PDA

View Full Version : Judo Randori and the old 'stiff arm'!

Pages : [1] 2

philmgriffin
3/19/2009 4:36pm,
ok I have accepted that learning to throw means actually being thrown, how can I get this across when everyone stiff arms?
Our coach pushes the whole relax and be more open but no one want's to be the guy that hits the mat the most. Is this just inevitable until we all get better and if I'm the only one that goes in open, will I be the one thrown down the most?

1point2
3/19/2009 5:09pm,
Stiff arming can be a true arms-out-straight-and-rigid or your opponent legitimately blocking, using kuzushi or jamming when you enter for a throw.

Learn to be good at defense and offense with a loose grip, and you'll leave the stiff-armers in the dust.

philmgriffin
3/19/2009 5:26pm,
aha that's interesting, I have stopped people getting in for a throw by straighting my arm to keep someone at bay, it felt like a very fine line between a block and a jab.

TheMightyMcClaw
3/20/2009 12:09am,
The short answer to that question is Tomoe Nage.

Munacra
3/20/2009 12:45am,
And some variations of Seio nage since stiff arming may keep you from closing the distance, but definitely not from changing levels.

Kentucky Fried Chokin
3/20/2009 12:51am,
This might just be the musclehead in me, but can't you just break their grip?

Munacra
3/20/2009 1:09am,
You are quite correct, my dear bucket of chicken, but a hard throw better explains the basic concept of "stiff arming=bad" on the beginner.

It worked wonders for me at the time.

Yamaarashi
3/20/2009 4:20am,
Train with higher belts, that way you get people that won't stiff arm and you learn not to do it yourself, advancing faster in the process.

ONE TWO THREE FOUR FIVE
3/20/2009 4:34am,
Do nothing, wait for them to attack whilst using ashiwazza on them, when they enter for a throw crunch them because you can see it coming from a mile away. That's the true reason stiff arming is bad, if you find that this doesn't work for you after a few weeks practice (Assuming you know a decent set of counters techniques) Your opponent probably isn't stiff arming you, they are legitimately pushing you away to break body contact when you enter for a throw.

Edit: And while I'm at it, make sure you are not stiff arming them, that tends to breed stiff arming in your opponents. One other point, try and get a throw in when your opponent comes to take a grip on you, if you can get a two-on-one advantage (You have two hands on his gi, he has one hand on yours) You should throw instantly, it's something I'm quite bad for not doing myself at the start of griping and stiff armers can be very vulnerable to it given their tendency to use the "Zombie advance" technique.

han090
3/20/2009 8:15am,
The short answer to that question is Tomoe Nage.Is that really a good idea to be suggesting to a semi n00b?

philmgriffin
3/20/2009 8:32am,
thanks for seeing me as a semi noob, glad I'm not a total noob after all :icon_wink I will be attempting yoko tomoe nage, as I find the twisting easier than pushing them over the top.

Coach Josh
3/20/2009 11:13am,
The way to properly deal with stiff arming is arm bars. OMFG WTF WHAT? Yes my friends standing arm bars. I cant link to the video right now but in a video I made in dealing with the cross grip I show the arm bar.

After a few of them I will guarantee they start loosing up at the elbow or wearing a sling.

Sasae tsuri komi ashi is also very effective. I would not recommend tomoe nage for beginner Judo people but for butt flop... uhm BJJ guys its ok.

creativo
3/20/2009 11:41am,
Sasae is great!

I also like to push against the stiff arm with my shoulder, and then hooking for kenken osotogari; if my partner escapes that, I'll switch to harai tsurikomi ashi on their retreating foot.

If the "beautiful judo" of above fails (as it can be the case with strong and experienced guys) go for the standing armbars, or you can try snatching your partner down and get a guillotine. CoachJosh, your attitude towards stiffarming is the same I was taught, I guess that's pretty much international judo culture ;)

Coach Josh
3/20/2009 1:02pm,
Good Judo is universal.

Hedgehogey
3/20/2009 2:13pm,
In my brief time in Judo, I find that stiff arming can only prevent movement of the upper body, not of the hips, and that only in one direction. I reccomend a big swimming motion, in to out, to take an overhook, then immediately either snapping the overhook and stepping out to the side or switching the overhook for a back of the neck grip. If you're having trouble with that, do a big russian that ends with you kneeling then switch your facing back so you're facing towards him and now you're way underneath his level.

ChickenBeakFist
3/20/2009 2:27pm,
You won't encounter much stiff-arming past the n00b phase. It only makes sense defensively until you realize it prevents you from also doing anything offensively. And anybody who wants to compete is going to have to do some serious application to break the habit because they're just going to get called for stalling.

With that being said my favorite response to being stiff-armed is to move my lead arm in a clockwise motion under my opponent's lapel grip and shoot it around their back and shoulders for a harai goshi or koshi guruma. Wrapping the arm around the waist and coming in for o-goshi has worked as well.