PDA

View Full Version : Noob question about bjj instructors

Pages : [1] 2

Keyboardsamurai
4/09/2009 8:21am,
I was wondering if in most bjj schools the head instructor teaches most of the classes. I've only been to one school and most of the time the white belt classes were taught by a purple belt.

Now I'm in the advanced classes and it is being taught by a blue belt (the instructor with the purple belt left for another school because he said he wasn't learning anything in the school he was teaching).

The head instructor has a black belt in bjj. He comes in every once in a while and gives out tips on how to do a certain move in a different way. Besides that I remember him teaching an entire class only a few times.

Libertad
4/09/2009 9:12am,
Now I'm in the advanced classes and it is being taught by a blue belt (the instructor with the purple belt left for another school because he said he wasn't learning anything in the school he was teaching).

I don't mean to offend you or your school, but if a blue belt is teaching the advanced class, find a new school. At my club our head instructor takes every class.

How long have you been training Jiu Jitsu?

Keyboardsamurai
4/09/2009 9:19am,
I've been doing it for about a year. No offense taken, I asked this question because I am planning to go to another school once my contract is up but I was just wondering if I was going to find the same thing in other schools.

Libertad
4/09/2009 9:43am,
I was just wondering if I was going to find the same thing in other schools.

No way, I train at Gracie Barra, the classes are taken by our back belt instructor and there are always purples and browns that help out.

How do you find the blue belts teaching ability / rolling ability?
How do you guys go in competitions?

lionknight
4/09/2009 10:13am,
If it's a big school then I could understand a purple or brown teaching the beginner class (or even a really good blue); but if you are in the "advanced class" and a blue belt is teaching then something is wrong.

Most BB instructors that I know have a much more hands on approach to teaching and making sure their students are getting the necessary instruction/skills so that they reflect well on the school.

How much more time do you have on your contract?

What school is it that you currently attend?

If you don't want to answer that then at least say where you are located and I'm sure other options can be found.

jnp
4/09/2009 10:28am,
I was wondering if in most bjj schools the head instructor teaches most of the classes. I've only been to one school and most of the time the white belt classes were taught by a purple belt.

The head instructor has a black belt in bjj. He comes in every once in a while and gives out tips on how to do a certain move in a different way. Besides that I remember him teaching an entire class only a few times.
That is not right. Advanced classes should be taught by a brown belt minimum in my opinion.

Vorpal
4/09/2009 11:06am,
Classes at my school are taught by BBs.

omoplatypus
4/09/2009 11:08am,
agree with above. i see no problem with purple and browns teaching the beginners. most of my instruction has come from purple belts, but i would be very uncomfortable taking advanced classes (i'm assuming advanced means blue and higher?) from anybody lower than a brown. maybe, a purple with a kick ass tournament record, but that would have to be one hell of a record.

ippon013
4/09/2009 11:48am,
The lowest rank we have the instructs is a brown belt. And he teaches the kiddies class.

Keyboardsamurai
4/09/2009 3:28pm,
Cool, nice to know I shouldn't be expecting this at the next school I go to. I believe many of the students there left because they wanted black belt training and weren't getting it.

morantheman
4/09/2009 11:01pm,
at the college i go to i take bjj some semesters and the instructors are both purple belts (one was a blue belt last year but has since picked up purple) i didnt mind for 2 reasons, I was a brand new white belt and he was teaching the same armbar that a black belt would teach etc. and more importantly he could explain himself very well. i really liked the way he taught. I still go to club now and then where he coteaches, but the accademy I go to (which is an hour away) the classes...and I mean the kids classes, the beginner classes, the advanced classes and even the mma and kickboxing class is all taught by the school owner who is a black belt.

I dont see any thing wrong with a good blue belt teaching kids or beginners, but once you hit that intermediate level, you would expect to be getting attention from a black belt or a really good brown belt. I mean, if the internediate class is taught by a blue belt...who the hell are the intermediate students? white belts??? I dont think so.

Madcap8
4/10/2009 11:42pm,
I think i would switch at that point, I'd rather train under a BB instructor in newaza than bjj a blue belt

JKDChick
4/10/2009 11:47pm,
Just to Devil's Advocate this, what if the blue belt is an AWESOME instructor with great techinque and the Black Belt is just a really good fighter who can't teach?

Cause I started learning from a blue belt (now black) who could teach and knew his **** and in 2 years, he turned a fat 30 year old white chick into someone that Rorian Gracie stopped at a tournament to complement on her last fight.

I would rather learn from a good teacher than someone who can't articulate what they want more than one way. I just had a guy at my archery range barking at me for 20 minutes about something I was doing and could not grasp that he wasn't making an sense to me. This is counter productive in instructors.

Keyboardsamurai
4/11/2009 10:35am,
I actually just spoke to someone that goes to a club that I'm looking into after my contract is over with my current one. The classes are always taught by a black belt (Jorge "Macaco" Patino) so I am really looking forward to that.

And to JKDChick, I definitely wish that were the case but the black belt has never spoken about any experience in competitions and when grappling tournaments come up I have never seen him go coach his guys.

The blue belt instructor started a few months before I did and has only been to two competitions that I know of but definitely isn't close to the blue belt you speak of.

v1y
4/11/2009 10:44am,
a blue belt can for sure teach absolute beginners... but not an advanced class.

FLMKane
4/11/2009 12:45pm,
Lets clarify something here. A blue belt who has been competing for the last 8 years can teach noobs?