PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Massachusetts

Satori
7/10/2009 1:07pm,
Sup guys, just wanted to say hi after having just signed up recently. I wrote a long text and something fucked up and deleted it all when I tried to post, so excuse me if I get straight to the point now (I'm a bit frustrated atm...).

I was born in Johnston, RI, and started MA at the Nick Cerio's there (under Lombardi and Ro [it's been so long, I really hope I'm spelling their names right]. I don't know what people think of the legitimacy of Nick Cerio's is, but both of these guys were military and they were great). I started there when I was five until I moved here to Westborough, MA around 5 years later, at which point I basically quit. I'm now 20, and have recently graduated from voc school (Electrician, apprentice), and even with the shitty job market I have a few interviews lined up which look promising, as I love my job and am quite good at it thusfar.

To be honest, I used to smoke weed up until a month ago, where I knew I had to quite due to drug testing, and I'll probably have to be away from it for a long time (at least for the 4 years of my apprenticeship in the states, until I find a way up to Canada lol). I've been exercising on my own on and off for the past couple of years, doing specifically stretches to keep my range of motion up and pushups for upper body strength for my work. Weed is great, don't get me wrong, and I wish I could continue using it even WITH going into Karate again, but instead I've planned on replacing it with exercise and Karate seemed like the best way to stay motivated and get a good full-body workout (as well as other benefits of course, of the self defense variety). I feel nothing but good could come from starting again, seeing as being in shape will help with my job as well as preserving my state of mind without drugs (I've generally never been a fan of any addicting drugs, including alcohol, and the only drug I've ever done on the job is a cup o' joe in the morning, but hey, what are you going to do? Drug testing sucks...).

Currently, I've been doing a lot of research as to where to start up again. When I originally stopped, I was a recent brown belt (although I feel my skill surpassed that easily, as when I was a couple of ranks below that I could still kick the **** out of the other brown belts during kumite). I really loved Kenpo and JJ since it worked out all of my muscles (keeping me in good shape), as well as making it so nobody could touch me. Hightening my reflexes and speed is really important to me, but going to a respected dojo is possibly moreso (thank you guys, btw, for telling me about how **** villari's is).

I was thinking about doing TKD instead (based on the dojo's near me, it seems like one of the few legitimate alternatives), but it seems to suck for self defense with all of the fancy kicks and "dancing" (honestly, even though I've been out of Kenpo for awhile, I'm sure back in the day I could have easily blocked those kicks and just taken them out, from what I've seen in the olympics. It's great for working out though, don't get me wrong, but it isn't for me).

Right now, I think I've found the perfect place for me: Henry Agri's Kenpo and JJ. It looks like their lineage traces back to Ed Parker, the great creator of American Kenpo (which is awesome if true, since legitimacy is important to me). Although their main dojo is in North Grafton, they have a dojo right down the street from me (not sure which I should go to or if it even matters though, btw). I'll be calling them soon and checking their place out, but hopefully it all works out. If anyone out there knows anything about this place, please let me know, it would be greatly appreciated, but they look pretty legit all things considered.

Sorry if this post was too long, it kind of got away from me! Feel free to ask me any questions or whatever, as I'm new but hope to start posting soon and exploring the rest of the site.

atom
7/12/2009 9:36pm,
Welcome.

Don't do striking, getting punched in the head is bad for your brain.

Do BJJ, its only bad for your joints.

brain > joints

Matt Phillips
7/12/2009 9:40pm,
Hey Satori, welcome!

Where exactly are you located?

Satori
7/12/2009 10:16pm,
I did say Westborough, MA, didn't I? >.>

Also, I'm not a fan of strict ground fighting. I find it much more effective to focus on increasing my speed and reaction time, being able to block effeciently specifically so that I DON'T get hit in the face, and then react accordingly. Besides, I've done Jujutsu before anyways, which I also intend to get back in (as this school teaches both, just like I had before at Nick Cerio's), so at the very least I'll know enough to be able to get off the ground if it gets to that point.

At least in my previous experience, headgear was used during kumite and you were not supposed to punch people square in the face (although that did happen to me, much to the dismay of my opponent when facing him again only a few minutes afterwards in a rematch... but that story is for another day). Side of the head and such where there was padding, sure, but not right in the friggin' nose.

Basically, I'm not to worried. I'm very excited though to get back in the game, I just hope this dojo works out! I really want to go as often as they'll let me, and sparr as much as possible to test my effectiveness. Then, hopefully, I can actually sparr against some really talented grapplers to see how I fare. That's my goal, at least. MA is suppose to be my replacement to drugs, so I'm going to be investing a lot of time in it, so wish me luck I suppose!

Matt Phillips
7/12/2009 10:20pm,
If you can make as far as Boston, I can suggest some gyms you might like.

Rob Barton
7/12/2009 10:36pm,
Hello, I'm also in Mass near Brockton I f you are ever in that area let me know we can work out a bit, though after 40 my butt has slowed down.

Matt Phillips
7/12/2009 11:13pm,
You guys may want to consider coming to the next Throwdown (Bullshido meet up)

Rob Barton
7/12/2009 11:51pm,
When.. where I might be able to make it depending on my teaching schedule. I have music student weekdays and drum corps on Sundays.

Matt Phillips
7/12/2009 11:56pm,
We were talking about early august. Sat 8/8 would be a good day unless the conflict with the NY TD is a problem for people

Here's the official thread:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=86006&page=1

Satori
7/13/2009 2:06pm,
I can't really make it to Boston unfortunately, a bit out of my way. Convenience of location is very important, since as I said this place is basically right down the street from me, I could bike there easily.

The "Throwdown" thing sounds interesting, but in all honesty I'd probably get my ass handed to me in my current condition. After a couple of months to a year of training, sure, but I've been out of the game for almost a decade and I haven't even started yet (although I have excellent muscle memory and did all of this when I was very young, so I'm fairly certain it will end up coming back quickly.)

Still, my question remains: Does anybody know anything about this Henry Agri place? I'm going to be giving them a call to see when I can sit in on a class after I post this, so...

danniboi07
7/13/2009 2:12pm,
I did say Westborough, MA, didn't I? >.>

Also, I'm not a fan of strict ground fighting. I find it much more effective to focus on increasing my speed and reaction time, being able to block effeciently specifically so that I DON'T get hit in the face, and then react accordingly.

At least in my previous experience, headgear was used during kumite and you were not supposed to punch people square in the face (although that did happen to me, much to the dismay of my opponent when facing him again only a few minutes afterwards in a rematch... but that story is for another day). Side of the head and such where there was padding, sure, but not right in the friggin' nose.

Maybe a boxing gym perhaps? It sounds like you'd enjoy it.

Oh and welcome to Bullshido!

Satori
7/13/2009 3:41pm,
Maybe a boxing gym perhaps? It sounds like you'd enjoy it.

Oh and welcome to Bullshido!

How are you going to block various kicks and punches with your hands held up to protect your face with big-ass gloves on? I need to be able to react effectively to whatever force comes towards me, and redirect it away from me in some manner. Whether that be kicks, punches, trips/sweeps, tackles (into ground fighting), or what have you. All I know is, me and my brother had to deal with gangs a lot (him much more so than myself, him getting jumped by multiple attackers on multiple occasions and still winning), and he was basically a ninja after having to face those horrors day after day.

Your speed and reaction time just get to the point where you don't even think about moves: you just react to them, and suddenly your opponent is on the ground. That is the type of instruction I hope to get, or at least the level I hope to attain someday (and is the main focus of my training). That's why I really like the combination of Kenpo and JJ, as it allows me to get out of pretty much any situation in hand-to-hand combat. Even when dealing with knives (which I've seen much debate over it seems), if you're fast enough you can still attack their arm in some fashion instead of trying to pry it out of their fingers (I figure it's much better to get a cut on your arm or leg once then to get friggin' stabbed and die, survival-wise). It's not about strict forms as much as using all you know to create a fluid artstyle.

Anyways, that's just my opinion I suppose, I'm just drawing on my past experience really. Say what you will about the style, but I believe it gives superior training to individuals who are willing to invest the time and energy required to get to that level. By this I mean being devoted and training pretty much every single day, and committing yourself to getting your ass handed to you plenty of times as you try to improve.

Damn, I hope this post isn't too long, I tend to get a bit preachy sometimes...

EDIT: Oh yea, thanks for the welcome, appreciate it!

danniboi07
7/13/2009 3:51pm,
Boxing doesn't teach you to just put your hands up as a defence. Head movement, weaving, footwork all are taught so you can avoid incoming attacks and launch powerful counters. Nothings worse than throwing something out, missing....and then getting knocked by a counter.

Your choice is yours alone and it's cool with me whichever way you go. Just know that boxing defence isn't just putting your hands up with gloves.

Satori
7/13/2009 7:18pm,
Boxing doesn't teach you to just put your hands up as a defence. Head movement, weaving, footwork all are taught so you can avoid incoming attacks and launch powerful counters. Nothings worse than throwing something out, missing....and then getting knocked by a counter.

Your choice is yours alone and it's cool with me whichever way you go. Just know that boxing defence isn't just putting your hands up with gloves.

Fair enough. To be honest, I've been considering getting a speed bag just to help increase my speed. I could definitely see learning from boxing, but (personal opinion here) I wouldn't want it as my foundation.

I've been doing a lot of research (because I find all MA fighting fascinating, to be honest) and watching a lot of videos on youtube (various tournaments, forms, UFC fights, etc). Found a cool video, even though it isn't Kenpo it should prove the point I'm trying to make on speed and reflexes:

YouTube - Taekwondo vs Shaolin kung fu (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkNTAfYOqaI&feature=related)

That shaolin guy is ridiculous. That's pretty much what I'm looking to attain one day in terms of speed and reaction time, not to mention form. Also, how do I embed youtube videos? Well, the link is there at least...

EDIT: Bleh, figures it does it automagically. Regardless, enjoy (mind the horrible video quality lol)

Satori
7/16/2009 5:55pm,
Just for an update, I'll be enrolling in Kyokushin classes at the local Gold's Gym soon. Wish me luck!

Rob Barton
7/16/2009 6:23pm,
Good luck and have fun with it.