the ones who used to train the riot police in tokyo (i.e. Angry White Pyjamas).

Horus
7/23/2009 10:08am,
Stabbing someone with a spear

bigstu31s
7/23/2009 10:30am,
Supposedly the type of jujutsu that aikido decended from was useful in a "street situation," assuming that you were on a street in japan in the middle ages.

Other TMAs, even aikido, might be useful in a street situation depending on how you are trained. For example, I believe there are forms of aikido that are taught to japanese police, and that there have been modern re-interpretations of aikido and jujutsu used by police in the US. This might be less a function of the style of martial art you are training in, and more a function of the methods used to train you.

As far as Steven Seagal being the "only bad ass aikdoka," I don't think he's actually done a martial arts move in a movie in like, the past 5 years. The real bad ass aikidoka would be the ones who used to train the riot police in tokyo (i.e. Angry White Pyjamas).

The Police and Prison Officers tend to use restraining moves to control opponents until another Police slaps on the cuffs. Civilians don't have that luxory.
Muai Thai is one of the MA's that I would pick out as the most useful in a real fight.

ignatzami
7/23/2009 10:35am,
The Police and Prison Officers tend to use restraining moves to control opponents until another Police slaps on the cuffs. Civilians don't have that luxory.
Muai Thai is one of the MA's that I would pick out as the most useful in a real fight.

Or Boxing, but then wait you would most likely end up on assault charges. Great!

If you want a martial art for defense, Judo. Guy comes at you, pick up, throw, pin, wait for the cops.

End of engagement. Minimal liability.

bombom
7/23/2009 10:39am,
If someone came to this website looking for a Traditional Martial Art that would work in a real life street/self defense environment what would we recommend?

Judo and muay thai came to mind right away for me. Basically, TMA or not, any school that features a good amount of hard sparring is going to serve a person well.

Lu Tze
7/23/2009 10:40am,
and that there have been modern re-interpretations of aikido and jujutsu used by police in the US.I thought Aikido was a modern interpretation?

bigstu31s
7/23/2009 10:41am,
Or Boxing, but then wait you would most likely end up on assault charges. Great!

If you want a martial art for defense, Judo. Guy comes at you, pick up, throw, pin, wait for the cops.

End of engagement. Minimal liability.

Or Pick up, throw, the guy is then usually stunned, walk away.

So did the likes of Taekwondo ever work?

johnevans
7/23/2009 10:43am,
Judo and muay thai came to mind right away for me. Basically, TMA or not, any school that features a good amount of hard sparring is going to serve a person well.

I agree, I think the effectiveness or applicability of any martial art is based on the methods used to train you, and not necessarily just based on what "style" you practice or whether you have the "real" lineage or whatever.

So the martial art most applicable for the streetz would be one where you practice by wandering around the bad part of town at night, picking fights with criminals :happy2:

Yoj
7/23/2009 10:45am,
**** moi this thread is full of fail.

syberia
7/23/2009 10:46am,
Nothing doesn't suck. According to Omega, anyway.

But seriously. Look for some Judo, Mai Thuay or maybe a decent Shotokan school.

Depends what in your area, man.

Is Steven Seigal truly the only bad ass Aikdoka?

I hope you're joking here. I really do.

Lindz
7/23/2009 10:49am,
Lama Dondrup Dorje's aikido is way more badass.

ignatzami
7/23/2009 10:56am,
**** moi this thread is full of fail.

YOUR MOM IS FULL OF FAIL! :qcheerlea

bigstu31s
7/23/2009 10:57am,
Nothing doesn't suck. According to Omega, anyway.

But seriously. Look for some Judo, Mai Thuay or maybe a decent Shotokan school.

Depends what in your area, man.

I hope you're joking here. I really do.

I'm refering to Segal's film characters more than the actual man himself