PDA

View Full Version : Surprising experience viewing TMA in aliveness.

AAAhmed46
4/11/2009 11:44pm,
Last week i just went to a tournament, and it had Gi and no gi BJJ, Muay thai, san shou and pankration. Beside that it also had touch karate, forms competitions.

Alot of the forms competors would do their forms, then change clothes and do san shou. I was surprised. They held their own pretty good as well, karateka and kung-fu guys.

Many rolled as well.

EDIT: I did novice no gi jujutsu, and rolled with atleast two guys with TKD written on their shirts.

I remember in highschool clubs that never did anything full contact were now doing san shou, and did surprisingly well.

Whats my point?

Nothing really, just that i saw a school once strictly not used to alive training making the aliveness jump. And it made me happy to see that. I see open and accepted cross training.

Maybe this is the death of point fighting we are witnessing now? What is the jump in popularity of san shou that has done this to kung-fu?

Goju - Joe
4/11/2009 11:46pm,
There's nothing wrong with point fighting as long as it doesn't become your only fighting.

TMA's can add with out subtracting.

AAAhmed46
4/11/2009 11:49pm,
Agreed.

Nothing wrong with anyone doing only point fighting. But the same clubs are now atleast giving students the option to do something other then point fighting without ostrisizing them.(yeah my spelling)

ZenOfAnger
4/11/2009 11:56pm,
It's nice to hear that more TMAers are going the aliveness route, but still keeping their art intact without going all-out and jumping on the MMA bandwagon. I hope to hear about more TMA schools and students stepping up and taking that big jump off the dead pattern diving board and creating big splashes and waves of aliveness in the pool of competition.

Best wishes to all,

ZoA.

v1y
4/12/2009 8:12am,
i honestly want to know who these people are that do forms and then look at sparring and say to themselves, "yeah i really don't have any interest in that whatsoever".

Goju - Joe
4/12/2009 8:25am,
i honestly want to know who these people are that do forms and then look at sparring and say to themselves, "yeah i really don't have any interest in that whatsoever".

Sparring hurts and is often frusterating

JohnnyCache
4/12/2009 12:08pm,
man I think I'm going to dig out old TKD t-shirts to wear to grappling comps just to make people underestimate me.

Demon Eyes
4/12/2009 12:42pm,
Well, this just made my day better. I hope to see such change in all TMA schools.

The Fake Macoy
4/12/2009 1:20pm,
man I think I'm going to dig out old TKD t-shirts to wear to grappling comps just to make people underestimate me.
That would probably work pretty well. I wonder if other people have tried similar tactics.

RaiNnyX4
4/12/2009 1:39pm,
Nothing wrong with point fighting as long as it looks like this:

YouTube - THIS IS KARATE ~ 空手 ~ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcCNsxs9Ovw)