PDA

View Full Version : Question about glove weights

Sidewynnder
5/21/2009 1:39am,
Hi guys, I am a new poster here although I have been a lurker for quite a while. I am starting Muay Thai lessons and after using the gyms gloves I really want to get a pair of my own.

My question is this, what is the the difference between the weights of the gloves. I would really be doing mostly bag and mitt work with them right now, with sparring to come later.

Also, are most gloves one size fits all?

Thanks!

BaronVonDingDong
5/21/2009 8:41am,
Hi,

Do you mean size or weight? Gloves come generally in one size, but a variety of different weights measured in ounces. The heavier the gloves, the more padding and protection they offer you and your sparring partner.

Hopefully a Muay Thai practitioner will come on and tell you what's the norm for MT, though in my boxing club 16oz gloves are used for both bag work and sparring. You can also buy dedicated bag gloves if you wish and have two sets.

Ming Loyalist
5/21/2009 9:33am,
the weight of the gloves you use is generally proportional to your body weight.

<150lbs - 14oz
150-220lbs - 16oz
>220lbs - 18oz or more

(those are my guidelines but are pretty common ones)

if you are getting only one pair of gloves, i suggest "training" gloves or "safety" gloves meant for sparring. if you have the money, and want to save wear and tear on your sparring gloves, you could buy dedicated bag gloves for bag work (but that's usually not needed.)

Sidewynnder
5/21/2009 10:17am,
Thanks for the replies guys. I meant weight, sorry if that wasn't clear. At this point I will only be purchasing one pair of gloves, but perhaps when I get some more money down the road I will look into a second pair. Is training on bags and sparring with the same pair going to provide a ton of extra wear on them?

Ming Loyalist
5/21/2009 10:32am,
Thanks for the replies guys. I meant weight, sorry if that wasn't clear. At this point I will only be purchasing one pair of gloves, but perhaps when I get some more money down the road I will look into a second pair. Is training on bags and sparring with the same pair going to provide a ton of extra wear on them?

nope. unless you're training 3+ hrs a day, 6 days a week, i suspect a single pair of gloves will be just fine.

if you want them to last, get a pair of glove dogs to put in them when you aren't using them. that will keep them from getting smelly like the gym gloves.

Torakaka
5/21/2009 10:46am,
using sparring gloves for bag/mitt work sucks. I'd highly recommend just getting a nice pair of bag gloves if you're only doing bag/mitt work and getting a pair of 16oz sparring gloves when you start sparring.

I don't own a pair myself, but this style of gloves are awesome for bag/mitt work:

http://store.titleboxing.com/titleboxing-gel-world-bag-gloves.html

Personally I have a pair of 12oz competition gloves for "training" and a pair of 14oz sparring gloves (the kind with the sleeves that roll over the cuff).

If you can avoid getting cheap gloves I STRONGLY recommend it. Stay away from the cheap Everlast crap you find at local sporting goods stores.

DSL
5/22/2009 6:25pm,
OP, I ended up going with Everlast 14's from Big 5, It think they ran like $25. Held up for two years (although I have to tape the right one on now heh, velro lets go). I could probably stand to use 16's or 18's but I have pretty good control and don't take anyone's head off.

I think my next pair will be American Standup, our gym is Oregon's reseller on those and they seem to be great quality. Anyone have anything to say on lace vs velcro? I know laces could take time but I'm wondering on longevity. (about 10-12 hours a week of stand-up).

KS, thanks, I'll look into the bag gloves, might be nice to have a dedicated pair.

Torakaka
5/22/2009 7:38pm,
Laced gloves are too much of a pain for doing a class, though they do get a nicer fit. If you get the gloves with the roll over sleeves then the velcro isn't an issue, though the sleeves do still make getting the gloves on an off by yourself a pain. If you get higher quality gloves, the velcro is going to be nicer and stay together better. I kinda think that you should replace your gloves every so often anyway since the padding does wear out after a while.

edit: the cheap everlast training gloves were my first pair of gloves. Eventually the velcro completely wore out and I started using the Top Contender 14oz gloves for training and it was a HUGE improvement, though bag work with them was still unpleasant because of the padding. Now I use Windy 12oz competition gloves and my hands are much MUCH happier for it. I used the Gel bag gloves a few times that my kickboxing coach let borrow and it felt like my hands were coated in super shock absorbent armor, in addition to forcing your hand into a nice solid position.

DSL
5/22/2009 11:23pm,
I like the design of the TC MMA safety training gloves, padding like a bigger glove but still able to grapple with them. I like the wrap around closure on the American Standup ones, but they run about $60 or so from my coach, similar to the Title (I think maybe knock offs?).
I'll check around the gym and see if someone has TC boxing ones to look at.

Ps. Dad got me a boot dryer, I don't wear boots, almost never wear shoes... Dad rules, and my gloves love me now, dry out overnight after I lysol them, happy happy. Best present in 30 years heh.

retrograde
5/24/2009 6:39am,
I'd start by asking your trainer if he/she has a preference. You might find you have to wear 16s for sparring, or you have to wear bag gloves for pads.

After that, your size and then just personal preference come into play.

Yes, using sparring gloves on bags/pads will wear them out quicker (but they should still last years if they're good quality).

I pretty much do everything in a pair of 12oz Twins, but I'm a 120lbs girl.

Sidewynnder
6/25/2009 3:26pm,
I ended up going with a pair of 14oz Twins. I spoke with my instructor about it and he said 14oz would be fine for me.

I went with the sparring gloves to start with as I need them for our sparring sessions and I am fine with using them on the bags and mitts. Although, I will say that bag gloves are more comfortable with the pads and bags and mitts, so I will be looking to get a pair later on down the road.

I actually had my first light boxing sparring session this week, I have a lot to learn that's for sure! But it was fun and it felt good putting to use what I have been learning over the past few weeks.

Thanks for all the help guys and gals!

TheMarquis
6/27/2009 5:52pm,
Laced gloves are too much of a pain for doing a class,

There's also another good reason why lace ups are not a good idea...

During sparing sessions, just clipping someone with the lace side can cause some nasty injuries... especially near the eyes, ears and mouth... basically anywhere where there's more delicate tissue or something fleshy that can get caught.
In fact, I know of people who used to go to a dodgy boxing club many years ago and the lighter weight divisions were 'semi-advised against (READ: told to do it pretty much)' how to turn the hand during a strike to make sure there was more chance of cutting the opponent with the laced section....
I usually use some 14oz Lonsdale PU gloves if the sparing is going to be a bit of a 'full board' session.. that of course is entirely dependent with who I am sparing with. So your choice seems like a pretty good one to me... you may consider having something a bit more padded down the line (I used to used 10oz - which were wayy too light for robust sparing) when you get the striking techniques more refined and the core strength starts to get a bit more 'meaty' thus giving more of a wallop to you errr... wallops...

GHemmer
6/28/2009 12:42pm,
Just get a pair of bag gloves for the bag, but once you start sparring i reccomend 16 oz. boxing gloves and make sure there not a cheesy 20 dollar pair of gloves thats made out of synthetic leather or they'll last you 2 weeks make sure they're high quality made out of real leather

TheMarquis
7/09/2009 5:10pm,
Just get a pair of bag gloves for the bag, but once you start sparring i reccomend 16 oz. boxing gloves and make sure there not a cheesy 20 dollar pair of gloves thats made out of synthetic leather or they'll last you 2 weeks make sure they're high quality made out of real leather

Yeah - the PU are cheaper, but they don't 'breath' like real leather... plus after a few rounds of sparing your hands in PU gloves feel like someone's trying to boil them in a bag... they do get real sweaty real quick.