PDA

View Full Version : How my career as a teacher ended...

Pages : [1] 2

crappler
5/18/2009 11:42am,
It was a sunny day in Vallejo, California. Not exactly the toughest town in the bay area, certainly nothing like Richmond, but there is a fair amount of violence. Where I taught there was a stabbing every year or so. At another school a girl set another girls' hair on fire. She ended up in my classroom and nobody every told me what she did. I found out from the kids.

So one day I'm walking out to a trailer were I have a class and I see a fight between two girls. I get in between, calm them down, and thought it was over. One teacher was taking the other student away. The aggressor had actually legally battered me several times by making contact with me in trying to get to the other girl, but I wasn't too bothered.

Then I watched as the girl I had just let go started running over to attack the other girl and the teacher from behind. She was normal height, easily over 200 pounds, fat but big.

Again, I got in between her, and again she kept bumping into me. At a certain point, I made the decision to get control of her and I grabbed her in a boxer's clinch, thinking I was strong enough to hold her. I was, but the problem was not strength. I had not ever tried that move on a shorter opponent and quickly discovered that it did not take much for her to push me off her. In fact, I never had much practice with shorter opponents and always wondered why people don't practice with people of different sizes in order to learn to adjust. I always tried to practice in the normal clothes I wear and with all sizes of opponents. At the time I was still a color belt, but had several years of training.

Anyway, I automatically reacted. I simply put her in a headlock and when she tried to wiggle out of it, I squeezed harder so she couldn't get out. Of course, that cut her air off long enough to let her know what the deal was. After struggling for a minute, she did something absolutely cunning. She acted unconscious. Of course, instead of falling face-first into the asphalt, she turned around and sat down. The kids were absolutely delighted. I recall a number of them said it was obviously fake. The girl later on bragged that she "couldn't get in a fight because she wouldn't get the money." She had a cum file a foot thick filled with fights.

Like an idiot, I wrote up a statement and when the police called me down to the office, I gave it to them, without a copy for myself. Idiot. The local Kempo teacher, who happened to be a cop, sat on my left,facing me. They knew I had training and I knew he was ready to take me out if I got crazy. Some teachers, admittedly are fucking crazy. I would NEVER fight a cop, but how they know that? Funny how you don't realize what is about to happen without the proper training.

Anyway, the cops were very cool. They didn't hook me up, didn't charge me, and basically said they agreed with what I did. I was relieved.

Two days later, I was suspended with pay and the local NAACP wanted my head on a platter. They demanded I be fired, I was in the news and people were writing editorials about me. I know a lot of people would be glad to have that time off, but I cried like a little bitch more than once. I would NEVER hurt a kid. The parents wanted to sue me. The dad of this asshole teacher I got into an argument with went after me. It is true that I have a bad temper, but I'm always in control when an altercation is about to occur and am good at defusing them. In fact, I think I'm pretty good at avoiding confrontations. If you have a problem with me, you are probably an asshole.

The problem with the Krotty training is that I wanted to use it, and I practiced it all the time. I sometimes wonder if taking Krotty put me in jeopardy. If I didn't have that training, would I have done that? Thus far, all my years of training have 1)almost got me arrested and fired and 2)got my nose broken by my drunk gf.

Anyway, I got six months off. I was vindicated. My lawyer found great witnesses. The school district backed off and gave me my job back. But I was never the same.

OH, and one of the reasons the chick could not sue me was because she ended up in jail for stealing a car.

JohnnyCache
5/18/2009 11:57am,
good post. I nominate free name change to "wayne brady" for this poster.

1point2
5/18/2009 11:57am,
This is why you see teachers next to fights, letting them rage on, not stepping in. The heat they take for not doing something is nothing compared to the heat they can take for getting involved (plus a little bad luck).

Zapruder
5/18/2009 12:08pm,
WOw, the self restraint you exhibited was amazing;ignorance + lying = me bringing the pain.

So, you dont teach anymore?

Lebell
5/18/2009 12:14pm,
that chick sounds like my kinda woman, when will she be released?

Coach Josh
5/18/2009 12:18pm,
Sorry to hear that as a fellow teacher I know how difficult it is to way the legal repercussions of doing the right thing or just letting it happen when it comes to fighting. I have been in several altercations with students and have had to apply what I know in order to defend myself or a student.

While I have been threatened with a lawsuit nothing has ever come of them. Mostly the students get expelled. I have hip tossed, knocked out and choked out several students but all in the act of self defense or stopping a fight.

The punch out was funny because the kid came up behind me and bear hugged me off the ground. I responded with an elbow to the nose and he went down.

Anyway you train to defend yourself and others and never should be remorseful for your actions. As long as you are acting in good conscience and with in the scope of reasonable force you have no reason to be upset. While the legal issues are always frustrating to deal with in its nothing to let yourself get worked up over.

Just remember to always press charges for assault when you are dealing with a student being aggressive with you. While they may be minors they are still subject to the law. If the school system threatens you then a good lawyer is going to insure you get a fair shake.

thorthe power
5/18/2009 12:39pm,
The problem with the Krotty training is that I wanted to use it, and I practiced it all the time. I sometimes wonder if taking Krotty put me in jeopardy. If I didn't have that training, would I have done that?

No...but you might not of exhibited the type of control you did i.e. not letting the bitc...er.....I mean poor child go when she was playing dead.

Tom .C
5/18/2009 12:47pm,
Sorry to hear that as a fellow teacher I know how difficult it is to way the legal repercussions of doing the right thing or just letting it happen when it comes to fighting. I have been in several altercations with students and have had to apply what I know in order to defend myself or a student.

While I have been threatened with a lawsuit nothing has ever come of them. Mostly the students get expelled. I have hip tossed, knocked out and choked out several students but all in the act of self defense or stopping a fight.

The punch out was funny because the kid came up behind me and bear hugged me off the ground. I responded with an elbow to the nose and he went down.

Anyway you train to defend yourself and others and never should be remorseful for your actions. As long as you are acting in good conscience and with in the scope of reasonable force you have no reason to be upset. While the legal issues are always frustrating to deal with in its nothing to let yourself get worked up over.

Just remember to always press charges for assault when you are dealing with a student being aggressive with you. While they may be minors they are still subject to the law. If the school system threatens you then a good lawyer is going to insure you get a fair shake.

It also helps to keep saying "stop, backoff, don't hurt me, leave me alone" etc., the whole time the involvement is going down. Witnesses will recall your plea for de-escalation of the incident and that is always helpful. They would also recall a victory dance and a "take that bitch" as well so refrain from any joyous victory celebrations untill you're away from witnesses.

It is Fake
5/18/2009 1:02pm,
Haha Crappler. Man damned if you do damned if you don't. I don't want to derail your thread but, basically, what went down with you basically ended my potential career as a teacher.

Mine was nowhere near as severe but, I could have been you. I knew it right then and decided to change my major. NAACP sheesh. I'm going to leave the rest of that alone because, I'll go on a rant that belongs on sociocide.

I enjoy controlled violence, you know, boxing, MMA, wrestling, Sanda, MY etc etc etc.

Props for teaching in the current environment. That goes for the rest of you that take/took the challenge.

illegalusername
5/18/2009 1:04pm,
I was expecting the story ending with your mom telling you to move in with your uncle and aunt in Bel Air.

cyrijl
5/18/2009 1:09pm,
At least they didn't put you in the rubber room. NPR (this american life) had this interesting story which I think takes place in New York. Basically, teachers they can't fire are forced to show up to thie building everyday and just sit. Almost like limbo.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/Radio_Episode.aspx?sched=1286
http://www.rubberroommovie.com

Meex
5/18/2009 1:13pm,
In a similar situation to yours, eight years ago,
my friend was also charged with 'fondling' by
the girl in question. He got fired by the dept of
education, arrested, and forced to spend time
in jail, until a top defense atty volunteered to
take his case.

Other kids were on his side, all witnesses said
the same thing he said, this girl also had a long
record of criminal/abusive/destructive activity,
and in the end, the girl recanted her story.

He was vindicated, won his case, and counter
suit against the doe, but, hasn't gone back to
teaching because no one will give him a shot.

The accusation was enough to deter schools
from hiring him.

`~/

It is Fake
5/18/2009 1:16pm,
^^That's the scary ****.

crappler
5/18/2009 1:19pm,
WOw, the self restraint you exhibited was amazing;ignorance + lying = me bringing the pain.

So, you dont teach anymore?

Nope. Now I'm a lawyer. I haven't been called a "bitch" in quite some time.

crappler
5/18/2009 1:30pm,

I've been pretty lucky. I put a kid in a headlock against the wall after kicking him in the stomach. Like a punk he grabbed my legs and dropped me on the cement while I was wrestling with his buddy. I squeezed him until he cried uncle. I had to take-down another kid who was hitting this innocent kid in the face with a lock.

I've honestly been very lucky. Some of these kids are very strong, fast, athletic and know how to blindside you. In Vallejo when someone surprises someone else, it is considered a fair fight.

But more than anything I've been lucky they didn't get hurt and nobody saw what I did. I can only advise people to take my advice: just don't touch the kids and do your best to use humor to defuse. Legally I have never done anything wrong, but if someone gets the wrong angle, shows up after you choked someone out, you are toast.

crappler
5/18/2009 1:31pm,
In a similar situation to yours, eight years ago,
my friend was also charged with 'fondling' by
the girl in question. He got fired by the dept of
education, arrested, and forced to spend time
in jail, until a top defense atty volunteered to
take his case.

Other kids were on his side, all witnesses said
the same thing he said, this girl also had a long
record of criminal/abusive/destructive activity,
and in the end, the girl recanted her story.

He was vindicated, won his case, and counter
suit against the doe, but, hasn't gone back to
teaching because no one will give him a shot.

The accusation was enough to deter schools
from hiring him.

`~/

That is a pretty good lawsuit. A good lawyer should sue the **** out of that district and get him enough money to replace his stolen career. My face is red after reading that.