PDA

View Full Version : new

abyss
4/14/2009 9:01pm,
i was told to introduce my self here... hello...
martial arts background : wing chun (four years), shotokan karate (brown belt) and a year ago i started at a new dojo northern karate (advance blue belt)...
actually i stumbled upon this forum because i am looking to switch dojos...
i live in the toronto area..

does anyone have advice or know of a good karate dojo?

AeroChica
4/14/2009 9:07pm,
Welcome to Bullshido!

Lots of folks here are familiar with the Toronto MA scene. If you give us an idea of what your training goals are (fitness, self defence, etc) and a more precise location, someone might be able to advise you.

If you are interested in getting an opinion on a specfic school, post their website here and someone can have a boo at it for you.

Cheers!

abyss
4/14/2009 9:13pm,
i am interested in traditional training in okinawian karate... i am not a fan of shotokan..
i go to york university and live up around the area... but i don't mind traveling for a good dojo to train at..

northern karate is an example of what i'm not looking for... i think it is too contemporary.. for my taste..

jspeedy
4/14/2009 9:44pm,
For god's sake don't start a thread about how you want to find a goosd style to mix with your 4 yrs of WC. That being said welcome! I stumbled upon this web site a while ago myself and my martial arts opinions have drastically changed. Partially on my own accord from what i've personally witnessed over time, and the outrageous (somewhat) but informed opinions of those on this website.

2groggy
4/14/2009 10:19pm,
i am interested in traditional training in okinawian karate... i am not a fan of shotokan..
i go to york university and live up around the area... but i don't mind traveling for a good dojo to train at..

northern karate is an example of what i'm not looking for... i think it is too contemporary.. for my taste..
Hey Abyss - you found Newbietown. Welcome.

Being a recovering karate-ka, I can see understand jaded views of martial arts chains. I train at an MMA dojo now, but there are a couple of Goju Ryu BBs that train there and at a karate dojo up in Richmond Hill. I'll ask them at the next BJJ or MT class when I see them. Give me a week to get back to you.

It ins't karate, but there are a lot of York U students at the MMA club. You can check it out at www.revmma.com (http://www.revmma.com). Or drop by the club at Clark & Dufferin.

ZenOfAnger
4/14/2009 10:27pm,
Welcome to bullshido! Just chiming in to say hello and to wish you the best of luck with training. If you are not familiar with bullshido, I recommend you watch the videos in this thread here:
Matt Thornton: Words of Wisdom. A.K.A How to Train Martial Arts - No BS Martial Arts (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=80596)

They will give a good idea of what to expect from people once you leave the comfort of newbietown.

Hope you enjoy your stay.

ZoA.