PDA

View Full Version : Jumping into the cold waters of Bullshido.net!

Pages : [1] 2

espm1000
3/16/2009 7:41pm,
Hi! :-)

thaclient
3/16/2009 8:43pm,
Hi!

Based on the three arts in your style field you really have less to fear around these parts than some others who wander over to BS.

Where and under who do you train Sambo?

espm1000
3/16/2009 9:57pm,
Hi!

Based on the three arts in your style field you really have less to fear around these parts than some others who wander over to BS.

Where and under who do you train Sambo?

I just started these three arts and will be adding some kenpo since it is fun and I'm going to focus mainly on self-defense. I have done the sport thing for a while (switching from Muay Thai and BJJ) and found that what was being taught is watered down versions of Muay Thai and BJJ that are a farcry from what they were originally designed for (the street/battleground).

I unfortunately had the displeasure of training under an affiliate of Mark Densberger, but have recently started training under Bill Cogswell who is a member of USA storm and is acknowledged by the ASA as a sombo coach. I believe he obtained a black belt in the USA Storm system under lance campbell and is ranked as an expert instructor, which means he has accumulated over 1000 hours of instructional time.

The Judo club I am starting to attend is taught by a rokudan who from what I am told is an amazing judoka.

I do combat jujitsu and kickboxing/boxing in the same school, but under different instructors. The combat jujitsu is basically MMA and the guy teaching it is George Kelly, one of the people that trained Curtis Bush, and the kickboxing instructor is Tom Poey.

cuatro76
3/16/2009 11:03pm,
Why do Ke?po? You are doing several superior arts already. Don't fall for the "Combat Sports don't work on the Str33tz" argument. Judo + SAMBO + Kickboxing sounds like a fine mix for self-defense.

espm1000
3/17/2009 9:18am,
Why do Ke?po? You are doing several superior arts already. Don't fall for the "Combat Sports don't work on the Str33tz" argument. Judo + SAMBO + Kickboxing sounds like a fine mix for self-defense.

In reality it is a completely different scenario on the streets in my opinion and experience. If I am in the street I want it to end as quickly as possible and do the most amount of damage in the shortest amount of time that I can.

Anyone who has had to defend themselves in the street know that the flight or fight response is much greater than when you are in the ring because you know that there are sanctioned rules to protect you, where in the street, there isn't.

The whole thing about kenpo is that it has to be adapted and is more of a theoretical art to present the person with ideas. I've done a lot of sparring in my time, so by no means am I a LARPer, but it would be nice to know some useful self-defense techniques. Look at the Glancing Salute and think of how many ways it can be adapted in a self-defense scenario to end the confrontation quickly and effectively.

I'm still doing the kickboxing/sombo/judo mix, but I'm also adding the combat-jujitsu and kenpo to the mix so I can get more rolling time in the jujitsu class and be presented with some new ideas within the kenpo since not all kenpo is bullshido.

Matt Phillips
3/17/2009 10:55am,
Anyone who has had to defend themselves in the street know that the flight or fight response is much greater than when you are in the ring because you know that there are sanctioned rules to protect you, where in the street, there isn't

This is a mistake. The guy in the ring is a trained fighter. He likely has speed, power and stamina beyond what you're likely to encounter on the street.

Welcome.

Kintanon
3/17/2009 10:58am,
Also, Judo == Fastest fight ender ever. Throwing someone on their head on the street = instant victory.
Anything else is going to be less effective in general.

Matt Phillips
3/17/2009 11:03am,
Also, Judo == Fastest fight ender ever. Throwing someone on their head on the street = instant victory.
Anything else is going to be less effective in general.

If I were going to rely on just Judo for street defense, I'd spend 50% of my time training no-gi Judo, and work it with a striking Uki if possible.

Kintanon
3/17/2009 11:08am,
You regularly run into shirtless people on the street? Weird....

Matt Phillips
3/17/2009 11:20am,
You regularly run into shirtless people on the street? Weird....
Less than in the past. Plenty of 'wife-beaters/A-shirts' though. Around here people looking for fights usually have their shirts off already. I think its a Hockey thing.

jnp
3/17/2009 11:31am,
In reality it is a completely different scenario on the streets in my opinion and experience. If I am in the street I want it to end as quickly as possible and do the most amount of damage in the shortest amount of time that I can.
What's wrong with disengaging or incapacitating and getting the hell out of there as fast as you can?

Anyone who has had to defend themselves in the street know that the flight or fight response is much greater than when you are in the ring because you know that there are sanctioned rules to protect you, where in the street, there isn't.
Are you basing this on personal experience or speculation? Have you ever fought in the ring before?

espm1000
3/17/2009 11:37am,
What's wrong with disengaging or incapacitating and getting the hell out of there as fast as you can?

Are you basing this on personal experience or speculation? Have you ever fought in the ring before?

Nothing wrong with disengaging and getting out of there, it's just I want to do it as quickly as I can before I can get a weapon pulled on me, someone comes to help the other person, or before anything else can go wrong. I feel that there are many more tools than just jiu-jitsu and muay thai that can be employed in such situations, especially since most jiu-jitsu and muay thai schools leave out what I believe is the core of those arts, such as krabi krabong.

I'm basing it on personal experience, and yes, I have fought in the ring. Before a fight my nerves are a bit frazzled, but in the street I feel much worse due to how unexpected the encounter could be.

I'm still doing the kickboxing, just adding kenpo in there as well. The best martial arts and artists are those who have taken bits and pieces from what works and adapt it for themselves.

Matt Phillips
3/17/2009 11:44am,
The best martial arts and artists are those who have taken bits and pieces from what works and adapt it for themselves.

Sigh... suit yourself.

sochin101
3/17/2009 11:50am,
Boston on St Paddy's day?
War Wheel will be running into shirtless, pantsless, green-painted guys all day and all night.

Oh, and welcome to Bullshido espm1000

Kintanon
3/17/2009 11:58am,
Around here if you start taking your shirt off before a fight you'll just get your ass kicked with a shirt over your head....
Must be a regional difference.

ignatzami
3/17/2009 12:47pm,
Around here if you start taking your shirt off before a fight you'll just get your ass kicked with a shirt over your head....
Must be a regional difference.

Christ, around here you take your shirt off before a fight you'll freeze your ass off before the fight starts 9.5 months out of the year and on the other 2.5 months you'll burn to a crisp by the time the first punch gets thrown.

I love NY!