PDA

View Full Version : Judo Black Belt testing criteria

Pages : [1] 2

Mtripp
7/02/2009 7:30pm,
This is what my Uncle and I insisted people do....

Ka-Bar
7/02/2009 8:01pm,
This is how we do promotions at my club. Is this the exception rather than the rule?

El Neko
7/02/2009 8:07pm,
I just did that test for my Shodan in February, I'm curious too, Is this the exception rather than the rule?

Tom Kagan
7/02/2009 8:16pm,
Thread title changed.

Mark,

Do you think you have it within you to create at least one thread a day where the title is descriptive enough to actually mean something as to what the thread is supposed to contain? This is getting tedious.

Kilbourn
7/02/2009 8:20pm,
That is exam is a beast, but I would expect nothing less. I have only been a part of Judo for a short time but I would expect my teacher to know all the things listed with small exceptions to questions like “Which American was the first to win a gold medal at the Women’s World Games in judo?” Personally I’m bad with remembering names.

Myself coming from Taekwondo where I saw a man test for 3rd dan black belt that consisted of him giving a presentation on how TKD changed his life then him preforming a kata (or poomse in TKD). That was it. No sparing not even a board break. I couldn't help but think "He should be showing us all the awesome skill he has" not rambling on about how his son punched some guy, who tried to rob him, in the stomach.

But back to the point yes that test should be the standard and dare I say minimum for those ranks imho.

Lu Tze
7/02/2009 8:38pm,
The BJA's requirements can be found here (http://www.britishjudo.org.uk/development/documents/BJADangradesyllabus.pdf) (from the BJA website. Right click, save as).

It's something I want to start working towards next year. There's no vocabulary component AFAIK (is that usual in the U.S?), there is a competition one though.

kbits
7/02/2009 9:20pm,
MTripp

Damn man...just...damn.

Do your guys also need to satisfy 'minimum competition points' (ie: 100, gained via shiai, ref work, assistant coaching etc) and time in service? Do they also need to fight a line up etc?

PS: No love NNK / KNK ?

datdamnmachine
7/02/2009 9:26pm,
Holy sweet mother...Oh Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn!

Ouch, I would fail fantastically with the Japanese terms I'm sure. This truly make me realize how much I suck at Judo...:(

BKR
7/02/2009 9:48pm,
This is how we do promotions at my club. Is this the exception rather than the rule?

That is the USJA promotion exam. USJF and USA Judo have different procedures and exams. So it should be the rule at USJA clubs.

The state governing bodies of USA Judo have standards they get approved by USA Judo.

Not sure how USJF works.

Regards,

Ben Reinhard

FictionPimp
7/02/2009 9:58pm,
I have never had to do vocab. I had to count to 10, know the rules (a stretch I know), know the names of the techniques of my belt in japanese and english, and be able to do the techniques as well as compete.

I have been pursing my shodan for the last year and I recently gave up trying. There just isn't enough judo around here to find a kata partner, and the requirements are just too much work at this point. I'm happy enough with being a ikkyu. My instructor is retiring this year, so my judo days are just about over. Unofficially I'll keep running the takedown class at my bjj school. It's judo without bowing or belts. We use the judo names of the throws however. We just got two new students who are shodans from the EU. I'm hoping they will maybe be willing to take over the teaching responsibilities from me. I dont' feel qualified and I hate doing it. without a black belt.

But when my judo instructor retires there will be no judo anywhere near me. I'll have to drive from south bend, IN to Portage, MI if I want to train. So I'm just going to quit. The funny thing is this area has 3 or 4 good black belts, but none of them have any interest in starting a school. There is probably 10 good serious judo students in the area that are fragmented, but none of us are qualified to run a real judo club.

It's a sad time for this area really. If I had a kata partner and a real judo class that met more than once a week I might seriously consider trying to keep judo alive here. I also found out my coach doesn't certify our ranks with the USJI until Shodan. So I have 100% 0 proof of my last 4 and 1/2 years of training. Besides owning a gi, a brown belt, and being able to sometimes throw people.

Mtripp
7/03/2009 6:18am,
Thread title changed.

Mark,

Do you think you have it within you to create at least one thread a day where the title is descriptive enough to actually mean something as to what the thread is supposed to contain? This is getting tedious.

I was thinking how nice it was to have an editor who adjusts these things....

Mtripp
7/03/2009 6:27am,
Umm.... I am a rank examiner as well so.

1. Remember I said people were not contacting myself or my Uncle yet were getting promoted anyway. If you were from Michigan, you should have seen us.

2. I think the Camp system was outstanding, and sadly dying out due to small numbers and no money. Spirit of the Eagle had over 100 people or more at times. You had dozens of black belts there who could help you with anything.

3. Kata: Just because you are Shodan does not mean you can't pick your kata! The problem comes in we grade on contest, example Ron Tripp. That is a good thing. But then that contest guy now wants to get higher rank, now he is expected to know 5 or 6 and he hasn't learned any. I watched Mike Swain busting his ass at a Spirit of the Eagle camp working on Katas. However, here is a secret. One of them can be done alone as a karate kata; and the two self-defense katas? Go to an aikido school! I found a kata partner that way, high ranked aikido guy by the way, who loved the idea he was learning Judo kata... go figure. They LOVE the kneeling stuff and the Ju no Kata BTW. Finally, I have seen people grade people doing this without a kata partner, just doing their side of the kata.

4. Rank: Again, this is the great thing about finding a Camp and going there. There will be people there who will test, certify, and register your rank with ANY of the major groups.

Mtripp
7/03/2009 6:29am,
MTripp

Damn man...just...damn.

Do your guys also need to satisfy 'minimum competition points' (ie: 100, gained via shiai, ref work, assistant coaching etc) and time in service? Do they also need to fight a line up etc?

PS: No love NNK / KNK ?

Yes, SAP points we call them, and much has been made over the word "sap."

Mtripp
7/03/2009 6:32am,
Oh, and I am very serious, do not discount the Aikido thing. I would do it again in a heartbeat. You may need to "shop about" to make sure you have a legit Aikido place, but if you do, they will be thrilled to help you... and they can REALLY make your moves look good!

omoplatypus
7/04/2009 3:25pm,
wow, the vocab would be the only part of the test that would be easy to me (good at languages). everything else is a damn beast.

Mtripp
7/04/2009 4:27pm,
FYI

"legs around" is the guard. Top is inside your opponents; bottom is yours.

But there is no guard game in Judo....