PDA

View Full Version : Krav Maga or Muay Thai?

Pages : [1] 2

ZenOne
3/11/2009 9:44am,
Hi, I have recently opened my eyes to the BS of many TMA (Japanese and some American?)--did a lot of Ninpo and JKD; either way, I am looking to start something with more substance.

I can either go to Tristar for MT (bear in mind I have no interest in doing MMA comps., I just want a good USEFUL training art) or I can go to Thierry Cimkauskaus for KM (he is one of the higher ranked instructors in the IMKF).

I am looking for an art that will involve some sparring (my only reservation about Tristar would be ego--so many people want to be fighters there and they might take it a little faster than I want), some valid cardio (I still train multiple times a week in everything from cardio to weights to even yoga) and some useful self-defense.

Any opinions would be appreicated.

Thanks in advance.

Heltern
3/11/2009 10:08am,
Hands down it is Muay Thai

Matt Phillips
3/11/2009 10:25am,
Muay Thai.

jsteel
3/11/2009 11:18am,
Muay Thai for sure, but why did you post this in MABS?

ZenOne
3/11/2009 1:21pm,
I would like to point out that I have the experience of the "illegal" stuff (ROFL)--gouges, bites, groin etc., from my previous training experiences; point is, I'm starting to think that I should do MT.

My main problem with Tristar from what I've seen is that most of the people there are there for MMA comps; I wonder how that would compare to my needs. I want to spar balls out but I also don't plan on partaking in any MMA fights. Any ideas?

Scott Larson
3/11/2009 1:52pm,
Is there a difference in sparring "balls out" and training for an MMA fight?

Matt Phillips
3/11/2009 1:56pm,
I would like to point out that I have the experience of the "illegal" stuff (ROFL)--gouges, bites, groin etc., from my previous training experiences; point is, I'm starting to think that I should do MT.

My main problem with Tristar from what I've seen is that most of the people there are there for MMA comps; I wonder how that would compare to my needs. I want to spar balls out but I also don't plan on partaking in any MMA fights. Any ideas?

I don't see what your hesitation is. Even at a traditional gym like Sityodtong (Boston) many, many people are training for MMA. It makes absolutely no difference in the sparring, except that among serious MMA atheletes the technical finesse with MT is somewhat lacking. Same with boxing.

The reality is that MMA is the source of at least 50% of the interest in MT. Every gym I know of is thriving on it, so the MMA people are training all over the place.

Sparring with them won't be any different than sparring with fighters at a MT only gym, except that the people are a bit more 'meat and potatoes' Thai boxers, if you get my meaning.

Tristar is a great gym. Stop reading this and get down there.

ZenOne
3/11/2009 2:22pm,
Well, it's just that I have a couple of buddies who trained there and they recently stopped (moved on in their careers), however, they had many problems with people there who felt they had something to prove.

I must admit that this is just hearsay but so I've heard...

Keep in mind I'm coming from a group of very chill, down to earth guys and that angry show-offs who feel that they are better than everyone else is NOT why I want to take MT. Just voicing my concerns based on what I heard.

Either way, I'm probably going to head down to Tristar anyways (or maybe Gamma--BTT) in MTL.

cyrijl
3/11/2009 2:27pm,
Both schools should let you try a class or two before you join.

Matt Phillips
3/11/2009 3:04pm,
angry show-offs who feel that they are better than everyone else is NOT why I want to take MT
OK, I agree that there is a attitude difference between the newer MMA-wanna-be crowd and the old Quiet-I'm-practicing-my-Ram-Muay crowd. In fact traditional muay Thai sparring is done pretty light, and not 'balls-out' at all. Balls-out is for pad drills.

That said, you are going to have to deal with these people if you are ever going to learn muay Thai. They are everywhere. This is a simple biproduct of the fact that MT has gotten popular because of it's inclusion in the standard MMA formula. If you can't stand the meatheads you're either going to have to train at a very traditional/respect oriented place like the Wat/Sitnarong in NYC, or try something comparable, but less popular like Kyokushinkai or San Da, if it exists in your area (which I'm assuming is Toronto).

ZenOne
3/11/2009 3:18pm,
Unfortunately it does not exist my area (Montreal); however, there is another school for Muay Thai run by Richard Ho who seems like a pretty decent dude and I discussed his screening process with him--he seems to weed out the freaks.

The Problem with Tristar (which is a FANTASTIC fighting school BTW) is that I heard they accept anyone--and because of their reputation (training GSP and the like) they attract the real a**holes.

Any credentials on Richard Ho (supposedly 2xUGC Lightweight Champion)?

Tersi
3/11/2009 3:48pm,
Or Judo! *hides*

Actually, MT is nice.

Hesperus
3/11/2009 4:50pm,
You shouldn't let the presence of idiots override what you want to do, in choosing a martial art or your life in general.

Do Muay Thai, it's great.

jimtattoo
3/11/2009 6:39pm,
Muay thai all the way, there's a good book by Erich Krauss and Glen Codoza called muay thai unleashed should wet your appetite, also try Saekson Janjira's dvds they are excellent, he runs a school in texas i think.

Matt Phillips
3/11/2009 9:23pm,
Unfortunately it does not exist my area (Montreal); however, there is another school for Muay Thai run by Richard Ho who seems like a pretty decent dude and I discussed his screening process with him--he seems to weed out the freaks.

The Problem with Tristar (which is a FANTASTIC fighting school BTW) is that I heard they accept anyone--and because of their reputation (training GSP and the like) they attract the real a**holes.

Any credentials on Richard Ho (supposedly 2xUGC Lightweight Champion)?

OK, I found the perfect club for you

Club Kozak has Combat SAMBO and SanDa Chinese kickboxing. That is a killer combo.

http://sambo2.tripod.com/kozak.htm

ZenOne
3/11/2009 9:43pm,
Looks pretty sick--I will check it out. Thanks.