PDA

View Full Version : TKD Groundfighting Pictures

Pages : [1] 2

KO'd N DOA
5/28/2009 11:15am,
Often in TKD I would be asked to show some groundfighting techniques, or throws, especially to the higher grades. Therefore when I found this website photo archive it just looked great that they still open to more groundfighting type of cross-over seminars.

How do you like these?
http://www.ictf-admin.com/ictfgallery/2009/index2.html

That really takes me back.

Miguksaram
5/28/2009 2:49pm,
There is a new drama in Korea called slingshot. In it the bad guy almost kills one person going through different holds. He even goes as far as telling which choke he was using to kill him with....he went from triangle to gullotine to rear naked...in the end he didn't get to finish the job. Looks like more more "mma" type fighting is making its way into the mainstream media over there.

KO'd N DOA
5/29/2009 11:48am,
I really thing thats a Good thing- yes? Is it more palitable coming from MMA in America?

Hedgehogey
5/29/2009 12:59pm,
I bet these guys think they have such huge dicks for doing wristlocks and kimuras on a hardwood floor

Kintanon
5/29/2009 1:04pm,
Of course! Anything done on a hardwood floor is automagically better than the same thing done on soft fluffy mats. It's EVEN MORE effective if you are doing it on concrete! That's why you "sport fighters" would get murdered by REAL traditional martial artist, they train on granite boulders!

MaverickZ
5/29/2009 1:08pm,
Often in TKD I would be asked to show some groundfighting techniques, or throws, especially to the higher grades. Therefore when I found this website photo archive it just looked great that they still open to more groundfighting type of cross-over seminars.

How do you like these?
http://www.ictf-admin.com/ictfgallery/2009/index2.html

That really takes me back.
Going to have to disagree with you. This type of sprinkling of grappling techniques to people spending the majority of their time training in a completely different art will provide no benefit. If they want to learn grappling then they need to train in grappling. Doing a kimura in between roundhouse kicks and tae kwon do forms is a waste of time.

Granted I don't know the goal of this seminar, though from the pictures it looked like a buffet style seminar. But if they want an introduction to grappling as a way to kick off actual grappling training, then they need an actual grappling seminar. And from a real grappling instructor.

This "Hey, check out this **** I saw on TV." style showing off isn't helping anyone. You can't learn grappling by doing a random subset of techniques found in a grappling style. Just like you can't learn tae kwon do by practicing just the roundhouse and a 360 jump spinning hook kicks.

The lack of mats simply attests to the inexperience of the demonstrators. They could have at least brought some folding ones.

kenpostudent
5/29/2009 1:11pm,
Of course! Anything done on a hardwood floor is automagically better than the same thing done on soft fluffy mats. It's EVEN MORE effective if you are doing it on concrete! That's why you "sport fighters" would get murdered by REAL traditional martial artist, they train on granite boulders!

That's what I always say... beware of broken glass, dirty needles, and those sudden cracks in the ground that open up after 10.0 earthquakes.

Don't hate on the TKD guys for trying, though. Would you have them do nothing instead?

MaverickZ
5/29/2009 1:15pm,
Don't hate on the TKD guys for trying, though. Would you have them do nothing instead?
No, I would have them contact an actual grappling teacher.

kenpostudent
5/29/2009 1:26pm,
No, I would have them contact an actual grappling teacher.

But then they would realize that TKD sucks only do something better. All those TKD schools would shut down, sending a shockwave through our already recessionary economy. Why destroy a vibrant sector of the economy just to propigate martial truth? McDojoism is good for the economy.

MaverickZ
5/29/2009 1:28pm,
But then they would realize that TKD sucks only do something better. All those TKD schools would shut down, sending a shockwave through our already recessionary economy. Why destroy a vibrant sector of the economy just to propigate martial truth? McDojoism is good for the economy.
Incoherent rantings without content are not helpful.

KO'd N DOA
5/29/2009 1:53pm,
A grappling teacher is a great idea, and using mats is highly recommended.

But what I am getting at is that if two TKD people have a real fight, When they fall to the ground, at least the one who falls to the ground has a rudimentry game plan, instead of waiting for a non existant whistle, or getting pummeled.

A by-product at a grappling seminar I gave to my TKD class, was that the 3 degree black belt took another bunch of one on ones lessons. Became way more functional on the ground than the first time we trained.

Hopefully he is not teaching it, as he was not that good yet, and everything from him was, "...and then I get to my feet".

MaverickZ
5/29/2009 2:24pm,
A grappling teacher is a great idea, and using mats is highly recommended.

But what I am getting at is that if two TKD people have a real fight, When they fall to the ground, at least the one who falls to the ground has a rudimentry game plan, instead of waiting for a non existant whistle, or getting pummeled
Well, if two retarded kids get into the fight, the one that isn't a paraplegic will probably fare better. But I'd still rather not be retarded. Nor would I recommend someone to be retarded on purpose.

Tom .C
5/29/2009 2:28pm,
Exposure to grappling was often the beginning for most of us. Of course exposure to better grappling would become the goal. Good idea KO'd N DOA!!

MaverickZ
5/29/2009 2:37pm,
Exposure to grappling was often the beginning for most of us. Of course exposure to better grappling would become the goal. Good idea KO'd N DOA!!
I don't think I argued against exposure to grappling.

1point2
5/29/2009 2:53pm,

Exposure's not bad, it's just that everyone needs to understand that a seminar isn't going to produce any ability in a foreign skillset.

Tom .C
5/29/2009 3:06pm,

I wasn't directing the post at yours. Just bad timing. I have met people who have never experienced grappling, and with some exposure, got swept up and never looked back. A seminar is a good place to get a taste before any commitment is required. I have also had people show up to Judo and never come back. (workout effort more than expected) It's just a good idea to offer that exposure to students that don't normally get to see it. One of the things I like about all of the Gracie seminars is the attraction of so many new people to grappling.