PDA

View Full Version : Hey guys need help

Vanilla_Face
6/12/2009 9:03am,
Hey guys im new to the forum, all looks pretty sweet. Im having a bit of a problem choosing between krav maga and MT. I originally wanted to do krav for selfdefence, plus they offer BJJ wing chun and esckrima as part of the system, but have recently been wanting to get into a combat sport, namely MMA, but due to location and not having a car MMA's sadly a bit of a pipe dream so ive settled to maybe doing MT, which there is plenty of here in Adelaide. So was just wondering what your opinion is.

All posts appreciated.

Cheers.

sochin101
6/12/2009 9:11am,
MT has a great reputation around Bullshido.
Krav doesn't.

MT gyms usually compete.
Krav doesn't.

MT provides self-defence in the form of superior firepower, conditioning and shins of DOOOOOM!
Krav has nice t-shirts.

Srsly, the MT is the right choice. Well done.

Adelaide has excellent public transport... nowhere on bus routes?
Or are you in the Hills or somewhere out of the city?

Evil Solvalou
6/12/2009 9:18am,
Four out of five Adelaide serial killers are more afraid of Muay Thai than Krav Maga.

If you list some of the places where you're interested in training I'm sure someone here could give an opinion on them.

Vanilla_Face
6/12/2009 10:20am,
Thanks guys,yer im looking into some MT gyms now ill post some links soon.

sochin101 - yer mate i live down south in the hills ill have to catch a bus where ever i choose to go so anywhere over an hour bus ride is too much lol.

And im not trying to start anything this is just a question but why is there such a bad outlook on krav? from what ive read and seen it seems pretty legit and its used by military organisations around the world so it can't be that bad...

And that was another reason i was unsure about when joining a combat sport is it may be effective in the ring but what about in the street?

thanks for the reply boys

sochin101
6/12/2009 10:33am,
Thanks guys,yer im looking into some MT gyms now ill post some links soon. Cool, I'm pretty sure we have at least 1 Adelaide Bully who is MT.

sochin101 - yer mate i live down south in the hills ill have to catch a bus where ever i choose to go so anywhere over an hour bus ride is too much lol.I hear you. It took us an hour to get from Mount Barker into the city.
All there seems to be available in the smaller towns is TKD & GKR *shudder*.

And im not trying to start anything this is just a question but why is there such a bad outlook on krav? from what ive read and seen it seems pretty legit and its used by military organisations around the world so it can't be that bad...Valid question.
It seems that many arts that focus purely on the self-defence aspect miss out on a lot of the more practical stuff in favour of "OMG it's a mugger with a knife... quick, do this 53 move wrist-lock/knife-disarm/Riverdance move.
Also, it's very rare to find a reality-based SD art that trains 'alive' and pressure tests the techniques the same way as combat sports.

And that was another reason i was unsure about when joining a combat sport is it may be effective in the ring but what about in the street?Most combat sports (in addition to situational awareness, common sense and the intent to survive) will serve well on the streets. As would a pair of running shoes...

cyril
6/12/2009 10:35am,
Thanks guys,yer im looking into some MT gyms now ill post some links soon.

sochin101 - yer mate i live down south in the hills ill have to catch a bus where ever i choose to go so anywhere over an hour bus ride is too much lol.

And im not trying to start anything this is just a question but why is there such a bad outlook on krav? from what ive read and seen it seems pretty legit and its used by military organisations around the world so it can't be that bad...

And that was another reason i was unsure about when joining a combat sport is it may be effective in the ring but what about in the street?

thanks for the reply boys

Street v Sport has been done to death.

The thing about Krav is that while you may find good training, it's often harder to find than good Muay Thai training. Competition keeps a sport oriented towards building fighters. A lot of "Street" martial arts don't build fighters, but technique jockeys who have never fought a resisting opponent. Often they use excuses such as too deadly to spar, too many injuries in sports, too many rules in sports, but what it comes down to is that if you practice to beat someone who is trying to beat you, you will learn how to beat someone who is trying to beat you. Krav can range from places that spar full aliveness 90% of the time to places that never spar. In Muay Thai, you're more likely to find a gym that spars with full aliveness than one that never spars. Thus you get a bunch of people here suggesting you find a Muay Thai place since you have a better chance of picking a good school.

It is Fake
6/12/2009 10:55am,
Not true.

I can show you the claims of Karate, Ninjitsu, Wing Chun, etc etc etc that all claim to be used by the military.

That is the selling point. If you dig deeper you will find what you get is not the Military training. Heck it isn't even the Law Enforcement Training. It is the civilian training which can be good and can be bad.

The outlook became bad when it fell back into what we call larping. Krav is what can be referred to as Reality Based Self defense. When it started, it was very good. You worked on high percentage techniques, under pressure, and situational awareness.

Slowly it succumbed to marketing. If you go to the right places you can do a weekend seminar and be certified to teach. When this happened the quality suffered.

Evil Solvalou
6/12/2009 11:38am,

Martial Arts are a product to be sold, and as such the people selling them use marketing to make them look as good as possible.

This isn't a good or bad thing, it just is. The Gracie family used marketing to sell GJJ; they had an open mat policy and took on all comers, and the most important part, they filmed it and used it to demonstrate their style. Royce winning the early UFCs was also marketing and advertising the style, showing it's dominance against the mainstream styles of the time.

Krav Maga also uses marketing to sell it's style. They play off the link to the Israli military to give it credibility, it's been featured in movies and other things. There are also many demonstration videos around for it.

The main difference between the two is that the Gracies showed their style working in a mostly uncontrolled environment, while the Krav people mostly just show compliant demos.

It's our responsibility as consumers to try to look past the marketing and see the truth, coming to Bullshido was probably the smartest thing you've done so far to do that.

Some general rules I would apply when thinking about this sort of thing:

1. If a demonstration consists of compliant drills and coreographed displays then those particular examples aren't of much use. A good demonstration of a style would show it in an alive, resisting manner. Don't be fooled by clever editing and heavy metal designed to make it look better and more hardcore.

2. Don't read YouTube comments. Ever.

3. If a representative makes a claim, such as "it's used by police and military", try to verify it yourself. This doesn't mean asking on Yahoo answers or something. The best way to find out would be to ask people who would know first hand; the people in the military.

4. Don't believe everything you read and see, either on television or the Internet, and especially on movies. Always think about things logically and make up your own mind.

Bear in mind that I'm an idiot, and as such someone will be along shortly to tell me I'm a tool and correct everything I've just written, but these are just my thoughts on the matter. You don't have to listen, in fact I would recommend you don't.:jerkit2yf

Vanilla_Face
6/13/2009 12:14am,
Thanks fellas you bring a some very valid points, the krav club i was considering joining actually looked like they put in decent training, but like you said it cost heaps for membership plus u have to pay for entry classes so thats a bit of a bust i reacon. If not for the krav maga though, i might still look into possibly the BJJ or esckrima.

www.sdtactics.com.au (http://www.sdtactics.com.au)

2. Don't read YouTube comments. Ever.

Amen to that.

Anyways heres some MT clubs ive checked out.

http://www.fumtc.com/

http://www.southsidemuaythai.com.au

http://www.theyounglions.net/home.htm

im pretty keen on lions or southside

Cheers guys. keep them post coming:icon_thum

Vanilla_Face
6/14/2009 8:10am,
No reviews:cry:?