PDA

View Full Version : My result of training in Korean Martial Arts?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

mytank4
4/01/2009 11:17pm,
I trained in Korean Martial Arts for about 2 1/2 years and i thought it was good. During this school year i got in 2 fights and now after watching the Matt thorton Videos i am now starting to feel like **** cause the training sucked. Once i get my drivers license im gonna do judo/muay thai.

1point2
4/01/2009 11:26pm,
How'd the fights go? Why'd they happen?

Good to hear you watched Matt Thornton. Remember that self-defense at your age is 98% keeping booze and car keys separate.

Beorn
4/01/2009 11:27pm,
I trained in Korean Martial Arts for about 2 1/2 years and i thought it was good. During this school year i got in 2 fights and now after watching the Matt thorton Videos i am now starting to feel like **** cause the training sucked. Once i get my drivers license im gonna do judo/muay thai.

Welcome to Bullshido! I'm guessing from the tone of your post you didn't win these fights? You will find around here that TKD does not have a good reputation, due to its poor consistency and limited ruleset. It does have things to offer though, IF you train with aliveness, and even then it is best used as a complimentary art. How long have you been wrestling? That is a martial art that has a very good reputation.

mytank4
4/02/2009 12:59am,
Welcome to Bullshido! I'm guessing from the tone of your post you didn't win these fights? You will find around here that TKD does not have a good reputation, due to its poor consistency and limited ruleset. It does have things to offer though, IF you train with aliveness, and even then it is best used as a complimentary art. How long have you been wrestling? That is a martial art that has a very good reputation.

i used 2 kicks in the fights and relied on wrestling and i won them both. I was wondering why i was wrestling more and not kicking as much. then i watched the videos.
I have only done 1 wrestling season and i love it. Do you think tkd would help me with muay thai?

mytank4
4/02/2009 1:01am,
i posted a similar thread in the Korean Martial Arts section but it got removed

mytank4
4/02/2009 1:16am,
How'd the fights go? Why'd they happen?

Good to hear you watched Matt Thornton. Remember that self-defense at your age is 98% keeping booze and car keys separate.

the first fight was that a guy through dog crap at me so i went up to him and punched him then we shoved each other, and the next day he went up to me during lunch and i asked him why the hell would you pick up dog **** and throw then he flipped out and started yell, so i agreed to meet him at the field. the fight started with a couple shoves, so i then punched him. After me making the initial punch he started to wind up to throw a haymaker so i started to back up and he missed then i proceeded with a decent round house(i am not sure if it even hurt him but it made him back up a little) then we exchanged punches and after a while i single legged him and he landed hard so i got off of him cause he looked hurt then he tried to get up and hit me but i just punched him while he was trying to get up and it cutt him on the face a little,so then i decided to just walk alway. After that i got a 5 day suspension. The second fight was more into the wrestling season and i was starting to win some varsity matches. I am not gonna go into details but it went with a side kick and a perfect double leg. I just laid ontop of him just holding him down wondering what i should do then my friend screams just punch him so i proceeded with that until the campus security guard came.

karma2343
4/02/2009 2:04am,
Judo and Muay Thai is a very nice combination, they are both very good in their own right and together balance out for a good combination of grappling and striking. Personally, the only Korean martial art I would take would be Hapkido, but even then I would be careful because there are a lot of fraudulent teachers from what I've heard.

1point2
4/02/2009 7:55am,
the first fight was that a guy through dog crap at me so i went up to him and punched him then we shoved each other, and the next day he went up to me during lunch and i asked him why the hell would you pick up dog **** and throw then he flipped out and started yell, so i agreed to meet him at the field. the fight started with a couple shoves, so i then punched him. After me making the initial punch he started to wind up to throw a haymaker so i started to back up and he missed then i proceeded with a decent round house(i am not sure if it even hurt him but it made him back up a little) then we exchanged punches and after a while i single legged him and he landed hard so i got off of him cause he looked hurt then he tried to get up and hit me but i just punched him while he was trying to get up and it cutt him on the face a little,so then i decided to just walk alway. After that i got a 5 day suspension. The second fight was more into the wrestling season and i was starting to win some varsity matches. I am not gonna go into details but it went with a side kick and a perfect double leg. I just laid ontop of him just holding him down wondering what i should do then my friend screams just punch him so i proceeded with that until the campus security guard came.

Methinks you should stop getting into fights. Seriously.

It is Fake
4/02/2009 8:01am,
Welcome to bullshido. Dog crap? Wow.

Stop fighting, go train, and try to avoid the situations.

Vorpal
4/02/2009 8:20am,
I'll see your 2 1/2 wasted years and raise you......ahhhh I'm depressing myself. I totally agree with the advice about avoiding fights. You get a pass for the dog crap one, throw that at me and it's on like a pot of neck bones.

omoplatypus
4/02/2009 8:53am,
i used 2 kicks in the fights and relied on wrestling and i won them both. I was wondering why i was wrestling more and not kicking as much. then i watched the videos.
I have only done 1 wrestling season and i love it. Do you think tkd would help me with muay thai?

i was very lucky in that the first big stretch of TKD that i did was pretty decent training. the flashy kicks were minimized (we learned them for doing demos, but that was it) kata was a way to practice moves, and sparring was life. i also wrestled 2 seasons in high school.

my limited knowledge of muay thai is that you will get benifit of already knowing ballance, but the kicks are very different in form and application. you can still compliment your training with the TKD roundhouse and, to a lesser extent, the spinning back kick. other than that, count the days to when you can do judo. you still get the pretty trappings of traditional martial arts, belts and all, and you get good training.

oh yeah, and stay on the wrestling team. that was the best thing i ever did in high school.

DerAuslander
4/02/2009 12:44pm,
i posted a similar thread in the Korean Martial Arts section but it got removed

Because I don't condone stupidity.

TxSanshou
4/02/2009 1:47pm,
My advice to you my friend get out of TKD as fast as possible and into muay thai and judo both are excellent martial arts very few schools teach TKD correctly trust me its a waist of time and money.

omoplatypus
4/02/2009 2:28pm,
very few schools teach TKD correctly

so sad, yet so true. tkd could be a usefull martial art, if they only.........

DerAuslander
4/02/2009 2:42pm,
...if they only taught Kyokushin.

Urban Achiever
4/02/2009 4:06pm,
...if they only taught Kyokushin.

Such a fun martial art. If you are interested in punching and kicking I would suggest Kyokushin. It is a lot of fun and you will fight hard. There are no longer many TKD's dojangs that teach full contact practical fighting anymore. You can supp your kyokushin training with Judo or wrestling and be just fine in a fight if you can dodge flying fecal matter. I don't know what art teaches dodge the turd technique.