PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience with FAST Defence?

Shawarma
3/04/2009 5:36pm,
I realise this may have been discussed before, but the search function's not very helpful.

Somebody recently talked to me about the FAST Defense self defense seminars, claiming it to be the bees knees. Looking up it's website www.fastdefense.com , I see that it's the Spaceman Beatdown style, with the bubblehead "Bulletman" padded instructors.

Videos of training: YouTube - FAST Defense Germany: Turning FEAR into POWER (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cahzksJshNk&feature=related)

YouTube - FAST Defense at MLK (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytieaa7E7lI&feature=related)

and YouTube - bullet man (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sznNjNq5a7E&feature=related)

Personal comments: Good level of contact for self defense but very compliant instructors who fly away when nudged. Could give students wrong ideas about their fighting prowess, IMO. Also, either no ground techniques were taught or they were taught very poorly - bad upas, uncontrolled flailing with no power on the ground.

Anyone have any personal experience with this? Keep in mind that the clips are from seminars rather than regular classes.

Urban Achiever
3/04/2009 7:23pm,
I did a FAST defense seminar with Bill Kipp a few years ago. Didn't learn anything new technique or theory wise. I was just fun to hit the bulletman as hard as you want. Other than that I wouldn't spend the money.

Dsimon3387
3/04/2009 7:24pm,
I think that Mr Kipp and I had words on another thread regarding the absolute value of this training as compared to those totally obsolete battlefield arts that were used by professional warriors in conflict... (yes I am being sarcastic).

Does this type of training have value? absolutely. It is good for people to recognize cues psychological patterns that emerge in conflict and how we react. Then we learn to act when we need too and how to become active in a conflict when we need too.

My problem is don't oversell the mule named maggy and call her a fine stallion. Watching the videos it is very basic training. Very basic things that would work against another untrained bully or rufian perhaps. Training that might teach one the rudiments of conflict for sure.

Is that important? yeah. Is it everything I mean are these people ready to go take on the gurkers the Morro and dojo storm the continents? Well maybe you can see my point in this regard.

Mtripp
3/04/2009 8:24pm,
My .02 cents...

There is a very old book called "Self-defense, steps to success" (note, the new edition is not like the one I am speaking of.)

The "techniques" were total crap, but the first part of the book where you learn how to de-esclate problems, and look for "goblins" is the best there is. Training in the first part of that book is real important...

...you need a more legitimate combative program for the second.

I feel the exact same way about Fast Defense. You need to learn the front end stuff.

Dsimon3387
3/04/2009 10:17pm,
My .02 cents...

There is a very old book called "Self-defense, steps to success" (note, the new edition is not like the one I am speaking of.)

The "techniques" were total crap, but the first part of the book where you learn how to de-esclate problems, and look for "goblins" is the best there is. Training in the first part of that book is real important...

...you need a more legitimate combative program for the second.

I feel the exact same way about Fast Defense. You need to learn the front end stuff.

Mr Tripp you have just stated it a heck of a lot better than my attempt above ha! The thing that killed me on the last thread was the attitude that suggested that martial arts traditional training was now obsolete since these gentlemen had tweaked the psychosomatic parametrs of combat! Sort of reminded me of my favorite Honeymooners episode (well at least the one that made me laugh the most) where Ralph is supposed to do a commercial with Norton about the "chef of the future."

madmonkey
3/05/2009 4:26am,
I love the idea of the bulletmen costumes as it should allow you to use full power techniques in self defence training.

However the techniques they are using seem poor. They appear to have little balance leave themselves open and to have very little striking power. The groundfighting techniques were particularly bad. I appreciate the need to get up off the ground as quickly as possible but the kicks they were doing wouldn't have hurt someone without padding let alone someone with it.

Urban Achiever
3/05/2009 7:20am,
I remember Mr. Kipp saying that the techniques he wanted us to use on the bullet man were basic gross motor techniques that he could teach to any regular Joe or Jane non-martial artist quickly. We did spend a lot of time talking about body language and de-escalation ect ect. The fun part was beating the hell out of the bullet man. He did caution a few of us to not go overboard on our techniques and stick to the techniques he wanted us to perform. That was hard to do :-).