PDA

View Full Version : I'm new and I like Muay Thai. Suggestions?

Plutopowered
5/18/2009 4:51pm,
I found this site when I googled Robson Pereira's gym and he seems to have questionable credentials. But, having taken one free class in MT he seems to know what he's talking about.

I live in eastern Pennsylvania, have about 1.5 years of Muay Thai experience from a pretty good first instructer/ gym but no longer work in that area which is about 1.15 hrs away. I was sceduled to have my first amateur fight but lost my job so I couldn't continue at the gym where I was training. I can't find a good Muay Thai instructor within 1 hour of where I live.

I'm unemployed (so cost and gas is somewhat of a factor) and currently going to a kickboxing gym but find it incredibly limiting compared to Muay Thai. No MMA and no BJJ. Still a good workout, though.

I thought about taking some other types of Martial Arts but I'm not sure what to do. Suggestions?

Here is the order of my favorites:

1. Muay Thai
2. BJJ
3. Salsa dancing
6. MMA

Here are my options:

Travel 1hr+ to a good MT gym.

Continue kickboxing until I move.

Do BJJ until I move.

Go to Team Pereira and do MT and BJJ and learn what I can despite questionable credentials...

I find it's very difficult to find good MT instruction. Everyone just wants to do MMA or BJJ.

To me, MMA is just a watered down version of MT / Boxing and BJJ. I'd rather learn MT and BJJ repectively.

Edit: Plus, where's all of the Muay Thai stuff on this site?

el dangeroso
5/18/2009 6:09pm,
If you would be more specific as to where you are located maybe I can help you find a place.

Plutopowered
5/18/2009 7:54pm,
If you would be more specific as to where you are located maybe I can help you find a place.

I'm just outside of Reading...

el dangeroso
5/18/2009 10:15pm,
Eric Utsch, who was trained by Coban, has a muay thai class on Wednesdays 6:30 to 8:30 at "The Cage" in Reading. Eric used to train the Hooligan Team and is the absolute best guy you will find in the area for muay thai. http://thecagemma.com/ It is an MMA gym but they train all of the arts seperately, so you can just do muay thai if you want. This was the first place that popped into my head, I will do some looking around and see if I can find anything else.

el dangeroso
5/18/2009 10:28pm,
By the way, The Cage has BJJ and boxing too. Mike, the BJJ instructor is very good, but I don't know anything about the quality of their boxing.
Where are you doing kickboxing at now?

Plutopowered
5/18/2009 11:27pm,
Eric Utsch, who was trained by Coban, has a muay thai class on Wednesdays 6:30 to 8:30 at "The Cage" in Reading. Eric used to train the Hooligan Team and is the absolute best guy you will find in the area for muay thai. http://thecagemma.com/ It is an MMA gym but they train all of the arts seperately, so you can just do muay thai if you want. This was the first place that popped into my head, I will do some looking around and see if I can find anything else.

I appreciate your help.

Yeah, I'm familiar with Eric. I started my training at Issinryu Karate in Allentown where Eric used to teach. I worked more with the other instructer (Chris - whom I really liked) because I was a beginner and Eric was there until he had a falling out with management? (I guess?) and left. He's still around but I'm not sure where. I think he's still in Allentown (except on Wednesdays at the cage). I got a lot from that gym and they had great instruction but I now live an hour away. I'm still tempted to make the trip.

Actually, I still have his business card and his phone # so maybe I could give him a call.

Funny you should mention the cage. I found Team Pereira while I was out looking for the cage. I stopped into the cage but I didn't really like the atmosphere. It's a decent place but I'm not into rap music, etc... Although, it's been recommended by several people. Unfortunately, Wednesday is the only day I can't train at night (when Eric's there). Maybe I could stop in again and reconsider. I know there's a couple of good fighters there as you say...

alex
5/19/2009 12:02am,
so you know theres a good coach, you know theres good fighters... but you dont like the music. Newsflash, if your excuse making ass ever gets into a muay thai fight the music gets a WHOLE FUCKING LOT WORSE so think of it as a kind of conditioning for your ears when some thai dude starts strangling a cat next to the ring and calls it music.

Plutopowered
5/19/2009 1:09am,
so you know theres a good coach, you know theres good fighters... but you dont like the music. Newsflash, if your excuse making ass ever gets into a muay thai fight the music gets a WHOLE FUCKING LOT WORSE so think of it as a kind of conditioning for your ears when some thai dude starts strangling a cat next to the ring and calls it music.

I see reading comprehension isn't your forte...

Plutopowered
5/19/2009 11:28am,
@ El Dangeroso: I forgot to ad that I go to Moyer's KB.

el dangeroso
5/19/2009 3:45pm,
I saw Moyer's was now doing kickboxing but had no idea who taught or the level. I never got around to calling and asking. Althouse Karate & Kickboxing in Fleetwood migh be a place to check out. From what I understand, their program is more of an "all rules" kickboxing where they do muay thai rules, international low kick rules and american rules kickboxing. They have a regulation size ring and their students have competed successfully in the U.S. and have gone to Greece and South Africa as well.
Irv Althouse is a friend of mine from when we used to do Karate together back in the day. He's a superb dude, but I have never trained at his school so take that for what it's worth. The number there is 610-944-5535

Plutopowered
5/24/2009 11:43pm,
I'm familiar with Irv's. I don't think Irv is teaching much there anymore. Apparently the owner of Moyers and Irv are friends and one of Moyer's student's boyfriend's teaching the classes there.

I don't think it's too much different from what I'm learning now as they do mostly the same thing. In other words, a little bit of everything.

What I'm learning now isn't bad but I was really hoping that I could find a teacher that did Muay Thai specifically. It doesn't really look like that will happen unless I move (which I'd like to do eventually anyway).

On a positive, it's been nice learning how to defend against the different kicks that kickboxers use. Not something I would have gotten from just doing Muay Thai.