PDA

View Full Version : do I join MMA club?

MBriefcase
7/22/2009 6:36pm,
I'm a student at Ohio University, and I am looking to train while I'm up there. The problem is, Athens, Ohio, being a small town in the middle of buttfuck, the offerings are limited.

Ideally, I'd like to find a Judo or BJJ school. But, having no vehicular transportation, I'm limited to things on campus. In terms of club sports, we have TKD, Shotokan Karate, boxing, wrestling, and MMA club.

Having lurked for a while on these boards, I now know that wing chun probably wasn't the best choice. That being said, I now know enough to not be really interested in TKD or Shotokan. What I am most interested in is the MMA club: www.ohio.edu/orgs/mmac/about.htm (http://www.ohio.edu/orgs/mmac/about.htm)

Problem with that is, there really is no instructor. It's a "member driven" club, so the senior members are the ones doing the teaching. Nowhere on the site does it say what arts the members are experienced in, and what, if any, rank they hold. Their "syllabus" gives a better idea of what they plan on covering though. http://www.ohio.edu/orgs/mmac/rsrcs/syllabus.htm

So my biggest interest is in improving my appalling lack of ground game. Given the clubs Web site, is it worth attending? My options are pretty limited. Am I better off just joining the wrestling club?

mgb
7/22/2009 11:29pm,
Am I better off just joining the wrestling club?

Maybe, but why not drop in on the MMA club and ask a few questions.

PointyShinyBurn
7/23/2009 6:02am,
Am I better off just joining the wrestling club?Why's this either/or? Try both and see which one you prefer.

Or, better still, train at both plus the boxing club and become a multi-range explosion of violent awesomeness.

MBriefcase
7/23/2009 4:54pm,
Why's this either/or? Try both and see which one you prefer.

Or, better still, train at both plus the boxing club and become a multi-range explosion of violent awesomeness.

That would be ideal. Problem is, I'm a senior journalism student, I can graduate in two quarters if I load up on classes, and I work for a newspaper and a magazine, so time is at a premium. Which is why it is an either/or kind of thing.

I'm leaning heavily towards the MMA club, to learn striking techniques above and beyond wing chun, as well as bone up on my ground game. I guess my biggest question is now, is it a big problem that the people I would be learning from aren't certified or qualified instructors? Or is some introduction to ground techniques better than nothing at all?