PDA

View Full Version : Misadventures with Master Cho

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Karritto
4/15/2009 11:38am,
...Or My Misadventures with Master Cho...

I don't know if this thread belongs in this forum, but I have to comment on this guy. I am a college student at Ohio University and signed upf or tae kwon do as a physical ellective amongst my other classes. It's taught by this guy called Mun-ho Cho. He also runs a tae kwon do school near my house.

Anyway, he's met me before and knows I do karate. Several times in the class he's got on my about my kicks. Granted, my kicking sucks I know. I'm trying to improve them. But today after class, he pulled me aside asking me about my school. He said you practiced karate for how long and what has it done for you (referring to my feet and hips nto turning enough when I kick). He also asked me why I pay $40 a month there and then $60 to box at another place and then went on about trying me to think about going to his school twice a week.

I told him I didn't agree with charging students a lump sum for belt testing. Then he went on saying he didn't think I udnerstand about belts nor real cirtificates. The fact is I do understand more than he realizes and I have a certificate from Shuri-ryu.

Right now I feel deeply insulted. If anyone should be to blame for my kicking, it's myself for not practicing with them as much as I should. I felt Master Cho had no right to insult my school when I was taking his class for college credit, not at his McDojang. I can't join a school that charegs an arm and a leg for testing. It goes against my principles, just as insulting a school in a college class.

Cougar Spirit
4/15/2009 11:45am,
Karritto,

You hit the nail on the head. If you are going to train in more than one class/club, then your technique is open for critque. Even if it is from a guy like Cho. Take the comment witha grain of salt, and determine for yourself if your skills need adjustment or better coaching, etc. Sure, he is trying to rope you in as a student. You must not be that bad or he wouldn't be interested.

Karritto
4/15/2009 11:53am,
Karritto,

You hit the nail on the head. If you are going to train in more than one class/club, then your technique is open for critque. Even if it is from a guy like Cho. Take the comment witha grain of salt, and determine for yourself if your skills need adjustment or better coaching, etc. Sure, he is trying to rope you in as a student. You must not be that bad or he wouldn't be interested.

I have. There is a karate sensei at the place I box. He's going to start working with me on my technique. But you may be right that I'm not all that bad. I tend to be my worst critic. Still, I'll try not to get so passionate with this guy.

jnp
4/15/2009 12:00pm,
This is definitely the wrong forum. Are you investigating this man's martial art teaching practices? No?

Well then, you have insulted us by not bothering to read the forum descriptions. Anecdotes belong in YMAS. Full fledged investigations belong in this forum, MABS.

You've been here two years. That's long enough to read the forum descriptions.

Snake Plissken
4/15/2009 12:00pm,
The man is trying to drum up business, pure and simple.

Bear in mind the mechanics of the techniques are going to be a bit different between your karate and his tae kwon do.

Karritto
4/15/2009 12:08pm,
This is definitely the wrong forum. Are you investigating this man's martial art teaching practices? No?

Well then, you have insulted us by not bothering to read the forum descriptions. Anecdotes belong in YMAS. Full fledged investigations belong in this forum, MABS.

You've been here two years. That's long enough to read the forum descriptions.

I posted the thread in the correct forum. feel free to delete this.

Phrost
4/15/2009 12:09pm,
Moved to YMAS. If ever in doubt, YMAS.

jnp
4/15/2009 1:06pm,
From the forum header:

The official forum for Bullshido. SERIOUS discussion on McDojos, questionable Martial Artists, and Martial Arts History only. Help us fight fraud in the Martial Arts by contributing well-thought-out threads and ideas on the subject.

I posted the thread in the correct forum.
I disagree. Your thread is fine, but it's not MABS material.

feel free to delete this.
Phrost doesn't do that, so we don't either.

Bear in mind, I'm an asshole about the rules here. That doesn't mean I'm wrong however. It just means I'm unintentionally a dick about it.

Karritto
4/15/2009 1:18pm,
From the forum header:

I disagree. Your thread is fine, but it's not MABS material.

Phrost doesn't do that, so we don't either.

Bear in mind, I'm an asshole about the rules here. That doesn't mean I'm wrong however. It just means I'm unintentionally a dick about it.

I meant correct as in that I reposted it intot he YMAS forum shortly before it was moved there from the other one.

Snake Plissken
4/15/2009 1:23pm,
If you ever have a situation where you inadvertently post in the wrong forum, Staff will move it to the appropriate forum, so no need to repost.

If you notice the mispost, click the "Report Post" icon and explain.

If someone else notices, they may click it for you.

If Staff notices, they will make it a point to inform you of the mistake to ensure it doesn't become habitual.

Back on topic:

Have the Karate guy critique your abilities and if you trust him, take his word and ride out the semester with the TKD guy.

Perhaps you can compile you class experience, visit his dojang and do a proper review on him and his school.

Karritto
4/15/2009 1:37pm,
Now that might be a novel idea. The funny thing is, that I live a street a way from his dojang. I could pretend to be interested and say I want to sit in and watch a class ot two. That might give me a chance to see what Cho is all about away from teachign college classes. Otherwise, I will just go with the flow.

The onegood thing out of that class are the stretches I learned.

Snake Plissken
4/15/2009 1:40pm,
Now that might be a novel idea. The funny thing is, that I live a street a way from his dojang. I could pretend to be interested and say I want to sit in and watch a class ot two. That might give me a chance to see what Cho is all about away from teachign college classes. Otherwise, I will just go with the flow.

The onegood thing out of that class are the stretches I learned.

Tell him:

After listening to your critique and suggestions......

......I would like to participate in a free class or two to see how things are done here and decide if I want to change styles. Use the free classes and classroom experience and produce a nice write-up.

Read a few of the other "Investigatory Threads" to see a suggested style of class review and post it up.

Good luck and after all is said and done, enjoy your time.

Matt Phillips
4/15/2009 1:50pm,
I am the only one who sees an ethical problem with Cho soliciting business while he is acting as a representitve of the University? That would be like a Molbio professor telling his students to use a new drug from a company whose board he sat on. Its wrong.

jnp
4/15/2009 1:53pm,
I meant correct as in that I reposted it intot he YMAS forum shortly before it was moved there from the other one.
Oh. *stares blithely at the screen*

Did I mention I was an asshole?

Snake Plissken
4/15/2009 1:57pm,
I am the only one who sees an ethical problem with Cho soliciting business while he is acting as a representitve of the University? That would be like a Molbio professor telling his students to use a new drug from a company whose board he sat on. Its wrong.

Well, similar but different.

The University would "profit" from having one of their faculty rep the Uni as a board member.

In this case, it is pretty much expected for this clown to rep his school. I figure he probably is getting the University minimum in exchange for his weekly promotion.

Gbemi
4/15/2009 2:17pm,
To the OP

If you practice Shuri Ryu, I can't imagine your kicks looking anything like what a TKD instructor expects of his students. They are different philosophies of kicking. If YOU want to kick high, and kick often, then that is a personal choice of yours. But if your Shuri ryu is what I think it is, you should NOT be made to feel inadequate especially since your style intentionally has less, and lower kicks.

As a person who does karate and box, how do you find Master Cho's punching technique? His guard? Poor, okay, excellent? If poor or okay, did you have an overriding desire to recruit him to your boxing gym?

I'm not saying don't give the guy a chance. Just don't feel like you have to because he made you feel inadequate re: kicking.