PDA

View Full Version : Shadow grappling

Pages : [1] 2

informer24
7/21/2009 12:33am,
I currently attend FFA (freestlye fighting academy) in Miami. We have open mat all day on Saturday and Sunday. I am in love with the place so I'm usually there every Saturday and Sunday, but I rarely see any of my classmates there. I can improve my standup, cardio and weight lift. But I can't grapple :sad7: Just now I thought about shadow boxing and wondered if I could shadow grapple also. Do you guys think this would be effective?

marcusdbrutus
7/21/2009 2:14am,
If you could explain to me a way you think shadow grappling could even possibly be effective, I will give you a medal.

Unless you mean shrimping and stuff. Do lots of shrimps, you'll be sweet at running away.

syberia
7/21/2009 4:01am,
Edit* Welcome, informer. How long have you been training and such?

Do lots of shrimps

Am I allowed to make a sex joke here? Probably not...

'Shadow grappling' wont work, because when you grapple you're in constant contact (kinda) with your opponent and that plays an integral part in most of the skills and techniques. Movement on the ground is really all you can to without a partner. Like shrimping, but if you really want to do something on the ground try some of these.

YouTube - Individual Exercises - www.learnbjjtechniques.com (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iydZKc_mnn8)

Okay, thats not the best video, but you get the idea.
The 'four corners dril' can be done with a few extra steps, too. We do it a touch differently.
The drill At 7.06 can be done up and down the room, travel with it. We have races at my gym sometimes if we're bored.
Somersalts, rolls and falls can be useful when done corectly. Be carefull with falls, dont go jumping off things, but practice if you know how to fall.

Also, dont be afraid to work on your grip and forearm strength, endurance and flexibility. You cant do much on technique without a partner, only movements and strength. But dont be afraid to review what you know in your head.

Finally, and this really shold be first, ask you coach for ideas. For workout regimes and excersizes. Dont be afraid to ask them for help, get the most out of your time on the mat.

colonelpong2
7/21/2009 4:37am,
Just now I thought about shadow boxing and wondered if I could shadow grapple also.

Try it out. With video. Gawd I cant wait. I need a chuckle :)

Lindz
7/21/2009 5:06am,
Now that you've gotten some good advice I don't feel like a troll for posting this. First image that popped into my head when I read your OP

YouTube - Monty Python Colin 'Bomber' Harris (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-9qZ4Zs6Ys)

syberia
7/21/2009 5:29am,
Now that you've gotten some good advice I don't feel like a troll for posting this. First image that popped into my head when I read your OP

Lol, hadn't seen that one.

Informer, you can always practice this routine in case of any Fight Club like hiccups in your phyciatric health...

(Its all in good fun, by the way.)

Lindz
7/21/2009 7:33am,
Judoka do this thing where they tie their belt onto something about shoulder height and practice their throw entries. Ask a real judoka if you plan to do that one. Maybe you could practice suplexes and double leg take downs on a dummy.

1point2
7/21/2009 7:51am,
Here's 10 minutes of stuff to do that'll help.

YouTube - Alliance Jiu Jitsu Warm ups (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llZzpXWajKQ&feature=channel_page)

I don't think shadow grappling per se makes any sense. I agree that cardio/running, weights, heavy bag/shadowboxing, judo uchikomi on a belt or rubber band, throws/takedowns/suplexes on a dummy, exercise ball BJJ drills, and movement exercises are all great ways to work out alone, but "shadow grappling" does not strike me as productive.

Tom Kagan
7/21/2009 7:56am,
It depends on what you mean by 'effective'. It could be very effective in helping certain aspects of your game, but not as a tool to learn a game in the first place. Talk to your coach to get ideas as to what yoi can do by yourself. However, since you indicated you don't "know" grappling, I suspect he'll say to just show up for classes instead of open mat.

mgb
7/21/2009 10:56am,
What is the general opinion on the use of grappling dummies?

syberia
7/21/2009 11:48am,
Never really used one. Mucked around with one on display at the last tourny. Good for practicing techniques, i guess, Also kind of fun. But no subsitute for an actual person, obviously.

mgb
7/21/2009 12:38pm,
Sure, but since the question is grappling alone I wondered if they have their place, and it sounds like they might if the only other option is to stand there flexing in the mirror. (Yes some valid training stuff was posted I am just being flippant.)

wingchunx2z
7/21/2009 1:14pm,
Judoka do this thing where they tie their belt onto something about shoulder height and practice their throw entries. Ask a real judoka if you plan to do that one. Maybe you could practice suplexes and double leg take downs on a dummy.

Get a decent sized 4 legged chair and work your outside single and high crotch entries. the good thing is once you pick the ankle or get the lock and glue yourself in you can turn the corner and drive or pick up and run the pipe ect. like you would to a person and the chair goes down.
position the chair at an agle so you can work what leg is facing forwards and try to penetrate on eachs tep and get smooth at your entry and lock up.

or do this. lol just make sure to use protection.

YouTube - Wrestling Drills: Penetration against the wall (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1l9nKQjZJ-E)

1point2
7/21/2009 1:17pm,
Get a decent sized 4 legged chair and work your outside single and high crotch entries. the good thing is once you pick the ankle or get the lock and glue yourself in you can turn the corner and drive or pick up and run the pipe ect. like you would to a person and the chair goes down.
position the chair at an agle so you can work what leg is facing forwards and try to penetrate on eachs tep and get smooth at your entry and lock up.

Do you have any wrestling or grappling experience? I can't recall. I just think you're describing a very strange drill, and you have the Chun in your style field.

wingchunx2z
7/21/2009 1:43pm,
Do you have any wrestling or grappling experience? I can't recall. I just think you're describing a very strange drill, and you have the Chun in your style field.

Yes, minimal. But the drill I described has helped my single leg form when there was no one to work with. But the wall thing was jsut kind of funny similar to the monty python thing.

I was under the impression the thread was about the validity of shadow graplping and things he could do without a partner to improve his grappling. it was jsut a suggestion.

1point2
7/21/2009 1:44pm,
Ok then.