PDA

View Full Version : Switching stance

vashanka
3/26/2009 5:41pm,
Quick question regarding stand up: seeing how fighting lefties is awkward, would it be advisable to switch my stance and train to fight left-handed exclusively, or would the time be better invested in trying to improve with my current stance?

Snake Plissken
3/26/2009 5:50pm,
Quick question regarding stand up: seeing how fighting lefties is awkward, would it be advisable to switch my stance and train to fight left-handed exclusively, or would the time be better invested in trying to improve with my current stance?

Both.

If you can improve your orthodox stance and learn southpaw, you are must adding more tools to your toolbelt.

Train being able to switch both sides so you are never at a disadvantage.

patfromlogan
3/26/2009 6:00pm,
Ditto, to fight from both stances increases your defensive and offensive capabilities. Though one side and one leg and one arm are almost always "better," being able to deliver and move from a variety of positions is a great benefit. In sparring, people who can only fight right or southpaw are much easier to pick apart.

Torakaka
3/26/2009 9:34pm,
Pick a stance and stick with it. I personally don't find southpaws any more difficult to deal with than orthodox people. It just opens up a different angle of attack (I love what southpaw stance people do for my right leg kick).

You can either learn to be mediocre with both stances or excel in one or the other, it's entirely up to you.

TEA
3/26/2009 10:25pm,
Spat, while I agree with you regarding the opportunities opened up by someone in a different stance than you ("open stance" in TKD parlance), I tend to agree with Snake with regards to training both ways and mixing it up. Because open stance does present some different options for attack and counter attack, I like to switch stances just to get that different look sometimes.

On a side note, since my left leg is actually a bit quicker than my right leg (fewer injuries), I find that Southpaws actually lend themselves a bit more to standing side kick counters with my left leg when I'm right leg back than when I'm in closed stance with someone.

Torakaka
3/26/2009 11:01pm,
Of course you like switching stances, you do TKD. Switching stances may have some merits, but it's going to mean you're dividing up your training time trying to work two different sets of techniques. While some people think the more "tools in the toolbox" the better, I find perfecting your basic skill set to be tremendously more valuable.

patfromlogan
3/29/2009 8:03pm,
Of course you like switching stances, you do TKD. Switching stances may have some merits, but it's going to mean you're dividing up your training time trying to work two different sets of techniques. While some people think the more "tools in the toolbox" the better, I find perfecting your basic skill set to be tremendously more valuable.

Hmmmm, I do see Kid's point. And I think that most boxers don't switch around a lot. However, do you practiced drills at all from your "other" side?

Like as a righty I do more slide step and drag with my left foot leading (and throwing left jabs etc) than in southpaw which would mean right ahead. But I still practice some as to avoid being one sided and to have some skill set when not in my righty stance.

I'd rather just stand in my best position and do overhand rights to one and a half inches back from the point of their chin, but the opponents don't let me.

Snake Plissken
3/29/2009 9:37pm,
I practiced it as a transitional move.

Omega Supreme
3/29/2009 9:49pm,
I'm going to compromise between the two. I have great success switching but I trained orthodox for years until I had a solid game. Then I went back to traditional switching. Works well for me.

vashanka
4/02/2009 8:33pm,
Thanks for all the advice; based on that I will be sticking to one stance until I am no longer an embarrassment, and then working the other one.
Cheers