PDA

View Full Version : Noob Question....

Exilict
5/12/2009 1:00pm,
I started training MMA after 6 years off from Martial Arts. Other then the obvious problems one has after taking 6 years off I have one specific problem that I feel is fixable but I can not find an answer...

When on the mats, my foot sweat is making me lose all traction. Even simple kicks and slides are becoming very difficult as I stand in pools of my own sweat. I assume I am not the only person in the world with this problem, a quick google search brought me to Grapple Socks : http://www.grapplesock.com/ however; they only go up to size 11, 5 sizes short of what I would need.

Is there a way to deal with this? Even when I wrapped my feet I never put tape over the balls of my feet (Where I am losing the most traction) I assume I could if needed to but have no idea if there is a proper technique to it.

Thanks
X

Matt Phillips
5/12/2009 1:08pm,
Get some thai "ankle supporters". That should do the trick.

KO'd N DOA
5/12/2009 1:14pm,
Hello Mr. E, Welcome to BS...

Hope you find what your answers. I got nothing but hello for your problesm.

Never saw the socks before...wow. Not in your size? Size 16???
I only wrapped broken toes, so I have no idea about the ball. Had some massive blisters and cracked callouses where I used "plastic Skin" to hold them together while they healed.

Good luck with it.

Exilict
5/12/2009 1:19pm,
Get some thai "ankle supporters". That should do the trick.

This is very much how I wrap my feet. From right behind the balls of my feet to the ankle's. I find myself slipping from the balls of my feet. My shin guards also cover the same area and provide little assistance.

Thank you.

ignatzami
5/12/2009 1:39pm,
This is very much how I wrap my feet. From right behind the balls of my feet to the ankle's. I find myself slipping from the balls of my feet. My shin guards also cover the same area and provide little assistance.

Thank you.

Try half-soles. You can get them at dance stores. They are fleshy colored leather "shoes" that protect the ball of your foot. They are intended to protect from wear and tear from dancing but they should do the trick in this instance.

http://www.pampos.com/Tan_Half_Sole_Lyrical_Sandal_CapezioH03.html

Matt Phillips
5/12/2009 1:44pm,
Duh, I don't know why I didn't think of this before. Cung started a trend among SanDa fighters by spraying his feet with hairspray before a match. His opponent slipped all over the place, and he did not. Everyone on the comp team at my gym does this now.