PDA

View Full Version : UFC Fouls

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

8bit
7/22/2009 3:57am,
11. Throat strikes of any kind, including, without limitation, grabbing the trachea.
12. Clawing, pinching or twisting the flesh.
13. Grabbing the clavicle.

Some of these are really interesting.

11. Is grabbing the trachea all that bad? I've grabbed trachea and had my trachea grabbed and smushed about in various ways, and, while very uncomfortable never caused any damage of any kind except a few times I couldn't breathe for a little while.

12. I can understand clawing, but why all that about pinching and twisting? Those were valid wrestling techniques when I was younger wrestling with friends for fun. No one was ever injured.

Still, it makes me think of muscle grabbing. Has anyone ever tried any muscle grabbing? If the skin is dry, it works kind of okay - sort of like pulling on a gi, but harder to do. Causes cramps sometimes. Seems impossible when actually competing with any degree of sweat though.

13. I don't know whether this is dangerous or not, but it is interesting that they felt they had to list it separately. Its really uncomfortable but I don't know anything about it but that.

Why are these rules included?

lockfield
7/22/2009 4:16am,
1. to target the trachea is bad. with sufficient body force it can be crushed, i've seen it but not in MA. besides, injury to that area can cause it to swell and block the airway. that's why chin down is good posture.

2. with someone who has a powerful grip, strong fingers and sharp nails, this hurts like a bitch. but damage is done usually to muscles and surrounding items. if that is what is referred to and not skin, i would understand.

3. clavicles can be easily broken, thus hampering proper use of the arm. there is no training like shin training to strengthen it. fair enough?

Permalost
7/22/2009 4:35am,
Grabbing the trachea can definitely damage it. A strong enough crushing attack can break the hyoid bone- this isn't theoretical like some other "deadly" techniques- broken hyoid bones from strangulation are commmon enough in forensics. It won't kill you by itself, but it can cause deadly complications (aside from damaging the windpipe). More importantly, I think, is that grabbing a guy by the throat to cause damage, as ineffective as it often is, is an image that's bad for the sport. Pinching/twisting the flesh is a way to exclude some borderline illegal possibilities (imo). For example, what if I grabbed and twisted someone's eyelid? It's not technically an eye attack since the eyeball isn't being attacked. Catch all rules about clawing, twisting etc take away some of the potential mayhem a person may think of.

tideliar
7/22/2009 11:30am,
Some of these are really interesting.

11. Is grabbing the trachea all that bad? I've grabbed trachea and had my trachea grabbed and smushed about in various ways, and, while very uncomfortable never caused any damage of any kind except a few times I couldn't breathe for a little while.

Exactly...

edtang
7/22/2009 11:35am,
There was a PRIDE fight (I think it was PRIDE 17), Tom Erikson versus some poor boxer or kickboxer, he won it via straight up trachea crush with his hand. Just grabbed and strangled the poor guy. From what I understand, PRIDE finally explicitly banned the move.

Kuma
7/22/2009 11:45am,
The rule that bothers me is the prohibition against groin shots, but not because I don't think they should be prohibited - The guy who hits his opponent in the groin is given a warning, and then invariably goes on to win the match because his opponent simply can't continue at full capacity.

It virtually makes being the first person to score an accidental-looking shot to the pills a viable strategy.

Obviously, DQ is a bit over-the-top, because it's so damn easy to clip a groin when throwing knees or leg-kicks, but there needs to be something more substantial than "Okay, that was bad, don't do it again, go for his head now that he's bent over."

Anybody else notice this trend? Has anyone ever gotten folded with a nad-kick and then gone on to win his match? I haven't seen every UFC by any means, so I could easily have missed it.

edtang
7/22/2009 11:54am,
It virtually makes being the first person to score an accidental-looking shot to the pills a viable strategy.

It also virtually guarantees that they won't be brought back to fight in the promotion ever again (if it doesn't look accidental enough or if it becomes a pattern)

Permalost
7/22/2009 12:03pm,
I've taken solid strikes to the groin and have gone on to win the match.

bassai
7/22/2009 12:15pm,
The rule that bothers me is the prohibition against groin shots, but not because I don't think they should be prohibited - The guy who hits his opponent in the groin is given a warning, and then invariably goes on to win the match because his opponent simply can't continue at full capacity.

Obviously, DQ is a bit over-the-top, because it's so damn easy to clip a groin when throwing knees or leg-kicks, but there needs to be something more substantial than "Okay, that was bad, don't do it again, go for his head now that he's bent over."

Anybody else notice this trend? Has anyone ever gotten folded with a nad-kick and then gone on to win his match? I haven't seen every UFC by any means, so I could easily have missed it.

Wasn't this tactic used by the cobrakai in the first karate kid?

Kuma
7/22/2009 1:18pm,
I've taken solid strikes to the groin and have gone on to win the match.Pro match, or a five-year-old? They tend to go for the groin because they can't reach your face, and also tend to go down pretty easy.

Kuma
7/22/2009 1:22pm,
Wasn't this tactic used by the cobrakai in the first karate kid?You're thinking of the Cokblokai.

UpaLumpa
7/22/2009 1:36pm,

While few have seen every UFC, have you seen the ones that occured within the last two weeks?

Kuma
7/22/2009 2:26pm,
Nope. Read the summaries here on BS, no mention of ballshots that I recall. Found Ka-Bar's avatar to be endlessly amusing. If there's something to report, please share. I don't post rhetorical questions. Often.

Edit: edtang's comment duly noted. Hadn't considered that.

UpaLumpa
7/22/2009 2:31pm,
At UFC 100, widely considered to be the biggest MMA event in North American history, a bunch of guys fought. One of them got kicked hard in the nuts. The nuttee misunderstood the ref's instructions and went back to fighting sooner than needed but still beat the nutter in a very close fight. Nuttee also got his face broke.

Kuma
7/22/2009 2:38pm,
Thank you.

New question: Would you consider such a victory to be the exception, the rule, or a completely unrelated event?

UpaLumpa
7/22/2009 2:47pm,
Also happened in Hughes-Trigg (1 or 2?).

Thank you.

New question: Would you consider such a victory to be the exception, the rule, or a completely unrelated event?

Given your absolute lack of familarity with obvious examples, I'll conclude you're speculating out of your ass and that nut shots have very little to do with who wins and who losses.