PDA

View Full Version : Nube to MMA

brown recluse
3/11/2009 6:33pm,
New to the site.

New to the sport. Started at an MMA gym in October '08 after watching it on TV for 15 years.

I've always picked up sports quick and I'm fairly athletic, but I'm a complete retard at this. I'm running around like a chicken with its head cut off. Need help. You only get better by actually doing it, and I've got to start somewhere. But it's bad.

I've always been into proper technique before anything else so you don't have to correct problems later. I'd like to perfect my punching and striking first so I at least have SOMETHING. Any thoughts anybody?

Party.

danno
3/14/2009 5:30am,
train more. it's not uncommon to feel pretty retarded for a good number of months into training. there is a lot to learn, and you're still a noob.

if you train at a decent place, all you have to do is show up a few times a week and you'll improve.

patfromlogan
3/15/2009 8:50pm,
I've done some MMA training and everyone there (except me) was training for fights. The instruction is not centered around teaching proper techniques, most these guys already have decent striking skills and, of course, BJJ is the base art.

In the MMA, however, we stopped when hitting the ground usually (sometimes sparring went to submission, but not the drills); so sprawl attack/defense drills up and down the floor weren't carried onto the ground - that's for the other three nights of subgrap and BJJ.

Anyhow, Mr. Brown you might be better off spending your time learining striking (Muay Thai, Kyokushin or similar karate, or kickboxing) or ground (BJJ) or standup clinching and throwing + stuff (Judo/Sambo). After getting some basics down...

brown recluse
3/16/2009 10:50am,
Cool, thanks for the responses. I'll just keep putting in the time and hopefully it'll start becoming more natural and I'll relax.

patfromlogan
3/16/2009 11:31am,
Well perhaps I was unclear in my comments. You might consider more basic training before concentrating on MMA. Get some striking and wrestling skill sets down first?

Though I don't know how important the ability to use various techniques may be in MMA training. Left jab, right cross going to hook uppercut with proper distancing for instance would be, imho, essential basics to have down. As would combos used to set up takedowns, takedowns, some throws, and ground skills. The problem I see is that in MMA the instructor is teaching for example, the ways to use low kicks as repeated blows to weaken the opponent and also the ways to use the kicks to close and ways to avoid being open when kicking AND if you don't know how to do a good Muay Thai style low roundhouse or have the footwork down for distancing...

thaclient
3/16/2009 2:29pm,
I just wanted to say that your nickname makes me cringe after being bitten by one of those SOBs when I was a kid (despite supposedly not being found in South Florida).

On topic: Where are you located? There's bound to be a member from the same general area as you or one familiar with schools in the area. If not, we can collectively Google it. It makes possible school suggestions easier if we know where you're located.

MMAMickey
3/16/2009 2:49pm,
at the very least learn to box first.. at my mma gym newbs without any skills jus get taken to one side drilled on a few striking combinations and miss all the good stuff.. plus unless they have an actual boxing/MT coach what you learn in striking from them will most likely be very basic..leading to ass woopings

..i suppose i could've saved some time by saying listen to fug you don't know better

brown recluse
3/16/2009 3:33pm,
Once again, thanks for the help.

I'm at a really good gym in Santa Barbara. I'm just gonna have to spend more time there and ask more questions. And I'll have to get some private lessons to focus on the striking. I just need to get to a level where I can repeat endlessly on my own. That sounds like the best way to get some progress going. Right now, I can't relax long enough to get the feeling of proper technique because my head is too filled with everything from foot placement to hip movement to everything else. I'm gonna start hitting things more often. Right now, it seems like we mostly shadowbox or run through the combos in the air. It just doesn't give me the same feedback as hitting a bag. As soon as I can, I'll start sparring.

For the record, I'm not even doing any ground work because if I took somebody to the ground and they got up, I'd get my ass kicked. I figure I should learn to pummel and defend first.

Brown Recluse was a name given to my 1988 Ford Econline Camper Van. Super creepy.

Ka-Bar
3/16/2009 3:45pm,
Does your gym not have seperate striking and grappling classes or does it just have "MMA" classes?

Ideally, a good gym will have all 3, plus more. When a gym only offers "MMA" classes, it immediately raises a red flag, IMHO, that no one there is really qualified to teach any of the individual components of MMA, so they just call it MMA and hope no one calls them out on it.

patfromlogan
3/16/2009 7:42pm,
Remind me to post more when late for work... Jesus, **** editiing.

I don't know your school, but if you are in Santa B. TRAIN UNDER OMEGA!!!

Brown Recluse: TRAIN UNDER OMEGA!!!

He's the paler guy here:

That's all you need to do. TRAIN UNDER OMEGA!!!

thaclient
3/16/2009 8:41pm,
1. listen to fug

2. Have you thought about making a training log? Write down a few things after you're done with class regarding what you learned. Then go back over it at home. It might make things a little more clear and allow them to sink in so you're not so constantly worried about the minutia during class.

danno
3/17/2009 1:00am,
brown recluse, what i said before was assuming that this was your situation:

Ideally, a good gym will have all 3, plus more.

i must say that i've never seen an MMA gym that teaches MMA classes alone.

patfromlogan
3/17/2009 1:27am,
1. listen to fug

Wise words

brown recluse, what i said before was assuming that this was your situation:

i must say that i've never seen an MMA gym that teaches MMA classes alone.

Yeah, that's the case here; BJJ + Striking + Subgrap + MMA

So you found Omega's school yet?

brown recluse
3/17/2009 10:15am,
Yep, found Omega's gym.

Great idea making a training log. That's one of my problems. I forget all the little stuff once I leave the gym. Each day seems like my first.

patfromlogan
3/17/2009 12:33pm,
Well now that you've found him, bend over and take it like a man.