PDA

View Full Version : School Superintendent Disarms Gunman, Wrestles Him To the Ground

kwoww
6/30/2009 6:50pm,
This guy used to be the principal of my middle school.

Sorry, elderly boxer, but I feel like this one is just a tad more daring.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2009/06/09/2009-06-09_school_superintendent_wrestles_to_the_ground_di sarms_gunman_at_south_orangtown_m.html

A school administrator wrestled a gun-toting former NYPD cop to the ground Tuesday after the crazed dad barged into a Rockland County school, furious his son got the swine flu, cops said.

Schools Superintendent Ken Mitchell grabbed the weapon away from Peter Cocker after taking him down in his office in South Orangetown Middle School in Blauvelt.

Cocker was enraged that his son had apparently contracted the swine flu, police and neighbors said.

The 37-year-old former Bronx policeman never made it past Mitchell's office.

"It was an incredible bit of bravery and heroism," said Orangetown Supervisor Thom Kleiner. He described Mitchell, a former hockey player, as a "slight guy, very unassuming."

Mitchell's proud family said he did exactly what they expected.
"I'm not surprised that he was able to do this," said Mitchell's brother-in-law Tom Burns, 43. "He's just always someone who, no matter what the circumstances, is going to get the job done."

Gun drawn, Cocker strolled into the school past a security guard's station about 11:30 a.m. The unarmed security agent called cops and in minutes, a SWAT team and several police units converged outside.

When the officer got to Mitchell's office, they found the door had been barricaded and heard the sounds of a "violent struggle," police said.
The officers blasted through the door with a shotgun.

By that point, Mitchell, 55, had already gained the upper hand.
Cocker was slapped with a host of charges, including criminal possession of a weapon and kidnapping.

Burns said Mitchell told him that Cocker was "complaining about the information they put out regarding the swine flu."

The takedown ended a horrifying period for scores of parents, who arrived at the school after reports of the incident surfaced in the early afternoon.

Nervous students remained holed up in their classrooms as teams of cops scoured the building.

"It's very scary," said Eleanor Klepper, whose two daughters - in grades 6 and 7 - were in the school at the time. "It's scary not knowing, not hearing from your kids, and it's scary that someone got in like this."

Cocker, who worked out of the 50th Precinct in the Bronx, joined the force in 2003 and left a year later. His neighbors in Tappan described him as a hothead who has been embroiled in a fiery custody battle with his son's mother.

"He's a psycho," one neighbor said. "He blames the school for his kid's swine flu."

A Peter Cocker with the same date of birth was arrested in June1997, in the Bronx and charged with assault, harassment, criminal mischief and disorderly conduct. He eventually pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct.

G-Off
6/30/2009 9:52pm,
Holy ****. Badass of the Month?

dwkfym
7/01/2009 12:31am,
Ya, this in a state where only authorities and a few other people are allowed to arm themselves. Where is your smart intent now? Great example of why only certain people should own guns.

Craigypooh
7/01/2009 1:44am,
I agree, kwoww, it looks like elderly boxer picked the wrong month to beat up a burglar.

DARPAChief
7/09/2009 5:29pm,
Ya, this in a state where only authorities and a few other people are allowed to arm themselves. Where is your smart intent now? Great example of why only certain people should own guns.

I agree about the "should" part, however what people ought to do and laws that try to enforce that behavior have a lavish history of failing to succeed if stories like these are any indication. People like that crazy dad get the upper hand over others because they simply choose not to play by the rules; there's something wrong with that and gun legislation does **** all to help matters. Just because people can't agree on what the perfect solution would be, they're willing to go with a patently absurd one?

That notwithstanding, that superintendent is inspirational. Thumbs up.

dwkfym
7/09/2009 5:44pm,
I agree about the "should" part, however what people ought to do and laws that try to enforce that behavior have a lavish history of failing to succeed if stories like these are any indication. People like that crazy dad get the upper hand over others because they simply choose not to play by the rules; there's something wrong with that and gun legislation does **** all to help matters. Just because people can't agree on what the perfect solution would be, they're willing to go with a patently absurd one?

That notwithstanding, that superintendent is inspirational. Thumbs up.

Just to clear things up, I meant "should" in sarcasm.

DARPAChief
7/09/2009 5:46pm,
Ah. Gotcha.