PDA

View Full Version : NOOB father wants most effective self defense for His Son

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

COOPE12
5/18/2009 9:25pm,
Hello all

i'm a small stature man in a big stature world, and am looking for the most self defense for my son. As a child i was small and always being picked on, i don't want my son to have to endure these unpleasant situations i had to experience.

( please feel free to correct me as i am uninformed )

but my thoughts are that the most rounded art would be jujitsu
followed by judo, then boxing maybe.

COOP

cyril
5/18/2009 9:30pm,
JiuJitsu is great, so is Judo. If you give us a location around where you live, I'm sure some bullies can suggest a decent training area around.

jspeedy
5/18/2009 9:33pm,
How old is your son? What does he want to do? That's a good starting place.

When I was a kid my Dad wanted me to play baseball, as a result I hated it. I wanted to do karate and wasn't allowed to (may have been a good thing after all).

Encouragement is great. Sometimes a little push helps to give a really unmotived person some inspiration. Negative forceful attitudes will get you no where and could backfire. NOt that you're doing that or anything, I'm just speaking from my expierence.

It is Fake
5/18/2009 9:41pm,
Here read through this:

http://www.bullshido.org/Finding_a_good_martial_arts_school

Specifically, near the bottom of the page, is a section titled "CHOSING A MARTIAL ART FOR YOUR CHILD."

Hope that helps.

Kishi
5/18/2009 9:43pm,
If you're looking for a self-defense system, Krav Maga is probably the best fit. That's assuming that all you're looking for for your son is self-defense. Honestly, though, it's probably best to see if he's even interested in martial training.

Omega Supreme
5/18/2009 9:52pm,
If you're looking for a self-defense system, Krav Maga is probably the best fit. That's assuming that all you're looking for for your son is self-defense. Honestly, though, it's probably best to see if he's even interested in martial training.

Dude, shut up until you actually know what you're talking about.

Omega Supreme
5/18/2009 9:53pm,
How old is your son? What does he want to do? That's a good starting place.

When I was a kid my Dad wanted me to play baseball, as a result I hated it. I wanted to do karate and wasn't allowed to (may have been a good thing after all).

Encouragement is great. Sometimes a little push helps to give a really unmotived person some inspiration. Negative forceful attitudes will get you no where and could backfire. NOt that you're doing that or anything, I'm just speaking from my expierence.

QFT...

jspeedy
5/18/2009 10:02pm,
QFT?...Quantum Field Theory(maybe)?

Omega Supreme
5/18/2009 10:08pm,
QFT=Quoted for Truth.

jnp
5/18/2009 10:20pm,
Judo or wrestling are excellent grappling arts that allow a smaller person to control a bigger person, provided the big person has less technical skill. Additionally they usually present less legal and physical danger than striking does.

Beorn
5/18/2009 10:26pm,
Judo is also cheap and widely available, how was I the first person to say that on this thread?

jspeedy
5/18/2009 10:29pm,
QFT=Quoted for Truth.

Thanks. I went ahead and looked it up (after my dorkish smartassy reply) just in case you were saying Quit F*ing Talking or something else mean. In which case I would have cried myself to sleep again.

cuatro76
5/18/2009 10:36pm,
If wrestling is offered at his school, sign him up. If not, Judo or BJJ. If your kid is having trouble with school bullies, he needs to be able to control the situation with grappling, not retaliate with punches and kicks.

JavaRonin
5/18/2009 10:49pm,
It can also help if he gets in shape. It's a simple fact that kids with some muscle mass and who look like they can kick ass don't get picked on, short or not.

Rask
5/19/2009 5:08am,
A grappling art such as BJJ would be best. If you analyse any schoolyard fights, the majority of them aren't boxing matches - the kids grab onto each other, and often end up on the ground. A grappler can always take the fight to the ground, anyway. With grappling skills your son can pin his opponent to the ground or control then via a painful joint-lock (holding them until a teacher can intervene), or in extreme cases choke them or apply the lock to cause them to submit or be injured. In any case it avoids blood, broken noses, bruises, black eyes, etc... the stuff which generally causes kids to get into trouble for fighting.

Mtripp
5/19/2009 6:06am,
Ok.... IMHO

1. Has to be a grappling art. USA Wrestling has outstanding programs and should be your first place to look. Those are going to be free, save for AAU memberships. I would look to Judo second and BJJ last. I base that on BJJ schools letting children (under 13) choke and joint lock one another, and that is a no-no.

Wrestling around (yes, we know better) doesn't look as bad as if you kicked someone in the head or punched them in the face. Schools have a zero fighting rule, but you are allowed to hang on (clinch) so as not to get hit.

2. At the same time, you need to get some solid "bully proof" books, and work on him to learn how to get along with difficult people. I say this because while the idea of the kid who is being picked on kicking the crap out of the bully makes for a great movie, the next day when the bully comes back with Dad's gun and kills your child is not such a great ending. Terrance Webester Doyle has some exceptional books on the subject.

Finally, and I will try to be kind; take great care you do not project your childhood pain into your own child. None of us wants them to "suffer" as we did; sadly, its part of growing up.