PDA

View Full Version : Austin, Texas Dojo - Anyone heard of Tony Morel Kajukenbo School?

newbie999
4/29/2009 10:05am,
Hello,

I hope I'm not posting in the wrong section, but I was wondering if anyone has trained or reviewed Tony Morel's Kajukenbo School in Austin, Texas? I did a search and didn't find much on the site.

I am interested in finally getting into martial arts as I'm finally not traveling anymore and can stick to a routine. I want a serious school. I have heard good things about Valquez Academy and Relson Gracie JJ, but only Gracie JJ is a good location for me. Tony's school is close by as well. I have not visited the school myself, but what I do know is that he charges $140 a month per type of class (I wanted straight Kaju which is only 2 times a week compared to Relson Gracie JJ for $130 a month unlimited) and $180 for unlimited which I thought was pretty high compared to Gracie JJ. I've heard that Kajukenbo schools are very hit or miss so I was wondering if anyone has opinions on this school.

Thanks

patfromlogan
4/29/2009 10:20am,
I don't know Tony Morel. Having done a few years of Kajukenbo I agree that it is hit or miss. The bar was set for me at Prof. Clarence Luna Emperado's school in HNL, which is great and does use the various martial arts in creative improvisational self defense drills.

The price seems high, though they do offer a lot of training opportunities. Some good signs at their site is that they recommend serious MMA types to get into a school that teaches gi jj, and Tony is pictured in a white belt with what looks like a BJJ brown and blue which indicates lack of ego problems.

Kajukenbo is a self defense art. If you are primarily interested in ground, it's not the place you want to be. But I'd go to the schools and check 'em out. The friendliness and atmosphere is all important.

ioda006
4/30/2009 12:10am,
that's pretty expensive. there are a lot of schools that are cheaper in Austin. I live there too. William Vandry teaches up north and his school is pretty good. Dave Thomas teaches down south. I've never been to Dave's school, but he's got some serious skill and he seems like a pretty good instructor. He's got a neat site with techniques too: http://austinjiujitsu.com/tech/

I know Vandry's school charges by the number of times a month you want to come.. I think Dave's is flat fee.

http://austinjiujitsu.com/ajj/index.html <dave
http://www.austinbjj.com/ <vandry

Dave told me grappler's domain up north is good too. I haven't been there or seen anything at all out of the school.

newbie999
4/30/2009 8:58am,
Yes, the price and the unknown about a Kaju school because they are so hit or miss makes me want to avoid it. The two schools in my area that I like so far is Relson Gracie JJ and Vasquez Academy. Both are in the area close to my work and their night classes work with my schedule plus it seems like the bullshido guys on this forum respect both schools. I don't know what Vasquez's rates are though. Price is going to be fairly big factor because it's not just me, my wife wants to get into the classes as well and she doesn't want a watered down women's only class.

1bad65
4/30/2009 9:49am,
Rudy Vasquez will give you a free workout to try the class. His prices are quite reasonable too.

And he has the same classes for men and women. There is no watered down class for women.

newbie999
4/30/2009 10:13am,
Awesome stuff. I'm going to visit Gracie JJ on Saturday and then stop by Vasquez the week after. It looks to be a tough choice though right now I like Vasquez better due to the reputation on this forum. Yup, my wife wants a real martial arts class. She used to train at a McDojo in California and absolutely hated it because they didn't let her spar! Maybe I can get her to post her experience on that McDojo later on this forum. She's a little person, but definetly has the warrior mentality for a tough school.

Btw, is this the correct website for vasquez academy?

http://vasquezacademy.tripod.com/

I was wondering because the website looked a bit outdated. Is the address on the website the correct one as well? I remember hearing that the the academy moved a couple years ago. My brother in law does website design if he is looking to redesign his website.

1bad65
4/30/2009 12:25pm,
That is the current site and address, but the pics are older ones. lol That phone number is current too.

There is plenty of sparring there. There are even a few women too with ring experience training there. You and your wife will like it.

selfcritical
4/30/2009 12:42pm,
I assume you are in South Austin?

newbie999
4/30/2009 1:04pm,
I work in South Austin. I actually live in Manor. The closer to work the better for me. I usually go to the gym right after the work as the gym is walking distance from my work. Similar deal with these martial art schools. Getting to South Austin is painless coming from Manor due to the 973 and the new SH 130.

I'm actually amazed at the amount of Bullshido members that live in Austin. Pretty alive Martial Arts community here.

1bad65
5/04/2009 10:48am,
Newbie, did you get my message?