PDA

View Full Version : Yet another newbie Introduction

Seidaku
4/21/2009 4:01pm,
Greetings all,

A friend (and far more experienced martial artist) has been an avid Bullshido participant for years, so I figured I'd finally get involved.

About me:

I spent several years doing ITF Taekwondo at a school that, while I still think was a cut above your average McDojo, believed firmly in point fighting rather than full contact sparring. The general consensus there was that bagwork and one-steps would develop the tools, and point sparring would develop the fighting ability. I disagreed, grew disenfranchised with this mentality, and began trying to find training elsewhere. I found a local Kyokushin dojo, and I haven't looked back.

I've been training kyokushin for about six months, and just participated in my first knockdown tournament (albeit semi-contact) last Saturday. This experienced has convinced me that, indeed, not to hit is not to teach, and I'm happy to be in a place where I can finally start learning.

Osu!

cyrijl
4/21/2009 4:16pm,
just participated in my first knockdown tournament (albeit semi-contact)How is it a knockdown tournament with semi-contact? I don't mean it in a jerk way. Can you please explain?

Seidaku
4/21/2009 4:28pm,
How is it a knockdown tournament with semi-contact? I don't mean it in a jerk way. Can you please explain?

We got to wear cotton pads on our hands and shins, and were not allowed to kick to the head. Otherwise, it had the same rules as the full contact knockdown.

cyrijl
4/22/2009 7:48am,
Can you punch to the head?

Seidaku
4/22/2009 9:48am,
Can you punch to the head?

No, it was traditional knockdown karate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knockdown_karate#Knockdown_karate). Because full contact is bare knuckle, face punching is disallowed due to its propensity to cause injury. Even though semi contact has hand pads, we used the same rule set; semi-contact is supposed to be a lead into full contact, after all.