PDA

View Full Version : Went to a WT gym (yes another _ing _un thread)

Pages : [1] 2

Siniq
7/10/2009 3:47am,
Don't flame on me, read the thread first.

I'm out of town, so no SAMBO.

Ok, so I went to my usual gyms in this town(boxing place and kickboxing place) and it turns out they're closed for the summer. So I was left with a choyce, kid's karate-do or WT(wing tsun).

I thoght "**** kata" and went tho tsun. I knew an old friend in the WT gym(ex-judoka) and thoght I'd just work with him and spar and stuff.

So off to the _un I went. I go there and I see a few girls and some of the guys I knew from kickboxing. I'm like "Ok, at least they kinda know me".

So they introduce me to the ai%^&*rlnadh(chinese word for _un teacher or somthing). He asks what have I trained in. I say "bit of kickboxing", thinking he might throw a hissy fit if I say SAMBO. So he's like ok and points me to the locker room.

I quickly change to a tshirt and some sweat pants and get ready for the warmup.

I wait... and wait... and wait...

The AI^&*HSGDAJ(chinese word for master) is talking to the other neeeeeeerdy _uners. He must have talked to them for 20 minutes. Meanwhyle I'm stretching and working up a sweat, trying to keep from catching cobwebs.

Warmup starts.
THE WORST WARMUP EVER! 3 of this, 2 of that, some wrist wirling(wtf), some weird chinese stretching(not so effective) and end of warmup. I feel dissapointed.(not that I wasn't expecting this)

MasterNerd partnered me with someone I'd describe as a combination of Karl from Johnny Bravo and Mandark.

So he hands out a pad and says to kick it. The kid holds it at waist level (I feel almost insulted). We kick it around and stuff.

Master nerd says to new kick at the sholders. I start kicking and after 3 kicks he does somthing that can only be described as a Napolion Dynamite exit(must have hurt him). I WASN'T EVEN TRYING TO KICK HARD!!!WTF??

I find the guy I was supposed to see in the first plase(ex-judo dude).

We start some dead drill that Master nerd shows. And we do it for a sec or 2 and I start to add aliveness and he starts to miss his mark on where he's supposed to block and hit. He's like "Stop doing that." I'm like "Why?". And we continue to add aliveness and we end up sparring.

Sparring to a chunner is like the plague!

We start fighting in clinch, I pull guard and EVERYBODY starts staring. He does some G&P and I go for an arm bar. He escapes and I go for a kneebar. He complains about his balls(WHY DON'T THESE CHUNNERS WEAR CUPS???). I switch to heel hook, he taps, we stand up.

Master nerd shows another dead drill. We do this one almost without grappling.(the sparing was getting anoying)

Master nerd pairs me up with Napolion dynemite/mandark/Karl for this one. We start doing it(He looks away, wich I find offencive) and he slaps me (or somthing) I'm like"I thoght this was a drill! If you wanna go..." He does another Napolion dynamite and runs away.

So Master nerd says he'l do the drill with me. And we start and he starts babeling BS abut center lines. I'm like "ok what ever". He says we should do a somthing-SAO. I'm like ok.

Chi sao(or somthing)

We start and he starts slapping and tickeling me. I clinch. (Lather rince repeat) over and over again.

At the end he says somthing along the lines of "Come on, do somthing."

THAT's my quie. And I do a double leg takedown. He's like "WTF? Can you do that again?". I'm like "Ok". (Lather rince repeat). He start looking verry freaked out and asks me how to stop "that move".

I try to explain the sprawl and the takedown. Everybody stops what they were doing(****-sao) and start imitating us. He's like"Go back to what you were doing". They don't. They start crappling. (one of them even says he's seen somthing like this from a guy called "Bas Ruten")

Masternerd starts telling me he would kick if I was there. I feel like I should explain what happens next. And I show him the kaseta-game and some other side controll positions. He says he can get out with "T3h 3y3 g0ug3" and I'm like "Ok, try it." He tries and tries and tries. and asks me to teach him how to escape. I tell him to find a good judo or wrestling school if he wants to learn that.

So I let him up and we lign up.

Strangth training. (There was none)

they just did theis weird version of a bow and said class is over. I feel sweaty and not as tired as I should be.

What do you say, should I go back on monday?

(my spelling is bad, don't kill me)

Asriel
7/10/2009 4:13am,
As much as I dislike the Chun and the mindset of the vast majority of it's practitioners, you sound like a complete dick.

Why would you go into a Chun School and start busting out grappling moves? Were you trying to humiliate them or show how tough you are?

Did this even happen?

Siniq
7/10/2009 4:18am,
As much as I dislike the Chun and the mindset of the vast majority of it's practitioners, you sound like a complete dick.

Why would you go into a Chun School and start busting out grappling moves? Were you trying to humiliate them or show how tough you are?

Did this even happen?

Yes, it happened and it's not like that. Maby it does sound like I was being a dick... I did actualy do a bunch of _un during that class. What pushed me to grapple was them being cocky, not me. They DID ask me to show them somthing, so I did.

cam4276
7/10/2009 4:32am,

Did this even happen?

I was thinking the same thing. You were lucky they didnt just ask you to leave. You are also assuming you will be welcome back.

nifoc
7/10/2009 5:00am,
I agree with the people saying you were i bit of a dick (not saying I wouldn't have done something similar though). On the other hand, the instructor seemed genuinely curious so by all means go back. You might be able to turn him away from the dark side.

Just try to not be an asshole, instead of not doing the drills as instructed. Point out what you feel is wrong with them and ask him to explain why he is teaching them.

Lebell
7/10/2009 5:13am,
i would totally eyepoke you if you do that in my ing un class.
and i dont even take ing un classes.

Siniq
7/10/2009 5:19am,
Oh, they did ask me to come on monday. Masternerd(still can't remember his name or title) asked me to help him "modernize" the system. I told him my judo friend could help more than me.

socratic
7/10/2009 5:22am,
Don't go back. Seriously. They won't want you around anymore and you don't want to push it.

Kovacs
7/10/2009 5:25am,
I can understand your frustrations Siniq but it sounded like a bit of a disaster for all involved, I wouldn't bother going back mate.

8bit
7/10/2009 5:28am,
Were they were only doing repetitive drills without footwork?

Lebell
7/10/2009 5:40am,
Oh, they did ask me to come on monday. Masternerd(still can't remember his name or title) asked me to help him "modernize" the system. I told him my judo friend could help more than me.
well as it is now you have to go back, otherwise there will be another ing un SIFU(is that what ur looking for?) claiming how a ufc fighter came to his school but didnt dare to come back after being wtfpwned by the might chun.

nice work.

Kambei Shimada
7/10/2009 6:09am,
Go back but this time be nice and politely kick some WT arse. (Dont go disrespecting everyone and acting like a jock douchebag.)

Try and explain the importance of 'Aliveness' this is something WT classes in particular seem to lack.

Beefstyles
7/10/2009 7:45am,
I went to a wing chun class once. Any martial art where you can train with glasses on really isnt worth going to. It was not even a good workout, it was just repetitive hand drills over and over again. At least they apparently spar.

Whathappened
7/10/2009 7:46am,
Masternerd sucks, he knows it and, surprisingly, wants to actually improve.
Finish what you started, go back there, but please this time show some manners like learning to say "master" in another language.

Just sayin'

cyrijl
7/10/2009 7:48am,
I don't think Siniq was being a dick. When I tried to take aikido a very similar thing happened. Everyone told me how bad ass they were and constantly talked down to me telling me 'If you do X, I'll just do Y'. I would ask "Why?". This was a sincered "why" not a "i don't believe you why", and then they would ask me to demonstrate.

It always ended bad for them and they always got upset. I wouldn't go back...and don't even think of teaching of the whole teaching police will start a 100 page thread attacking you.

Lebell
7/10/2009 7:56am,
I went to a wing chun class once. Any martial art where you can train with glasses on really isnt worth going to.

I disagree.
I used to wear glasses during bjj, when i got frustrated because i couldnt pass someone's guard i'd smash him and start cutting the inside of their legs with the glass.

you don't even want to know what i did while wearing braces.