PDA

View Full Version : Ninjas > Army Special Forces

Pages : [1] 2

Wounded Ronin
4/07/2009 10:12pm,
Here is an exerpt from the most visceral and amazing Vietnam War history I've ever read, "SOG: The Secret Wars of America's Commandos In Vietnam", by famous author John L. Plaster.

But these incentives could not explain what had happened in the case of Master Sergeants Sam Almendariz and Robert Sullivan.

In mid-July 1967, they, along with Sergeant First Class Harry Brown and five Nungs, were on a recon mission near Laotian Highway 922, about 60 miles due west of Hue, when they were ambushed--not by men firing weapons but NVA who leaped out of nowhere. One NVA wrestled Sullivan's CAR 15 away from him, shot him dead, spun around and shot the team's One-Two, Brown, through the shoulder, even as another NVA shot Almendariz dead.
...what happened to Almendariz and Sullivan...was the subject of much post-action review. They had not been bushwhacked by typical NVA, not even combat-seasoned NVA; no, the ambushers were superbly camouflaged, flashed out of nowhere like ninjas, employed martial arts and tried to take at least one American alive...SOG men had never before encountered NVA quite like these.

Anyway, how ballsy and crazy is that, where when you're ambushing a special forces team, your move of choice is not just to shoot from the bushes, but to actually run up, engage in unarmed hand to hand combat so you can grab his rifle again, and then actually succeed in doing some damage through that tactic?

Insert ninja vs. firearms joke here.

Holy Moment
4/07/2009 10:25pm,
I remember Scott Morris tried the ambush method. Only for him, it kind of worked out like Hawkman trying to fight a villain after he lands.

DunkelAnanas
4/07/2009 10:52pm,
It wasn't a ninja. It was obviously a soviet clone of Gene Lebell.

IMightBeWrong
4/07/2009 11:17pm,
It wasn't actually viet ninjas, that just what the government wants people to believe. It was a group of aliens with skin harder than steel that aligned itself with vietnam during the war because they hated our freedom.

Wounded Ronin
4/08/2009 7:56pm,
It wasn't actually viet ninjas, that just what the government wants people to believe. It was a group of aliens with skin harder than steel that aligned itself with vietnam during the war because they hated our freedom.

I thought it was hippies who morphed into uber ninjas because they dabbled in eastern religion back in the US.

JP
4/08/2009 8:03pm,
I remember Scott Morris tried the ambush method. Only for him, it kind of worked out like Hawkman trying to fight a villain after he lands.

I think, if possible, you just geeked up this thread even more.

Holy Moment
4/08/2009 8:33pm,
I think, if possible, you just geeked up this thread even more.

I don't think so. Hawkman isn't as geeky as ninjas, and I know that because no one actually thinks that they're Hawkman but some people think that they're ninjas.

Hawkman fights about as well as a ninja, though.

laevus
4/09/2009 1:54pm,
I don't think so. Hawkman isn't as geeky as ninjas, and I know that because no one actually thinks that they're Hawkman but some people think that they're ninjas.

Hawkman > Multiple ninjas
Single ninja > Hawkman

DunkelAnanas
4/09/2009 2:29pm,

Obviously no one thinks they are Hawkman.

Birdman, on the other hand....
YouTube - Hanna-Barbera's Birdman (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4utKWsS52I8)

Wounded Ronin
4/12/2009 12:22am,
So who would win in a fight? Birdman or Army Special Forces?

Gezere
4/12/2009 3:34am,

This depends on which Hawkman you're talking about?
Carter Hall
Katar Hol (spy)
Katar Hol (Hawkgod spirit avatar thingy)
Carter Hall (back again an a mess of all Hawkies before him)

Kuma
4/12/2009 10:29am,
Birdman > Hawkman.

Birdman could sue everyone afterwards. All Hawkman had was Dyno-Mutt.

http://blog.capcom.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/harvey.jpg

My bad. I was actually thinking of the Blue Falcon.

Generally, all superheroes with feathers make me suspicious.

Antifa
4/12/2009 11:26am,
This depends on which Hawkman you're talking about?
Carter Hall
Katar Hol (spy)
Katar Hol (Hawkgod spirit avatar thingy)
Carter Hall (back again an a mess of all Hawkies before him)

Dude... that...

was pretty goddamn nerdy.

And I know you didnt even have to look any of it up.

I mean having the details on Spiderman or Superman or some other big-title hero... okay.

But Hawkman?

When you deploy overseas does your comic book collection strain the the national strategic sealift capability?

DunkelAnanas
4/12/2009 11:57am,
So who would win in a fight? Birdman or Army Special Forces?

That depends on whether or not Birdman has access to sunlight. Or his briefcase.

Gezere
4/12/2009 12:00pm,
Dude... that...

was pretty goddamn nerdy.

And I know you didnt even have to look any of it up.

I mean having the details on Spiderman or Superman or some other big-title hero... okay.

But Hawkman?
C'mon its common knowledge that Hawkman suffers the worst continuity issues out of any other comic book character, and given he's a DC character that says something.

When you deploy overseas does your comic book collection strain the the national strategic sealift capability?
A tad bit but they wouldn't let me take them this deployment so I have my comic shop back home sending me issues in the mail. I was trying to explain to an Afghani who Black Alice was and that Batman was "dead." Very interesting conversation.

laevus
4/12/2009 12:48pm,
C'mon its common knowledge that Hawkman suffers the worst continuity issues out of any other comic book character, and given he's a DC character that says something.

I challenge this, based on the fact that Hawkman hasn't been split into three separate entities for any prolonged period of time, in which one third of him was carrying the name while the second piece of him was killed by the third. That was Aquaman, btw.

Plus, Power Girl's continuity is also pretty atrocious. So many frikkin re-inventions, the continuity... it screams.

Good god, DC really is horrid at tjat. O_o