PDA

View Full Version : Post Tapper Issues

DKJr
7/21/2009 10:07pm,
I've encountered a strange issue and was wondering how I should approach this. I've met what I think is a "Post Tapper".

Here is the senario first time I roll with him he pulls up on an overhook armbar when I'm not even extending my hips and hurts his arm. He gets mad I try to apologize (I've very sincere and serious when it comes to not hurting my training partners.).

We roll again and I go really easy so as to make sure things are cool and there's no hard feelings. I play a boring open guard game and sweep sweep sweep, then stay on top. I get a choke and just slowly apply pressure. Next I feel a smack smack "TAP!" so I let go and ask if he was tapping? He gets mad talks about me popping his arm and that I need to be more aware. I was generally confused and apologetic. Now I'm not sure how to deal with this besides not rolling with him, not trying to submit him, or going so easy and do nothing.

I've never had this problem in training, and I don't want to be known as "that guy". I feel like this is one of those damned if I do damned if I don't situations. (and yes I talked to him about it the first time, but I'm pretty sure he didn't care or believed me especially now) Maybe I need to pay attention more maybe I need to go slower I don't know.

ArrogantBastard
7/21/2009 10:25pm,
If you don't have this problem when you roll with anyone else, then he's probably just a *****.

Find someone else to roll with.

Kilbourn
7/21/2009 10:29pm,
If you don't have this problem when you roll with anyone else, then he's probably just a *****.

Find someone else to roll with.

Ditto
If itís just him than the only thing youíre hurting is his ego

DKJr
7/21/2009 10:32pm,
The only frequent thing that happens with others is I elbow/knee people when they try to pass my guard. Now I gotta have that award convo with my instructor about not wanting to roll with that guy cause he keeps getting hurt. I don't think hes a *****, I think hes just not a good tapper.

1point2
7/21/2009 10:42pm,
Figure out a way to roll with the guy right smack in front of the instructor. Choke him (vewwy, vewwy swowly) while attempting to make intermittent eye contact with your instructor of the "See what I'm doing? Totally kosher, right? Look what this jackass is about to cry about" variety.

That's what I'd do, in all likelihood. Is that passive-aggressive?

Kintanon
7/21/2009 10:59pm,
Sub him with non-subs. Knee on Belly, can-opener, magic catch wrestling pressure point guard passes, north south belly smother.
Ummm... what else is good... Forearm in throat from guard. body triangle.

ArrogantBastard
7/22/2009 1:26am,
Sub him with non-subs. Knee on Belly, can-opener, magic catch wrestling pressure point guard passes, north south belly smother.
Ummm... what else is good... Forearm in throat from guard. body triangle.

Agreed.

If you have to roll with him for some reason (i.e. small class size), then you should be his worse nightmare.

That way he learns to stop crying...or at least he quits/avoids you.

100xobm
7/22/2009 1:49am,
Some nice cobra kai answers here.

A BJJ brown belt once decided to practise alternating knee rides on me until I remembered how to get him off me. It could've hurt but it didn't.

however it was fucking humiliating (even though he was a brown belt).
put a shame on his name. Do all those mean things, and make sure he knows you can destroy him. Sub him with the same thing, over and over again.

Or more seriously;

If he bitches you out again, just tell him "Tap sooner, I don't want to hurt you so I'm deliberately subbing gently/slowly". Don't know how long you've rolled, but your coach probably trusts your ability to not be a spaz.

I'm assuming he's a noob here.

ArrogantBastard
7/22/2009 11:26am,
Some nice cobra kai answers here.

A BJJ brown belt once decided to practise alternating knee rides on me until I remembered how to get him off me. It could've hurt but it didn't.

however it was fucking humiliating (even though he was a brown belt).
put a shame on his name. Do all those mean things, and make sure he knows you can destroy him. Sub him with the same thing, over and over again.

Or more seriously;

If he bitches you out again, just tell him "Tap sooner, I don't want to hurt you so I'm deliberately subbing gently/slowly". Don't know how long you've rolled, but your coach probably trusts your ability to not be a spaz.

I'm assuming he's a noob here.

Based on the information given, the kid he is rolling with is more than likely an idiot.

It is a waste of time to try to reason with an idiot.

JohnnyCache
7/22/2009 12:54pm,
tell him to always tap out loud if possible. You can do this by telling him in the context of subs where he doesn't have a hand free, so it doesn't reference this particular incident.

DKJr
7/22/2009 2:04pm,
He claims he tapped but I swear I didn't feel anything. I told him to tap me not the mat and do it hard.

KiwiPhil889
7/22/2009 2:19pm,
Sounds like it could very well be a case of "sore loser". Nothing much you can do about that.He needs to get over it.Leave the ego at the door,just like everyone else.

Have a similar guy where i train,and i still roll with him just as hard as anyone else.I'm not gonna take it easy on him just cuz he gets a bit butt sore about being subbed,and he just about ALWAYS finds something to mention that gave/gives me an unfair advantage over him.Tough **** for him,he has the same options i do. Personally its the better option than going easy on him and treating him like some soft cock in front of everyone,THAT would embarrass me if it was the other way round.

Marc Spector
7/22/2009 3:00pm,
Customarily, you should offer a heartfelt apology and present him with a bottle of shampoo as a peace offering. The one will do nicely:

http://morgamic.com/img/no-more-tears.jpg