PDA

View Full Version : Starting with private lessons as a total noob?

citadels
5/19/2009 1:37pm,
Hey. I have no martial arts experience and I'm interested in Muay Thai. I'm considering starting off with private lessons because I figure I'll progress more rapidly, and be less likely to get demoralized and quit. Am I on the right track here, or am I better off in a group setting starting out?

Also, I'm 24, ten to fifteen pounds overweight, and haven't exercised regularly in months. Would it be a good idea to just hit the gym for a couple weeks and get a little bit of conditioning in before I get started? I've read the workouts in Muay Thai are pretty demanding, which is one of the reasons I'm interested, but I don't want to spend the whole first class gasping for air necessarily. Or is that just standard for everybody?

I'm in Chicago btw, if anyone is from the area or can recommend a place to train here I'd appreciate it. Thanks a lot.

Sang
5/19/2009 1:49pm,
How much spare cash do you have? If an extra 100 a week is pocket change to you then take the private lessons as well as the classes. You probably would progress marginally quicker initially just taking lessons but you'll also miss out on a great aspect of starting from scratch in a gym.

You say you are worried about losing motivation and quitting, when you workout in a class setting you quickly make friends, typically the couple of guys who hold pads for you. Then as you progress and 80% of the class you started with drops out you quickly become part of a core group of beginners who provide very strong motivation to continue. i'd say a good 50% of my motivation to go in each day to the gym is to not let my buddies down (half of who i can't remember their names) and to socialize.

If you just take private sessions you might miss out on this aspect and become disinterested.

Sang
5/19/2009 1:51pm,
Oh and jump right into MT, i guarantee there will be someone even more out of shape in the beginner class you can commiserate with. Don't bother going to a gym for a few weeks first.

Ka-Bar
5/19/2009 2:48pm,
Going to the gym first isn't going to do you a whole lot of good because running on the treadmill or lifting weights might get you in slightly better shape, but it won't get you in Muay Thai shape, which is different.

You're better off just going to class, instead of missing 2 weeks of class to go to the gym. You won't be the first out of shape newbie they've ever had and you won't be the last. Push yourself, take a break when you have to and go at least 3 times a week. You'll get in shape fairly quick that way.

Tex
5/19/2009 3:05pm,
Oh and jump right into MT, i guarantee there will be someone even more out of shape in the beginner class you can commiserate with. Don't bother going to a gym for a few weeks first.

I was that guy.. After the first couple of times that I purged in the trash can, I was alright..

It would take you too long in a gym to build up to the kind of specialized workouts and routines that Muay Thai has.. A good MT class never really stops.. pretty much like boxing, they are in there doing excercises, drills, bag and pad work, and sparring from the time the bell rings to the end of class.

As long as you are cool with the fact that its gonna hurt for a while, eventually you will get used to it.. by then, you will see results and know some of the basics.. that should keep you in there.

Kishi
5/19/2009 3:17pm,
^ What they said.

alex
5/20/2009 3:48am,
depends, as a PT i do a lot of one on one MT training. i would say these guys get better exponentially faster than a newb in a muay thai gym, but only to a point- after that point they need to be sparring people of different sizes and styles to keep progressing at a decent rate.

Lebell
5/20/2009 4:29am,
ill probably come of as a dick but the op's mindset doesnt give me much hope.

the ' going to gym in order to get in shape' ' progress more rapidly' are red flags.

you havent started yet and already came up with two excuses.
how much do you want to start MT, sounds to me like you arent 100% sure yet.

Onr3e
5/20/2009 6:53am,
the amount of cardio you do at MT is alot more than those 2 weeks on a treadmill.

Since you haven't started yet, I don't think you understand how hardcore MT is.

It's fkn hardcore. You will feel sick and you will want to collapse and cry in a corner. The upside however, is you get fit extremely fast. Your shoulders will bulk, your waistline will go down, your legs will get stronger, your head will spin. Your gonna wish your instructor will stop saying "keep your hands up", "50 more squats" and "plank!".

Lu Tze
5/20/2009 7:25am,
Would it be a good idea to just hit the gym for a couple weeks and get a little bit of conditioning in before I get started?No, because you'll just end up putting it off indefinitely.
but I don't want to spend the whole first class gasping for air necessarily. Or is that just standard for everybody?It's standard for everyone, don't worry about it. A couple of weeks training beforehand really isn't going to help either way.

P.S. What Lebell said.

Lebell
5/20/2009 7:52am,
Citadel, you'll find that muay thai is an entirely different way of using and develloping stamina, i personally cant come up with any sport to compare it with.
Get the stamina from doing it.

Snake Plissken
5/20/2009 1:04pm,
Hey. I have no martial arts experience and I'm interested in Muay Thai. I'm considering starting off with private lessons because I figure I'll progress more rapidly, and be less likely to get demoralized and quit. Am I on the right track here, or am I better off in a group setting starting out?

Also, I'm 24, ten to fifteen pounds overweight, and haven't exercised regularly in months. Would it be a good idea to just hit the gym for a couple weeks and get a little bit of conditioning in before I get started? I've read the workouts in Muay Thai are pretty demanding, which is one of the reasons I'm interested, but I don't want to spend the whole first class gasping for air necessarily. Or is that just standard for everybody?

I'm in Chicago btw, if anyone is from the area or can recommend a place to train here I'd appreciate it. Thanks a lot.

You are better off just training in group classes for quite a long while and then when you are better, start on the private lessons, which are designed to one-on-one fine tune your gross skills, which are forged by actually working out with people.

Save your private lessons cash until you can actually benefit from them.

citadels
5/20/2009 4:30pm,
Appreciate all the responses guys, I think I understand what I'm getting into a lot better now, sounds like I definitely underestimated the Muay Thai workouts. I'm just gonna start the regular group classes next Tuesday, looking forward to getting my ass handed to me.

Lebell
5/21/2009 6:21am,
good for you citadels!

just sdtart, dont expect too much of yourself, just give it your 100% and enjoy, make new friends etc.
take it easy, and do give us some feedback on how it went for you. ;-)

Snake Plissken
5/21/2009 9:52am,
Appreciate all the responses guys, I think I understand what I'm getting into a lot better now, sounds like I definitely underestimated the Muay Thai workouts. I'm just gonna start the regular group classes next Tuesday, looking forward to getting my ass handed to me.

Keep us informed of your progress and have fun.

Big Gorilla
5/22/2009 6:36pm,
If private lessons aren't going to make a dent in your bank account then I'd heartily recommend them as a good supplement to regular classes. It will get you up to speed significantly more quickly. Ten years ago, I tried some private kickboxing lessons with a champion and the accelerated learning was fantastic.

Personally, these days, I do it without spending the extra cash. Specifically, I found myself a training partner (judo) who is free (we have to hire a mat) and we both practice whatever we want intensively.

The more you do, the better you'll be.