PDA

View Full Version : Tang Soo Do belts

Pages : [1] 2

TheWanderingTaoist
5/19/2009 2:40pm,
I hope this isn't too silly of a question, but I've just been wondering this lately. I've noticed Tang Soo Do practioners wear navy blue belts instead of a black belt. So when they reach this level do they refer to themselves as black belts or blue belts? And is there any particular reason they do wear the navy belts versus black belts like other Korean styles wear?

Zapruder
5/19/2009 2:45pm,
Ah, black signifies death and the end, but receiving your 1st Dan is just the BEGINNING of your training, at least that is what I was told when I got my first Dan. We all called each other blackbelts, even though it was midnight blue.

Cuchulain
5/19/2009 2:52pm,
I was told the above as well, but also to signify that a practitioner can never truly master the techniques therefore can quite reach blackbelt. But yeah it's the equivelent of a blackbelt.

Craigypooh
5/19/2009 3:01pm,
In our association you receive a mid-night blue belt as the last belt before black. You are referred to as Cho Dan Bo, which I was told means black belt candidate. You go to black belt classes for 6 months, then do another test after which, if you pass, you then receive a black belt (which is actually black).

Angrydog
5/19/2009 6:58pm,
I was in the same situtation has Craig you earned chodanbo then did the trial except we had what they called "Stripes" inbetween belts wich where little peaces of tape and you had to earn them before bieng promoted. Cho Dan Bo was the only rank without a stripe.

TheWanderingTaoist
5/19/2009 7:57pm,
Angrydog the TKD school I studied at also had a stripe belt before black that they called a trial black belt.(it was the only striped belt) I remember instructors always telling us we were really black belts but that we would be watched for 6 months to see how we behaved then after that we could retest, pay $350 and be Kukkiwon registered BB's. They actually called this a black tip belt even though it was a black belt with a white stripe sewed through the center not tip. One instructor also said the GM actually used the black tip as a humility and embarrassment tool because in Asia that color belt used to be known as a woman's black belt and back when I was studying it was mostly guys who studied MA .

Long story short to this day I don't exactly know for sure if I'm a black belt or not so I don't know what to tell people if they ask. Not that many people ask though. lol I studied WTF TKD for 6 years. I only left the school because I received a head and neck injury during the black tip test. Months and years later I started noticing memory & attention issues and have been diagnosed with traumatic brain injury. I only got my head kicked in because they took my glasses away before sparring and I'm nearsighted. I wished I'd been bold to demand my glasses back since I always sparred in class with my glasses on. But back then instructors were gods.

DerAuslander
5/20/2009 1:00am,
This is the official reason. Hwang Gi, founder of the Mudeokgwan, chose midnight blue for two reasons. Firstly, he saw a pre-Occupation military uniform which was bordered with midnight blue cloth. This is why Mudeokgwan uniforms have colored borders. Further, Hwang Gi felt that black symbolized completeness & perfection, and since this was not achievable the darkest color awarded would be midnight blue.

TheWanderingTaoist
5/20/2009 2:05pm,
That sounds like a good reason to me to wear a midnight blue belt.

Angrydog
5/20/2009 2:40pm,
The biggest red flag despite smaller warnings is that they made you sighn up and pay to be a blackbelt. glad too see you do Judo.

Angrydog
5/20/2009 2:45pm,
Maybe it was a good idea because your glasses could have broken. And what are the chances your glasses wont fly off in a fight anyway? I hope you recover and it doesnt have to much of an affect on you.

TheWanderingTaoist
5/22/2009 3:32am,
Actually I had shatterproof glasses. Taking them off basically was forcing me to fight blind. That was over 15 years ago and I have permanent brain damage because of this and am having a rather difficult time of things actually. Still I miss being in the martial arts and am considering if and how to get back into it.

BTW- Fee thing is just part of WTF Taekwondo. You have to pay a very hefty amount for your black belt test because of the registration charges in Kukkiwon. The Korean govt gets a cut from it I think. I didn't sign up for a black belt program meaning I didn't buy my black belt, or black tip belt whatever you want to call it. I actually didn't pay for my classes and worked for the school in lieu of tuition charges. And like I said I studied TKD 6 years its not like I was part of a 2 year black belt factory school (ie:McDojo)! In the old days 6 years was the time it took to get a black belt.

DerAuslander
5/22/2009 10:24am,
That was over 15 years ago and I have permanent brain damage because of this and am having a rather difficult time of things actually.

If you have medical proof of this, and didn't sue, you're a fucking idiot.

If you don't have medical proof, shut the **** up.

Miguksaram
5/22/2009 2:49pm,
BTW- Fee thing is just part of WTF Taekwondo. You have to pay a very hefty amount for your black belt test because of the registration charges in Kukkiwon. The Korean govt gets a cut from it I think.

Any hefty fine is coming form your instructor. KKW charges $70 for 1st dan $90 for 2nd and $120 for 3rd. Anything above that is profit for the instructor.

TheWanderingTaoist
5/24/2009 1:32am,
If you have medical proof of this, and didn't sue, you're a fucking idiot.

If you don't have medical proof, shut the **** up.

My aren't you a friendly jerk. Neuropsychologists are the ones test for brain damage and I have had 3 neuropsych evaluations totalling 25 hours of testing time. So yes I have 3 diagnosis of brain damage or more techinically TBI from the kick in the head is that enough proof for you. Suing would be hard to do because the bozo that took off my glasses no longer teaches there and apparently that facility is owned by someone else. (I'm 2000 miles away so its hard to check these things out). Right now getting disability is more important than suing as a form of vengence. If it comes to suing I'd rather sue the Pakistani prick who kicked me full force in the head since we weren't permitted to use headgear or any other sparring equipment at that school.

omoplatypus
5/24/2009 2:13am,
My aren't you a friendly jerk.
don't mind DA. it's nothing personal. it's just a zen thing.

i don't get it either, but that's just him.

DSL
5/24/2009 3:51am,
This is the official reason. Hwang Gi, founder of the Mudeokgwan, chose midnight blue for two reasons. Firstly, he saw a pre-Occupation military uniform which was bordered with midnight blue cloth. This is why Mudeokgwan uniforms have colored borders. Further, Hwang Gi felt that black symbolized completeness & perfection, and since this was not achievable the darkest color awarded would be midnight blue.

Errant, I don't mean any offense by this but I was curious. Why is it that you use a different Romanization of Hangul than most? While i realize that the second syllable use of kiyok is usually a hard G, it's always printed 'k' in the current system. IE Mud duk kwan vs MudeokGwan or Gi vs Kee etc? Much like I've seen you write Taegwondo vs Taekwondo etc.

Not ball busting, just curious.

On a tangent, anyone have a semi-decent mostly-factual history/lineage of Hwang Kee? My line goes through MDK TSD/TKD and stops at him, always wondered what was past him _really_.