PDA

View Full Version : Training at two different gyms

Bahuyuddha
7/20/2009 6:06pm,
I'm back after a little time off from Bullshido.

I have a question about protocol when training at two different gyms.

I've been training MT for 3 years at a gym that offers MT and no-gi BJJ (they don't do gi BJJ there). I took a few BJJ classes there, but not regularly, and spread out over a year or so. I would still put myself at total beginner level in BJJ at the end of it.

Four months ago the MT gym closed for some renovations, so for the last 3 months I have been training gi and no-gi BJJ at a different gym. Now the MT gym has re-opened and I've resumed MT training, but I continue to train BJJ at the other gym because I like the trainer, the other students, and the gi training. I've been training regularly and feel like I'm making good progress.

If I were to compete in MT, of course I would compete under the MT gym's name. If I were to compete in BJJ some day (I'm very new at it, so it's way down the road), I would compete under the BJJ school's name. However, I would feel a little weird about it, considering that I might end up competing against some of my friends at the MT/BJJ gym. Not a huge issue though, as it wouldn't happen if I competed in a gi tournament; none of the no-gi guys would be likely to be there anyway.

The problem would come if I decided to compete in MMA some day. I could see doing smokers or maybe amateur matches at some point. Would I list myself as training under both gyms? Is this common? My sense from asking around is that it's kind of frowned upon.

I'm not losing any sleep over this (neither would either trainer, I'm sure; they aren't exactly betting their reputations on my performance). I'm just curious.

Thanks in advance.

(Apologies if this has been discussed before; I searched for other threads on this topic but was having trouble narrowing down the search results.)

datdamnmachine
7/20/2009 6:57pm,
I'm back after a little time off from Bullshido.

I have a question about protocol when training at two different gyms.

I've been training MT for 3 years at a gym that offers MT and no-gi BJJ (they don't do gi BJJ there). I took a few BJJ classes there, but not regularly, and spread out over a year or so. I would still put myself at total beginner level in BJJ at the end of it.

Four months ago the MT gym closed for some renovations, so for the last 3 months I have been training gi and no-gi BJJ at a different gym. Now the MT gym has re-opened and I've resumed MT training, but I continue to train BJJ at the other gym because I like the trainer, the other students, and the gi training. I've been training regularly and feel like I'm making good progress.

If I were to compete in MT, of course I would compete under the MT gym's name. If I were to compete in BJJ some day (I'm very new at it, so it's way down the road), I would compete under the BJJ school's name. However, I would feel a little weird about it, considering that I might end up competing against some of my friends at the MT/BJJ gym. Not a huge issue though, as it wouldn't happen if I competed in a gi tournament; none of the no-gi guys would be likely to be there anyway.

The problem would come if I decided to compete in MMA some day. I could see doing smokers or maybe amateur matches at some point. Would I list myself as training under both gyms? Is this common? My sense from asking around is that it's kind of frowned upon.

I'm not losing any sleep over this (neither would either trainer, I'm sure; they aren't exactly betting their reputations on my performance). I'm just curious.

Thanks in advance.

(Apologies if this has been discussed before; I searched for other threads on this topic but was having trouble narrowing down the search results.)

A lot of people frown on this practice, however, I'm not one of them. I will represent (and have represented) both of the gyms I trained with. See my signature below. Yes, you have friends there, yes they feel like and may even be family. However, the fact remains that you are paying money for a service. As such, you have the right to choose the best service for you. Anyone who resells goods will tell that they have multiple vendors because one vendor just doesn't suit all of their needs. The same thing seems to be the case in your situation.

Oh, and if someone gives you grief about "loyalty" and "honor" to the team and all that, see if those buzz words come up after you stop paying your monthly fees and still want to continue to train...

(Note: The last statement is a bit of a generalization as there are clubs who will work with you to keep you in class if you can't make the fees but I think anyone who reads this will get my point.)

Scott Larson
7/20/2009 7:24pm,
I think the appropriate thing to do is let each trainer know what is going on. As long as you are up front about it, I don't see anyone having a problem.

Bahuyuddha
7/20/2009 7:49pm,
Good points. I mentioned to the BJJ instructor that I would resume MT training at the other gym now that it's re-opened, and told him that I would only train BJJ with him. I don't see a huge advantage to training BJJ at both places at my level anyhow. He didn't have a problem with me training MT at the other place.

I haven't brought it up with the MT place, but I think it would be less of an issue for them, because they don't offer gi BJJ, and they are much bigger and more corporate. They would probably be more likely to understand cross-training at another gym. Especially since I am not representing them in any pro fights, and never will be (I started too late to ever fight pro, and I'm not that good a fighter or athlete anyhow). However, I think the BJJ coach at the MT gym would definitely have a problem with it. I don't think I will bring it up with him at all.

The BJJ place is much smaller, more close-knit, and the owner has even said exactly what you said datdamnmachine, that he would work with people who couldn't pay the full tuition. He also said that it would be confusing if I trained BJJ at both places, but he didn't outright forbid it. Nevertheless, I think I'll stick with one place for BJJ and the other for MT, expensive as that is, at least for the time being (I'm pre-payed at the MT place for several months anyhow). The smaller BJJ gym is a pretty good deal compared to other places in the area, so it's not as bad as it could be, cost-wise.

Thanks for your responses.