PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of taking up Greco Roman

Pages : [1] 2

FLMKane
3/18/2009 11:28am,
I've been thinking about taking up a grappling style recently. My first choice was BJJ, but we dont get it where I live. Judo would be a good alternative, but everything around where I live too sport orientated.

So I thought that if I was gonna do a sport I might as well pick a better one. We have a good Greco Roman gym about a half hour drive from where I live.

What do you guys think about it? Is it a good idea?

PointyShinyBurn
3/18/2009 11:32am,
Judo would be a good alternative, but everything around where I live too sport orientated.

So I thought that if I was gonna do a sport I might as well pick a better one. We have a good Greco Roman gym about a half hour drive from where I live.

What do you guys think about it? Is it a good idea?
I think you're confused. How is Greco a 'better' sport than Judo? Having submissions and taking account of clothes Judo is certainly more suited to direct combative application.

What are your goals? Why don't you try both Judo and Greco and see which one you prefer?

FLMKane
3/18/2009 11:44am,
I think you're confused. How is Greco a 'better' sport than Judo? Having submissions and taking account of clothes Judo is certainly more suited to direct combative application.

What are your goals? Why don't you try both Judo and Greco and see which one you prefer?

I see your point. Sorry I should have been clearer. Prepare for a long story

I live in Bangladesh and the state of MA here is sub par (not a single MMA gym, no BJJ blackbelts)

The Judo over here is sport orientated. They would prefer that you learn a few throws and good at them so you could compete. The submissions are treated as follow ups to a failed throw normally. Did I mention their competition record isn't that good?

So I got thinking that if I had to do stand up wrestling I might, I might as well take Greco. It's certainly great with the clinches. Moreover, I know the vice president of the Greco Roman wrestling federation. He's friend of my dad, and we work out at the same gym. So I'll have a wealth of advice if needed.

Real life combative application...well I don't get into street fights much, so it doesn't really matter to me. Even if I do Greco will certainly have an edge over the average goon that I sometimes have the misfortune to run to.

If I left out any info I'm sorry.

Did I mention I've heard of cases of some Judo guys getting pawned in street fights? It's that bad over here sometimes

Hesperus
3/18/2009 11:54am,
Not to mention the wealth of throws that utilize your legs and whatnot.

FLMKane
3/18/2009 12:01pm,
Not to mention the wealth of throws that utilize your legs and whatnot.

You do mean Judo right? I counted that in. However I was under the impression that Double legs at least are frowned upon in Judo. I would appreciate more info about that.

Goju - Joe
3/18/2009 12:06pm,
You do mean Judo right? I counted that in. However I was under the impression that Double legs at least are frowned upon in Judo. I would appreciate more info about that.

Double legs are also frowned on in Greco

However greco is a great throwing art.

As far as sub grappling meh

But a great throwing art

FLMKane
3/18/2009 12:08pm,
Doubles are banned in Greco. I not so stupid that I dont know THAT!

Just Guess
3/18/2009 12:10pm,
If you honestly think the quality of the greco training in your area is better than the quality of the judo training, then go with the greco.

Morote-gari (double leg) is not frowned upon in judo except be some traditionalists. When used correctly it's a great throw, and Judobum started a good thread in the grappling section on how to use it correctly. You're not allowed to use it at all in greco.

Hesperus
3/18/2009 2:41pm,
I, as a lanky ************, have no place in Greco.

However, there are skills and sets of techniques in judo that I could utilize quite well.

100xobm
3/18/2009 5:35pm,
Nothing wrong with sport when you don't know any grappling to start with. A good throw's a good throw. Your ne waza won't be BJJ great, but you can work on that later. Judo ne waza's still pretty good and you gotta start somewhere.

That being said i don't know anything about greco, Try them both. I'm mostly influenced by how nice people are where I'm training.

SoylentNinja
3/18/2009 6:03pm,
Hey if you know somebody who is really knowledgeable in Greco-Roman I'd say go for it. It is, like the others have said, a great throwing art. Also it never hurts to have a friend in a high place in an org like that.

Lindz
3/18/2009 8:54pm,
Have you considerred kabodi? Or is that only played in Punjab?

3moose1
3/18/2009 8:55pm,
dude, either or, you won't be dissapointed.

Judo is less homo ;)

FLMKane
3/19/2009 1:19am,
Have you considerred kabodi? Or is that only played in Punjab?

It's pronounced kabadi, it's our national sport, but it's even less 'combat orientated' then greco.

If I could find pehlwani it's a whole different story.

PimpDawg
3/19/2009 1:33am,
The only thing that makes the sport of judo less dangerous than its str33t application is the padded floor & mutual welfare. Take those two things away and uki gets a head-first landing on concrete.

Also the appropriate way to apply a sumi gaeshi on the str33t is with your shin on their jewels.

Jiujitsu77
3/19/2009 4:02am,
"Also the appropriate way to apply a sumi gaeshi on the str33t is with your chin on their jewels."

the only chin I want on my jewels is my wifes :)