PDA

View Full Version : The School of Traditional Ji Do Kwan

Gidi
4/29/2009 5:44am,
The School of Traditional Ji Do Kwan (http://www.jidokwan.com.au/index.html)

I used to train at this place, when I was in high school, and I can say first off they have a very good atmosphere and very low on bullshit as far as I could tell. sparring was a must for instance, but only high levels really went balls out.

The head coach, the one who teaches in Australia now, used to be a Krav Maga instructor at the anti-terrorism school in the IDF (that's where human weapon in Israel was filmed). He also incorporated a lot of Kyokushin.
And they also recommend cross-training.

anyway, all my opinions are roughly 6 years old, so things might be different.

So, what's the verdict?

Gidi
5/03/2009 6:27pm,
Not trying to resurrect a dying thread I created...
I was just surprised that no one cared to comment in YMAS on a TKD thread, specifically one where their website contains video of sparring...

Oh well... [bows out in newbie shame]

100xobm
5/03/2009 6:50pm,
I like the stick figure emblem. Especially since it appears the rightmost one has broken their leg.

I also like the retarded or 'eighties epic' poses all the masters seem to have. There is no reason all masters shouldn't pose in giant outdoor sex swings.

Siniq
5/03/2009 7:08pm,
This site apears to have been made before the internet was invented... Oh and they must relly suck in order to be a TKD school and noone is hitting the roof...

Vorpal
5/03/2009 7:15pm,
Judging from the sparring video I'd say anytime spent training there was pretty much a waste. Sorry.

Whacker
5/03/2009 8:20pm,
Judging from the sparring video I'd say anytime spent training there was pretty much a waste. Sorry.

Oh come on. Punching is so overrated!

jspeedy
5/03/2009 8:21pm,
Master Bong I used to train under that guy with his assistant Sensei Roachclips. (no, its not really that funny but I figured i'd go for it) C'mon matster bong, that's great.

What's with the headless stick men fighting in their logo? Either they were to busy training (not likely) to come up with something better or Master Bong needs to learn a new skill.

Gidi
5/04/2009 12:49pm,

well I wasn't expecting much, I would say, to me as objective as I can be, they seem better than the average TKD dojang, if only because they don't wear body armor, spar, low kick and occasionally use their hands...
Is it really that bad a place (I'm not being a dick, I'd really like to know)?

I have, however, learned quite a bit from both this site and watching unhealthy amounts of MMA. To the point that I feel confident that Judo is the right choice for me. But well, live and learn...

Vorpal
5/04/2009 1:21pm,
I've seen a lot of tkd video (and took it myself in the past). What you have there runs pretty much from average to pathetic with brief flashes of above average. To spend hours a week training someplace where the best your going to be is slightly above average in watered down TKD is a waste of time. That's only my opinion though brother so don't let it twist you up at all. You're in judo now so that's good. Much better use of your time and effort.

Gidi
5/05/2009 3:02pm,
I've seen a lot of tkd video (and took it myself in the past). What you have there runs pretty much from average to pathetic with brief flashes of above average. To spend hours a week training someplace where the best your going to be is slightly above average in watered down TKD is a waste of time. That's only my opinion though brother so don't let it twist you up at all. You're in judo now so that's good. Much better use of your time and effort.

fair enough, thanks for taking the time to give me a solid answer

Vorpal
5/05/2009 3:17pm,
You're welcome. If I make it back to Isreal anytime soon I'll PM you first and we can train.