PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice,Judo,MMA,Karate,just not Aikido.

Pages : [1] 2 3

KingSakana
4/08/2009 12:46am,
I didn't know were to post this so Newbie Town was the first thing to come to mind. I need some advice, I've been practicing Aikido for two months now and putting the hours in, even sparring with my sisters boyfriend whos in the marines. I was hoping i found what i was looking for, but I've run into a brick wall. My background is Rugby which i've been playing since i was 16,(im 21 now). I spend three times a week at gym for three hours. I've found my Aikido techniques to not be useful, since i had to make alot of corrections when i was sparring. Im currently looking into BJJ, Muay Thai, Kyokushin Karate, judo or JuJutsu traditional, (but havent been successful in the traditional japanese ma department) my father was a Judo man. Any advice would helpful and much appreciated, also is working on my chi helpful:ninja7:?

Marcusn
4/08/2009 10:14am,
I believe it all depends on what you want to work on since most of those differ in what their main focus are. And it also depends on whether the gyms near you teach those well.

I'm new as well and though there are many different MA gyms/dojos in my area, I've narrowed it down to very few that work both with my schedule and seem checking out.

That being said, what exactly are you looking for?

SBG-ape
4/08/2009 10:33am,
Japanese Jujutsu is way to variable in terms of quality & emphasis to make any sort of guess about. For that reason alone I'd say steer clear until you have enough functional training to be able to quickly evaluate what's there.

Judo will help your Rugby game. You'll get a lot of useful stuff on throwing people around & making them fall down. You'll also get how to hold people down, choke them & bend their arms the wrong way. All fun stuff.

BJJ will usually give you a more complete understanding of how to roll people around on the floor & twist them into pretzels but won't help your takedowns much. If you've got a good rugby tackle that may be fine.

The other 2 arts will teach you how to hit people really hard, along with other fun tricks.

The question is what do you want to learn & what do you want to learn first?

DarkAardvark
4/08/2009 11:32am,
it really depends on what you want out of it.

if you want to do some sort of mma competing, id say do judo, bjj, and MT/Kyokushin.
you'll get the striking, takedowns, and grappling.

i dont know much about kyokushin karate, so im not going to talk about that

the japanese jujitsu really depends on the school. i do budoshin jujitsu, which is pretty much judo. it has all of the same throws, techniques, etc and it has some basic grappling. i cant speak for every other school, so youd really have to check out what they do (and make sure its not a mcdojo that focuses on respect, kata, etc.). they tried to teach some strange striking with weird poses and stances, but i just ignored it because it was awkward and stupid.

if you want to lose weight or get in shape, bjj is probably the best. it really depends on what you do in the school, but i find bjj to be more intense when sparring than MT or the japanese jujitsu place i go to. again, it varies from school to school and it depends on how intense you are when training.

id say that judo will probably help you in rugby because youd get better balance and get better at taking people down and seeing how the body works. as for the others, how often are you going to be kicking people or grappling with them during a game? lol

self defense wise, id say any of them would work. i dont want to get into the whole "which is better" debate because its pointless. but against the average joe, a month of training in any of the above can help tremendously.

again, it all depends on what you want to do with it, what you expect out of it, and how seriously you train. try seeing if you can sit through a couple of classes or have a trial class and see what you like.

personally, id say do them all if you can. crosstraining is the tits.

there may be some places near you in the dojo review area.
Reviews - No BS Martial Arts (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)

Tips: (there should be a post on how to tell if its a mcdojo, but i cant find it)
- look for a place that has higher ranking people who actively compete.
- if they brag about having 80 blackbelts in all sorts of MAs, dont take them too seriously.
- are the higher ranking people sloppy at what they do?
- do they spar? what kind of sparring? point sparring is for sissies
- is the place clean / safe? ringworm is not fun
- if they brag about having 80 blackbelts in all sorts of MAs, dont take them too seriously.
- find out what it takes to get to the next rank (ex: being there for a few months, simply knowing the names of moves, needing to compete, etc)
- are there any 10 year old black belts?
- ask them about pricing. if they are trying to be shady or force you to pay for a year at a time, politely walk away. its better to pay for a month of something you arent sure about than to jump in with a year
- most importantly, if it seems like a cult, it probably is:eatbaby:

if i forgot anything or messed up somewhere, feel free to correct me.

JohnnyCache
4/08/2009 11:37am,
Judo is cheap and fun and it works. Judo is the science of putting people on the ground, underneath you, from a clinch. Clinches are very common in real fights and in rugby too IIRC.

Bjj is effectively very specialized judo - almost exclusively groundfighting. Great workout, useful martial art, probably the single best way to learn to win a one-on-one fight.

MMA should combine modern grappling - elements of BJJ and judo taught with no gi - and simple, effective striking. It's the best art to learn to fight and the best to learn a variety. It tends to be expensive, the clubs tend to focus on turning out ring fighters, and there tends to be daily or bi-daily hard sparring and wrestling. If you're used to the level of contact in rugby, that probably won't bother you, but some people consider it a con (wusses)

muay thai is a hard contact kickboxing sport with a structure very like conventional boxing or MMA - your "rank" is basically your fight record, the art is taught with few traditional trappings. Ring contact is very hard, workouts consist of hells of pad work, mitt work, drilling - like boxing it will build footwork and head movement. it also involves some clinch work, knees, elbows, and probably the most powerful kicking of any martial art. If I had to name the cons to muay thai I'd say one would be that if don't intend to fight seriously you might get less attention and another might be the handwork lagging a bit behind western boxing (to be expected since time is spent on other things). Many american muay thai schools borrow more from boxing, though.

"karate" and japanese jiujitsu are problematic because of the varience in individual clubs. They don't have the quality control that a BJJ school or judo club have, and their reputation isn't built on their competition record the way an MMA club is, so they can very a lot. The best advice there is to try a few classes and see

1) Do you like it
2) Is it alive? (if you don't know the meaning of this term there's a faq on here or google)
3) Is it consistent with my goals (self defense, sports, excercise, all of the above, etc)

Ryno
4/08/2009 12:58pm,
Do Judo. It has the greatest transferrable and applicable skillset to other martial arts and sports.

Matt Phillips
4/08/2009 1:04pm,
Look for Combat SAMBO or SanDa/San Shou. Both integrate striking and grappling. The former will also give you a sub grappling game, and the latter will give you a no-gi throwing game. The stand up in both arts is comparable to muay Thai.

These arts can be harder to find than some, but look for them. If there is nothing around, Judo or Boxing are both cheap and common.

KingSakana
4/08/2009 1:26pm,
Sorry about that, should have been more clear on why and what i would like to train in( I was hit by the blinding light that Aikido was not for me, it was warm and made me fuzzy inside). I'm not looking for Martial Arts that can be a form of cross training for rugby, they are two different beasts and I'm taking a break from rugby. I'm not going into Martial Arts because I need to learn how to fight cause bullies are beating me up, honestly the best fight is the one that doesn't happen(too many dumb ass people with knives and guns today, if you think your some kind of bullet proof,indestructable Rambo your wrong). What im looking for is something thats fun, enjoyable and is practical. Being in sports, I have nothing wrong with tournaments sparring and any form of aliveness, these I believe are crucial aspects of Ma. On the flip side nothings better than testing ones limits and hard training goes a long way in building character. One thing i'm not looking for is another McDojo, I had a bad experience when i was younger with the ATA. Awaiting further advice and thanks for the help.

narmer65
4/08/2009 2:20pm,
Since you where initially attracted to Aikido, I think you will enjoy either Judo or BJJ. Look for Judo and BJJ schools in your area, try them both out and decide. If you can't decide, crosstrain :)

KingSakana
4/08/2009 2:54pm,
Just a bit of something extra even though I prefer not to fight, having a good practical self defence couldnt hurt. I also found a Russian martial by the name Systema, if anyone has any details on this fighting system or practiced it, it would be great hearing from you. I'm taking my time in shopping around for a good dojo. Thanks, there is some BJJ schools in my area and not so much Judo, which im going to visit. Not really limiting myself to one style, I find that if your too much in a rush to find a school, thats when you get caught by contracts and shady places.

Matt Phillips
4/08/2009 3:01pm,
I need to learn how to fight cause bullies are beating me up, honestly the best fight is the one that doesn't happen(too many dumb ass people with knives and guns today, if you think your some kind of bullet proof,indestructable Rambo your wrong). What im looking for is something thats fun, enjoyable and is practical. Being in sports, I have nothing wrong with tournaments sparring and any form of aliveness, these I believe are crucial aspects of Ma. On the flip side nothings better than testing ones limits and hard training goes a long way in building character. One thing i'm not looking for is another McDojo, I had a bad experience when i was younger with the ATA. Awaiting further advice and thanks for the help.
Combat SAMBO is your best bet IMHO.

Urban Achiever
4/08/2009 3:01pm,
What im looking for is something thats fun, enjoyable and is practical. Being in sports, I have nothing wrong with tournaments sparring and any form of aliveness, these I believe are crucial aspects of Ma.

Kyokushin will give you all these things. It is one of the very few styles of Karate that have not been infected with McDojoism.

KingSakana
4/08/2009 3:19pm,
Combat SAMBO is your best bet IMHO.
Combat Sambo, I heard a little about that system, its a Russian form of martial arts?

Kyokushin will give you all these things. It is one of the very few styles of Karate that have not been infected with McDojoism.
Yeah i'm trying to stay clear of one year contracts and $1200 contracts. The closet Kyokushin dojo i could find is a 35 min. drive away but theres a Goju Ryu place closer.
I'm not looking forward to spending alot of time researching and visiting places, but it has to be done( I'd rather hit the mat as soon as possible).

reindo
4/08/2009 3:19pm,
Judo, Kyokushin Karate, BJJ, MT, SAMBO will all give you what you really want.
stay away from SYSTEMA at least this is my opinion on the subject.

KingSakana
4/08/2009 3:27pm,
Judo, Kyokushin Karate, BJJ, MT, SAMBO will all give you what you really want.
stay away from SYSTEMA at least this is my opinion on the subject.
How so?

Urban Achiever
4/08/2009 3:44pm,
Yeah i'm trying to stay clear of one year contracts and $1200 contracts. The closet Kyokushin dojo i could find is a 35 min. drive away but theres a Goju Ryu place closer.
I'm not looking forward to spending alot of time researching and visiting places, but it has to be done( I'd rather hit the mat as soon as possible).

Drive distance is very important. I can give you a good example. My Kyokushin dojo is $55 a month with no contract. It is pay as you go. I drive 30 minutes to take classes and I think it is worth it. Good luck in your search. Stick with Bullshido. These are the few people that will give you an honest answer.