PDA

View Full Version : Newbie from San Diego (CA, USA)

tartarus
4/27/2009 6:57pm,
Newbie from SD. Did TKD for a few years when I was younger before I realized it was lame (rules said tkd bashing=ok, right?). Did American Kenpo (Ed Parker) for a year in high school, the took a break. I'm looking for a style now; I did aikido, kendo, and iaido here at school last quarter to get a sense of principles (kendo was surprisingly less informative than iaido to me, the latter having a bit of psychology/philosophy that I found useful). This quarter I'm moving on to more serious stuff; Judo, Shorinji, and BBT from school, going to start BJJ at my church this weekend (yes, my church is awesome). Still not sure what styles to stick to; BBT is actually looking good if for nothing other than ppl are so critical of it that Ill have a lot of feedback on how to do it right and a thourough understanding of my limitations ;).

Anyway, it's nice to be on board!

karma2343
4/27/2009 7:25pm,
Hey, welcome to Bullshido, nice to see another person from the same area as me (though I don't actually live in SD, just north county). What school do you go to? Anyways, I'm not too familiar with Shorinji or BBT, but I know that you can never go wrong with Judo. BJJ is of course cool too, I have a friend who does BJJ and despite being half a foot shorter and about 30 or 40 pounds less than me who always beats me in ground work. What do you want to specifically gain from your martial arts abilities?

tartarus
4/27/2009 11:05pm,
I grew up in Poway, which is North County...ish. I was homeschooled so I went to Palomar for a bit in high school.

Right now I'm a sophomore at UCSD (yeah, not much of a move, but I am living on campus until June).

Shorinji is the popular Japanese-type Kempo, which is helping me a lot for getting better center and putting it behind my strikes right now, but it's a little hard to decipher, and I end up having to draw information out of the sensei by asking questions (not necessarily bad, but I guess I'm just used to being spoonfed info :D). BBT = Bujikan Budo Taijutsu, popular for claiming origins in ninjutsu, on which there are a lot of posts here in the Japanese arts section. I like it a lot because it cover the basics completely differently from how I've seen, whereas Shorinji philosophy feels a lot like Parker Kenpo, but it still is a hard martial art, which I feel generalizes better to movement, weapons, and multiple opponents.

For the short term, I think general fitness is a good goal (I'm not in bad shape, but I'm not in great shape either). I think I ultimately want to be able to fight/escape multiple intermediately trained and possibly armed opponents (I don't know why, that always just sticks out to me as a good goal for a martial art). So I don't think I'll take BJJ as my base style, because I don't think it would perform particularly well against multiple armed targets. Judo is fun for fitness and as a sport, but from what I've heard, it doesn't have a lot of finishing techniques (I was fighting a BJJ friend last night, and I got him on the ground in a solid hold, but was at a loss at what to do from there until a friend suggested a wrist lock, which I took from aikido) . On the other hand, the techniques are so crazy cool (:D) that it might not be hard to end a "casual" (not extermely motivated) fight pretty easily by laying the other guy on his back.

SuperGuido
4/28/2009 5:32pm,
Hey!

I'm in OC, but I grew up in San Diego. Which BBT school are you looking at?

Also, keep your eyes open for the next SoCal Throwdown. It's a meet and greet for all ages and skill levels.

HAPKO3
4/28/2009 5:49pm,
Newbie from SD. Did TKD for a few years when I was younger before I realized it was lame (rules said tkd bashing=ok, right?). Did American Kenpo (Ed Parker) for a year in high school, the took a break. I'm looking for a style now; I did aikido, kendo, and iaido here at school last quarter to get a sense of principles (kendo was surprisingly less informative than iaido to me, the latter having a bit of psychology/philosophy that I found useful). This quarter I'm moving on to more serious stuff; Judo, Shorinji, and BBT from school, going to start BJJ at my church this weekend (yes, my church is awesome). Still not sure what styles to stick to; BBT is actually looking good if for nothing other than ppl are so critical of it that Ill have a lot of feedback on how to do it right and a thourough understanding of my limitations ;).

Anyway, it's nice to be on board!

http://royharris.com/ and don't think twice about it. And forget all the ninjer bullshit.

tartarus
4/28/2009 6:30pm,
Thanks for the warm welcome!

@ SuperGuido: I'm not sure yet. If I decide on BBT, I would probably first try Bujintech (http://bujintech.homestead.com/main.html) and Bujinkan Taka-Seigi Dojo (http://btsdsd.com/), but I think I'd rather take my time and make an informed decision than choose a poor style.
SoCal throwdown sounds great; I'll make sure to be there if possible.

@Hapko3: Okay if you say so ;). I'll look into that; it's location is certainly great. I'll ask my BJJ friends this weekend to see their thoughts on that school. I'll probably end up trying everything out and deciding this summer. It certainly seems easier to find an alive BJJ school than an alive ninjer dojo, but I'd rather not give up without trying (if I try, then worst case scenario I can give more informed advice to others thinking about BBT). No matter what, I promise I won't practice anything that isn't alive; I haven't been here very long, but it's been enough to learn that.

HAPKO3
4/28/2009 6:49pm,
Save yourself the time. You will not find alive-practicing ninjas in San Diego. I've lived there for a few years, I know. There are, however, a few very legit MA schools (Roy Harris is one of them, City Boxing is another) that are tons better than any "ninja" "dojos" out there, even if ones that train alive do exist.

HAPKO3
4/28/2009 6:52pm,
Basically, it comes down to this: If you want to dress in silly toe-socks and live-action role-play being a ninja, be my guest and look. If, however, you want to learn how to fight, go to Roy Harris and not think twice about it.

City Boxing seems to have gone down hill since I was there, by the way. May not be the best place to start...

SuperGuido
4/28/2009 8:49pm,
Roy Harris runs a great school, but the classes are primarily run by lower ranks.

If you're looking into BJJ, I would highly recommend Odie Neto's school.

www.netoacademy.com

tartarus
4/28/2009 10:16pm,
Well I just came back from a BBT class...I got paired with one of the more senior students (which is unfortunately rare), and I tried resisting a bit during the kata and I could slip out at essentially any point. It's amazing how much a few articles on bullshido and a fresh perspective change things (this was my first class since I found this site). So...yeah...maybe not BBT...I'm not really the thesbian type.

Thanks for the school suggestions. I think I'll try the Harris school first, since it's a lot closer (almost walking distance from UCSD) and Neto is across town. I'll try to check it out as soon as I can.

Although I may miss the toe socks :P

karma2343
4/29/2009 12:37am,
Oh UCSD, funny because thats where my sister is going next semester.

Thats a good, but unpredictable goal for a martial artist. Its hard because you never know how strong someone is. The other week I went to a fight club (basically unofficial boxing tournament though, we even used gloves) and after sparring some of the guys there, a couple who were just street brawlers, I realized that even with proper training it can be very hard to keep up with someone who is naturally gifted. So don't underestimate what a couple untrained opponents can do against you, because some people are naturally just good brawlers.

When it comes to Judo, it does have finishing moves in a real fight. In practice, you are throwing a person who knows how to fall properly so they don't hurt themselves on a heavily padded matt. If you ever had to use it in self-defense, you are throwing a guy who probably isn't trained in how to fall properly onto the concrete... sounds like a good finishing move to me ;)

Another style good for practical self-defense is Sambo, though I'm not too sure if there are any schools down there in San Diego.

SuperGuido: Is there any more information about the upcoming SoCal Throwdown?

SuperGuido
4/29/2009 12:50pm,
Follow this thread:
http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=83541&page=3

Nothing set yet, but we're working on it.