PDA

View Full Version : Bully Beatdown on MTV

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Dagon Akujin
3/23/2009 10:40am,
Well, the first episode aired last night and I have to say, the show format is a bit disappointing. It's in 30 minute segments, so it feels more like an episode of "Date My Mom" or "Parental Control" than something dealing with a deserved ass-handling by an MMA fighter.

It was also disappointing because "the bully" on this episode was some rich kid's brother. Oh, you both drive $100,000 cars? You live in a mansion together? You're gonna get it! And after the beatdown they said how much they loved each other. That's right. It was a wee bit ghey.

Here are the rules:

Fight rules are simple -- there are two, 3- minute rounds of fighting with up to $10,000 at stake for each round. Round 1 involves grappling and submissions -- The Bully starts the round with $5,000, but will lose $1,000 every time he "taps out". If at any time the bully manages to submit the MMA fighter, the bully wins an additional $5,000 bonus. Round 2 is all about kickboxing -- the bully will win another $5,000 if he can survive 3 minutes of kickboxing with the MMA fighter and not get knocked out. If the bully gets knocked out, quits, or the referee stops the fight before the end of the round, he gets nothing. If the bully manages to knock out the MMA fighter, he gets a $5,000 bonus. Any money deducted from the bully in either Round 1 or Round 2 will go to the victims. (Please note, these rules are subject to change)

These rules are also subject to being retarded. The show last night alluded to the idea that some submissions may even be illegal. **** that though. I want to see a bunch of slicers so the bully can't even make it to round 2 in the first place. I'd also like to see some GnP with some elbows. I'd also like to see the bully not wearing headgear and take his beating like the bitch he is. I'd also like to see tasers, pepper spray, ball gags, zippers, and large latex phalic objects in play so that the bully has nightmares about his experience for the rest of his life.

The coach at my church's MMA gym filmed an episode, but they haven't told him when it will be on, and he's not listed as one of the fighters yet at the website. I'll have to ask him to post here when it does, or maybe at least find out with Ben if the rules have changed to being a little bit less retarded.

Also, we need some of our bullies to sign up for the show: http://www.onesourcetalent.com/castings/mtv-bully-beatdown/

Here's the original Bullshido post: Mayhem Miller on Bully BEATDOWN!! - No BS Martial Arts (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=82263)

YouTube - Bully Beatdown Trailer (leaked) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8_uhaByoBs)

Also, if you know someone at your gym who has been on the show, get them to post here about their experience. I'll try to do that with the guy I know who literally got paid to beat up an untrained fighter.

I give the first show only 2 out of 5 bj'ers. :lame::lame:

Dagon Akujin

Scrapper
3/23/2009 1:18pm,
Meh. I thought it was fun. It's a half-hour show, and it was low on substance, but the real meat was the fun of watching an untrained jerk face off against a real pro.

That's always entertaining.

Sri Hanuman
3/23/2009 1:59pm,
I don't know, too many rules and regulations take all the fun out of it. Still prefer Ultimate Surrender.

Uncle Skippy
3/23/2009 3:55pm,
The first episode needed to be a more heartfelt bullying story and not some sibling rivalry.

Granted, siblings can be rougher on each other than they are on other people, but still... A BIG FREAKING HUMMER IN THE DRIVEWAY?!? They don't need the $5000.

Finally, where the hell are the parents? If this is a true story (which I'm unsure of), the parents are douchebags for letting their eldest get KO'd repeatedly without repercussions.

The intro show's bully also needed to be more of a hothead as some of the others are in the leaked preview.

The only saving grace was Mayhem.

2/5

Hmmm.. I'm typing too much. Must have had too much Stevia this morning. It increases my typing speed, causes anal leakage, and gave my dog another tail. But I digress...

Snake Plissken
3/23/2009 4:10pm,
I wonder if there will be a bully beatdown episode where Stephen Davis gets someone to beat the piss out of "Bully Beatdown" cast member Michael Westbrook.

blisterstarr
3/25/2009 4:02pm,
Found a casting call for the show...

Mark Burnett Productions presents Bully Beat Down

CASTING ENDED
CASTING START: 5/5/2008 12:00:00 AM
CASTING END: 5/31/2008 11:59:59 PM
AGE REQUIREMENTS: 18 and up This casting has ended. For information on what happens next, check out the End of Casting FAQ's (http://www.gotcast.com/content/EndOfCasting.aspx).

Note: All projects assume the ability to make reasonable scheduling arrangements with all parties, including the person(s) ultimately selected for the project.

http://www.gotcast.com/images/themes/DefaultV2/titles/tm_castingdetails.gif

Mark Burnett Productions brings you Bully Beat Down

Are you a Bully? The person with a big scary bark who likes to intimidate or perhaps the person who is always talking about how tough they are. If so the producers want to put you to the test and see how tough you really are!

Getting scared? If you have not chickened out yet and think this is you then enroll in this casting call and tell us why you would be a great fit for this show.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

I should have figured, its typical reality tv-ness at its mildest. I knew people who where picked on wouldnt have the balls to turn in a bully like that.

Dagon Akujin
3/25/2009 10:44pm,
I spoke with Ben tonight a little about the experience. He said that he was the least known fighter on the show, since he's just going pro now. James Lee helped get him set up. He said it was totally cool hanging out with Jake Shields, Westbrook, Jeremy Horn, and of course Big John McCarthy. Ben did a lot of networking and got invited out to a bunch of gyms for a bunch of workouts.

He said that no moves were illegal in the submission part (I asked about slicers and heel hooks, and he said his first sub was a heel hook to kneebar), but that the producers told them not to actually injure the bullies. They said the only way a show wouldn't air was if the bully couldn't even make it to round 2.

All of the fights were filmed over 2 days, so all of the fighters saw everyone elses fights. I don't want to give away any endings though. :P Oh, the fighters made a whole lot less than the victims or bullies. Come on, Mark Burnett, give the guys some cash or something. You have millions of dollars.

The producers, of course, are looking for rules changes for the next season. They thought that going from grapling to striking would mean the bully would get real tired in round 1, and then get beaten senseless in the striking round. It apparently happens a few times too.

:)

DarkAardvark
3/29/2009 9:52pm,
They said the only way a show wouldn't air was if the bully couldn't even make it to round 2.

so lame.
i just watched the 2nd episode. im kinda sad that they just dont pummel the guy into the ground. it's pretty obvious that the fighters are holding back =\

in the 2nd ep. i dont think the bully ever tapped. i think the ref just jumped in and stopped it. it wouldve been moar awesome had the bully's arm been broken in half =]

Oh, the fighters made a whole lot less than the victims or bullies. Come on, Mark Burnett, give the guys some cash or something. You have millions of dollars.

super homo. how much does the show make from commercials? they could at least start the fighters with $5k and give both the fighter and the victims $1k for each submission / KO.
i think it would be fun to beat some dickwad up, but not being able to demolish the guy makes it pretty lame. but hey, if i were as talented as the fighters on the show, i think id be pretty happy to do it :D

and whats with the beginning part? is that stuff staged / rehearsed? it almost seemed as though the guys were acting. either that or mtv wanted to take multiple shots of them saying the same thing.

The coach at my church's MMA gym filmed an episode, but they haven't told him when it will be on, and he's not listed as one of the fighters yet at the website. I'll have to ask him to post here when it does, or maybe at least find out with Ben if the rules have changed to being a little bit less retarded.

at the end of ep. 2, they mentioned a church or someone 'not being very christian' or something for the 3rd episode. maybe he'll be on that one?
and what kind of church do you go to that has an MMA gym? thats pretty badass

but yeah, it's pretty disappointing that they dont just beat the bully into a coma. the bully's sign waivers, right?

Ungjaevel
3/30/2009 12:19am,
Mayhem was by far my favorite part of the show. Seeing some pudgy douche get smacked around wasn't as exciting as I expected, but Mayhem's insults did make me chuckle.

BSDaemon
3/30/2009 1:02am,
Best Quote of the episode:

Mayhem: "What do you know about grappling?"

Bully: "I know enough"

* joint damage ensues *

Dagon Akujin
3/30/2009 10:10am,
Episode 2 was at least much better than episode 1. The bully was a total dick who stiffed two guys out of rent. I still don't like the format though. Mayhem is a bit too "jokey" and silly, and I'd rather he have some sting and seriousness to the insults. It just seems so.... lighthearted?

And Ben is fighting someone who looks like me... some long-haired hippie douche. That may explain why I have a sprung ankle right now though. Maybe he was having memories when he stuck that lock on. :P *limp limp*

and whats with the beginning part? is that stuff staged / rehearsed? it almost seemed as though the guys were acting. either that or mtv wanted to take multiple shots of them saying the same thing.

The lead-ins were filmed months in advance. The actual fights for the entire season took place over 2 days, once all of the "interviews" had been filmed. So yeah, it's eMpTy V, I'm sure lots of it was somewhat staged (although I don't think they could have made up the dork saying "Kickboxing, it's what I'm good at" before falling down in his fight against the heavy bag).

i think it would be fun to beat some dickwad up, but not being able to demolish the guy makes it pretty lame.

How do say "Thai clinch"? Ef those 16 ouncers.

at the end of ep. 2, they mentioned a church or someone 'not being very christian' or something for the 3rd episode. maybe he'll be on that one?
and what kind of church do you go to that has an MMA gym? thats pretty badass

The preview wasn't Ben's episode, so I'm hoping the bully is a pastor's kid or something. God knows some of them need a good assbeating. The church I go to has a giant skate park (http://www.myspace.com/zerogravityskatepark)(used to have 2), concert venues, a dance studio, and a bunch of other stuff. The MMA thing just came together because another gym in the area closed down, and the youth pastor had been trying to get an MMA club going. Plus, they have lots of space. It's being run by one of the best connected boxing/mma promoters in Michigan. Ken Shamrock will be there next week or something (vomit).

Also, the youth pastor is looking to have an amatuer fight in the next year. :P

big maclol
3/31/2009 2:30pm,
I dont have any problems with bully beatdown
its a possiblity some of it is staged though, other then that
i enjoy watching it =p

danniboi07
3/31/2009 3:39pm,
I just saw both episodes online and I enjoyed them. The first one was definitely a let down like many people have said. I suppose they just wanted to get it out of the way to make way for better episodes later......at least I hope so. I gotta admit though, one of the reasons I wanted to watch this show was for that solar plexus kick. It definitely made the episode worth it.

The second was way more enjoyable. The guy really was a douche and he also agreed to move out if he lost. That makes the fight so much better in addition to the money.

I can understand the ruleset. If they were to do a straight-forward MMA match, the fight would be over in seconds. They're in the entertainment business and 15 second matches are not entertaining.

The grappling first round with up to 5 tapouts works because
- repeatedly humiliates the bully
- makes the fight last longer
- gives the bully at least SOME incentive since they can hope to win some money.

The kickboxing second round works because
- the bully sees it as a streetfight and believes they actually stand a chance
- easy KTFO
- everyone loves a train wreck

I can't wait for the next episode.

Rancid Pantaloons
3/31/2009 4:22pm,
I think it is a wonderful show. I really love watching some untrained guy getting his ass kicked by a professional:D

omoplatypus
3/31/2009 4:35pm,
meh, i'll watch it on bittorrent or something. it's an interesting idea, but MTV is sure to **** up pretty much anything these days.

Uncle Skippy
3/31/2009 4:38pm,
The grappling first round with up to 5 tapouts works because
- repeatedly humiliates the bully

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This. A thousand times over.

I'm waiting for a skunk with the submissions though. Bully gets nothing and is torn up for at least a couple of weeks.