PDA

View Full Version : A toast to the BJJ Blue Belt

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

JudOWNED
3/17/2009 9:20pm,
Now, I love Judo. When it comes to martial arts as a whole, Judo is second to none, imo. And, for a judoka, I'm pretty good on the ground. I've been exposed to BJJ, wrestling and Sambo. And I can routinely hang with guys on the ground that tool me standing up. Recently, I've found myself thinking (especially since I've considered entering some jiujitsu tournaments) that I'm "probably around blue belt level" on the ground.

Tonight, I got a reality check.

We had a BJJ blue belt, who was coming back after a year long lay-off, train with us. Now, granted, he is also a Judoka of the same rank as me. But, he was my size and "rusty." So, here was my chance to see if I was really "about blue belt level." Go me!

First roll he takes my back, face plants me and I chip a tooth. Ouch. For all that, I felt like I was competitive, since I got top right away, almost got Kesa, and managed to stall in his half guard for a while. And, at one point I had his back too. Alas, that was the closest I would get to inflicting any JudOWNAGE because, aparently, what I thought was a "competitive match" was really just him feeling me out and shaking off some rust.

He preceded to tap me out in EVERY ROLL after that. He tapped me with some bent arm locks (whatta you jits guys call 'em? Americanas?). Two in a row in fact. He tapped me out with that fist grinding choke from mount. He tapped me out with a nice traditional Kataha jime from the back. Shoot, he even tapped me out with a wicked face grind from mount, though in my defense we were rolling in a cage, which he had me pinned against, I was gassing heavily and basically could no longer breath.

Every time I would get a top position (and I did several times) he would scramble, pull guard or half guard and sweep. I basically felt like I could do nothing. And what was very apparent was that his ability to feel what was happening (slight shifts in the hips, balance, etc.) was light years beyond mine. Like when he jumped from side mount to mount perfectly in time with me shifting my hips to try and regain half guard.

He did teach me a cool half guard sweep that is probably BJJ white belt stuff but was new to me, though. So, it wasn't a total loss. :new_Eyecr

So, here's to you, BJJ blue belts! I will definitely be competing in the white belt div of any jiujitsu tourneys I enter.

PS. I though of posting this in Gitmo, so people could discuss some of the techniques that came up, but then I figured everyone would rather point and laugh at me.

omoplatypus
3/17/2009 10:19pm,
yeah, i must agree with you. i wont hijack your thread, but i am reminded of the day i asked a purple belt to "give me his all" because i wanted an accurate measure of myself.

potatoface
3/17/2009 11:05pm,
I don't know what belt I am either

should i just challenge everyone in the gym like a real life pokemon gym badge quest

TheMightyMcClaw
3/17/2009 11:16pm,
What ranks are you?
Sometimes, as a BJJ blue belt, I get down on my abilities because of how utterly destroyed I get by purple belts.
But then I fight someone who doesn't do BJJ, and I feel good about myself again. If you thought you had it bad, you should see what happens when any such blue belt (hell, white belt) takes on a guy with many years of TMA experience. It's a beautiful thing.*

*Actually, it's usually just a sloppy double leg followed and a RNC. But it's still beautiful in principle.

jnp
3/18/2009 12:40am,
Normally I would suggest throwing him to the ground in a curiously shaped arrangement of limbs, but since you stated he was the same rank as you in Judo, I'll settle for using this as an example of the beauty of cross-training.

Jiujitsu77
3/18/2009 5:27am,
We have quite a few Judoka's training with us, the one is ranked second in the heavyweight devision nationally (he 240 pounds) and then we had an Olympic Judoka (he competed last year and won his first fight) come to train.

Standup wise they amazing but I find if we keep low stances (wrestler) and shoot for the legs we don't get tossed around too much. On the ground they got solid base but give up the back too much

We learn from each other alot!

JudOWNED
3/18/2009 6:21am,
Normally I would suggest throwing him to the ground in a curiously shaped arrangement of limbs, but since you stated he was the same rank as you in Judo, I'll settle for using this as an example of the beauty of cross-training.

We did do some stand up and it was a wash. He favored the "jiujitsu stance" which, at my skill level, made it very dificult for me to throw him. However, everything he attempted only brought us down in a tangle with me on top, both times, IIRC. In fact, one of the times it even left me with his back. Of course, he was then always able to escape, reverse, yadda yadda. Rinse and repeat.

Goju - Joe
3/18/2009 7:00am,
We have a lot of Judoka at my BJJ school.

No, a Judo BB is not a Blue belt level BJJ player, especially if they don't cross train they give up their back waaay too much.

HOWEVER the skill set level to go from white to blue is much, much better for the Judo BB meaning I observe them picking the stuff up that much quicker.

AND

They have fucking Judo Grip, Most of my time know sparring with them is spent in not letting them get a secure grip on my gi.

So if you train BJJ regularly you should be Blue belt level pretty damn quick

Also in competition most BJJ blue belts don't have your level of throwing you just need to learn how to toss blue and purples. A good hard Harai O Goshi levels the playing field somewhat.

syberia
3/18/2009 7:16am,
So, here's to you, BJJ blue belts! I will definitely be competing in the white belt div of any jiujitsu tourneys I enter.

I know what you mean. I've been training a year and our resident blues toss me around like a doll. Its easy to feel unskilled when you're up against someone who out classes you in a particular area.

Also, in my experience watching Jiujitsu tourneys, the Judo guys will often get the take down. And those usually come with points. Take them down, get away, stand back up. Go for the points again. Tacky, perhaps, but it works if you're not to confident about the match i guess. I saw one judo kid do that all day. Except in two matches, i think, one in which he got the takedown and then held out for points and won. The other he lost to submission.

I'm not saying thats a default, or anything, just what i saw from one guy.

Coach Josh
3/18/2009 8:19am,
To all the Judo guys out there take this as a word of caution. Tighten up your newaza. Learn your base and stop giving up your backs.

Honestly its no real secret you need to do more newaza with competent ground fighters and get better at it. Start simple and move forward from there. Here are some basic tips for all you Judo guys.

1. When in guard sit you ass down and straighten your back.
2. Don't let them sit up when in their guard.
3. Use you knees to break the guard.
4. Pass one leg at a time.
5. Be a little more meticulous with you grips in newaza.
6. Stop flying into submissions set them up with proper position
7. Use what you know and stop making **** up on the fly.

The compliments that I get from the BJJ guys is that I am constantly on the attack and looking for a position but I am not loose. I also have a vise for a grip. Judo as the elements for good newaza you have to personally amplify them and place an effort into being good at it.

TheMightyMcClaw
3/18/2009 8:21am,
I know what you mean. I've been training a year and our resident blues toss me around like a doll. Its easy to feel unskilled when you're up against someone who out classes you in a particular area.

Also, in my experience watching Jiujitsu tourneys, the Judo guys will often get the take down. And those usually come with points. Take them down, get away, stand back up. Go for the points again. Tacky, perhaps, but it works if you're not to confident about the match i guess. I saw one judo kid do that all day. Except in two matches, i think, one in which he got the takedown and then held out for points and won. The other he lost to submission.

I'm not saying thats a default, or anything, just what i saw from one guy.

A lot of tournaments will stop giving you points after the first takedown if you're clearly employing this strategy.

creativo
3/18/2009 9:25am,
Nice story! I wish I could roll with a BJJ guy to "enjoy" the same feeling. I'm better on the ground than in standup, too, and we do more newaza than most judo clubs, so I wonder... I'll be wondering somewhat less from now on. Since I've been reading too much bullshido.net, lately I try to randori with more of a bjj mindset,always looking for submissions (instead of just going for the pin with the optional sub if it's there). But I guess I should focus on throws, to reap the benefits of that specific training, and be content with my mad newaza skillz (white belt bjj?? wondering again...)

ignatzami
3/18/2009 11:42am,
When I trained at Tai Kai in Syracuse NY there was a blue belt (well, several) that was probably a hundred pounds lighter then me. He was my nemesis.

I would give him hell when he missed class because I wanted to beat him, that was my goal, to get to the point where first I could defend against him, then hang with him, then submit him.

His control as a sparring partner was incredible, he was always just a little bit faster, just a little bit tighter, little bit more in control. The better I got the better he let himself be, it was a constant uphill battle.

I'd set up the techniques learned in class, or her would let me set them up, I'd get the new sweep or guard pass and he would just roll and we would start over. I roll as relaxed as I do mostly because he was so relaxed and so fluid.

I haven't been to Tai Kai in awhile and I think I may have to wander over just to see if he's there.....

pittfrog
3/18/2009 12:18pm,
Yeah, so the "What level are judo dan ranks equivalent to in BJJ" is an old topic that seems to resurface frequently. I'm a BJJ blue, and Judo 3d brown, so I'll offer my perspective. I train with 2 bbs who are good enough judo players to be ranked nationally in their weight classes. Those guys would have solid competitive rolls with most purples, and smoke blues at their weight classes and above easily. Some of that is due to time and experience on the mat, some of that is due to the 50/50 time in newaza/tachi-waza at our club, and some to the crazy athleticism both possess. They both can whip my ass, both standing, and on the ground, and I am not a pushover (although I am not special).

When I roll with other more recreational dan ranks, it's either even, or I have a large advantage, depending on the player. If I play against any judo rank below shodan, the extra time I spend in groundwork is very apparent.

WhiteShark
3/18/2009 12:34pm,
I really thought this was a joke thread by the title!

Ryno
3/18/2009 1:05pm,
Amen to cross training!